It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homesteading reading- magazine/book recommendations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I am getting more into homesteading and the self-reliant lifestyle. I used to read Backwoodsman magazine and stopped a few years ago. Went to the bookstore today and there are now about a dozen magazines there, from Mother Earth News to many I've never heard of. Can anyone recommend some over the others?

Also looking for a suggested reading list. I have a few books that are all over 10 years old but wondering what may have come out since then.

Also seeking to network w/like-minded individuals in New England...send me a U2U if interested...

[edit on 2-5-2006 by therainmaker]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
One of the best things I've seen so far is Backwoods Home. Their Anthologies are where its at, all the good information condensed down to a core collection. No specific book titles come to mind but hit up the local Books-a-Million or other such store and in the outdoors section there should be plenty of self-reliance type material to read over, also dont forget to check a local library for such information.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Have you read any of the Foxfire series? These are great examples from the Virginias,mountain folk. A wealth of info is within the series authored by Eliot Wigginton.
Also, many people like us live in my state, Alaska. You can still obtain land here actually to homestead.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies folks.

No I'm not familiar with Foxfire...works of fiction, or what are those books? I'd much prefer to spend my time reading useful info than fiction, no offense, but I'd still consider if they were worthwhile. Right now the only story-type book I plan to read is a book a relative has about a gentleman who spent a year of solutide on the Cape Cod National Seashore, kind of like Walden.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Foxfire is a series where students, and other people document how mountain folk live, how they survive off the land. It is a series of 5 books I believe, I have 1 2 and 3. A vast wealth of information concerning everything with living off the land. Invaluable information.

Cug

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Foxfire is up to 12 now... they put out a new one every few years. GET THEM! If for nothing else it's an incredible history lesson for those who can't imaging life without a cell phone.

As for other magizines.
Mother earth news is still good, if a bit yuppified IMHO
Countryside & small stock Journal also excellent.
Backwoods Home another good one
Ive seen a new one called hobby farming or something like that, haven't bought an issue yet.

Backwoodsman magazine is ok... but I prefer the ones with a more agricultural slant like the above.

If your a novice at raising critters, the Storey's Guide to Raising ... (Chicken, poultry, hogs, beef cows, horses, etc...) book series can get you up and running in no time.

Storey's Basic Country Skills has a bunch of info on just about any homesteading topic you can think of.
The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery is another good one.

Another place you should check out
www.homesteadingtoday.com...

top topics

join