It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Lasers built in USA.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The Bush administration is seeking to develop a powerful ground-based laser weapon that would use beams of concentrated light to destroy enemy satellites in orbit. The largely secret project, parts of which have been made public through Air Force budget documents submitted to Congress in February, is part of a wide-ranging effort to develop space weapons, both defensive and offensive. No treaty or law forbids such work.

www.ny times.com
The laser research was described by federal officials who would speak only on the condition of anonymity because of the topic's political sensitivity. The White House has recently sought to play down the issue of space arms, fearing it could become an election-year liability.

Indeed, last week Republicans and Democrats on a House Armed Services subcommittee moved unanimously to cut research money for the project in the administration's budget for the 2007 fiscal year. While Republicans on the panel would not discuss their reasons for the action, Congressional aides said it reflected a bipartisan consensus for moving cautiously on space weaponry, a potentially controversial issue that has yet to be much debated.

The full committee is expected to take up the budget issue today.

The laser research is far more ambitious than a previous effort by the Clinton administration nearly a decade ago to test an antisatellite laser. It would take advantage of an optical technique that uses sensors, computers and flexible mirrors to counteract the atmospheric turbulence that seems to make stars twinkle.

The weapon would essentially reverse that process, shooting focused beams of light upward with great clarity and force.

Though futuristic and technically challenging, the laser work is relatively inexpensive by government standards — about $20 million in 2006, with planned increases to some $30 million by 2011 — partly because no weapons are as yet being built and partly because the work is being done at an existing base, an unclassified government observatory called Starfire in the New Mexico desert.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Isn't there a law pretaining that any country that does develop space weapons for ANY use will be breaching a treaty?

This would give the United States an advantage that no other country is even thinking about.

What are your thoughts about this. I can't believe that this might be in use already if the budget was already given in white paper. Amazing.

[edit on 3-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well that sounds wonderful. Now we can take over the world with ease. I mean come on now. We can simply shoot down all the satellites of an enemy nation and they would have no ability to track our ground or aerial movements into their borders.

I guess this is it. America will conquer this globe through sheer force in this era. Probably the threat of asteroids and meteors would be gone as an imperial killer because of the lasser weapons that we can use to destroy them or change their trajectory.

At least we can hopefully build a moon base or something then.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm confused, in the opening you say that no laws or treaties have been broken, but in another you ask if they have been.

Regardless, I am not familiar with any treaties that restrict the building of offenseive lasers. Its against treaty obligations to have satellites with[/] weapons, however.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
We would also be able to destroy an enemies early warning satellite system in preparation for a preemptive nuclear strike.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I don't know why this doesn't sound a news to me. I remember few years ago reading something about lazer weaponery and technology and as far as I know USA is in the posess of this techonology since 1970 or early 80'.

[edit on 3-5-2006 by Telos]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Telos you probably read that this technology was being researched and debated in the 70's and 80's. It has not been until recently where our level of technology has actually been able to turn concept into reality.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Telos you probably read that this technology was being researched and debated in the 70's and 80's. It has not been until recently where our level of technology has actually been able to turn concept into reality.

What I meant was secret technology. Read Fire From The Sky if you can. Click here: Fire From The Sky

Go almost at the bottom of the page and you find there as e zip file

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Developing the laser isn't the problem--pointing the damn thing accurately at the target for a long enough period to do destructive damage is the real problem.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
i guess it could be worse...it could be a laser weapons system that is fired FROM satellites....now that would really be something to fear...if it isnt already out there.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'll bet Canada will be assisting in that and many other DOD things.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Haven't we (U.S.) been trying to develop these for years? Ever since Sputnik first went up...

Don't quote me on that though.

At least they finally decided to go more public about it; I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the lasers were already fully functional and ready to go at any time.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
In a sense, the reason why the US has this system is because of international treaties. If there was a weaponization of space allowed, the US could, for example, easily destroy enenmy satellites by having a set of its own satellites that would fire projectiles at them. Instead, its had to use this complex and difficult laser system.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
The U.S. already has the capability to take out low orbit satellites by firing missiles from zoom-climbed F-15's & other aircraft, but I am not aware of any reliable capability to take out higher orbit stuff or geo-stationary stuff. That is why such a laser system has been proposed--not built as the thread headline says.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
In one of my computer classes a guy with a Ph.D, from one of the major universities in the United states has told me, that if we wnted to, Europe's or however's satelite system could be taken over digitally. The US doesnt have to reort to ground based lasers, however I suppose this might also be part of a missile defense program as well.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
In one of my computer classes a guy with a Ph.D, from one of the major universities in the United states has told me, that if we wnted to, Europe's or however's satelite system could be taken over digitally. The US doesnt have to reort to ground based lasers, however I suppose this might also be part of a missile defense program as well.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Theoritically, any satellite capable of being controlled from the ground can be taken over digitally. I would be shocked if many countries do not have plans to attempt such takeovers in the event of global war. Conversely, anti-takeover measures have been, and are being attempted. However, such measures are not much more effective than firewalls and anti-spam filters.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I know that pointing is not the problem their is several experiences of high accuracie pointing for an long time (US at least).

I personally think that destroing the satallites is worse since is more junk wondering around earth (not to talk about those millitary stuff with nuke power, falling around the globe)

"Star wars" programs ... is more possible ... but for what? The nuke power is more easy to do than an satallite that will destroy cities.

Fear that someone will watch u, don´t bother Google will do it

Thx

top topics

join