It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THIS is the big bird flu plan???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
THIS is it?? God help us. We are screwed.

Keep people 3 feet from each other.
Put masks on if you cough.
Geeeze .. who wrote this? 1st graders??

www.newsmax.com...

NewsMax.com
Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Employers should have plans to keep workers at least three feet apart, colleges
should consider which dormitories could be used to quarantine the sick, and flight
crews should have surgical masks to put on coughing travelers under a draft of
the government's pandemic flu plan obtained by The Associated Press.

The Bush administration forecasts massive disruptions if bird flu or some other
super-strain of influenza arises in the United States. A response plan scheduled to
be released at the White House on Wednesday warns employers that as much as
40 percent of the work force could be off the job and says every segment of
society must prepare.

Good luck with this -

Institutions in danger of becoming overwhelmed will rely on the
voluntarism and sense of civic and humanitarian duty of ordinary Americans."

I'd like to know how they came up with this figure -

The government is preparing for a worst-case scenario of up
to 2 million deaths in the United States.

And frankly - if 2 million people suddenly die (a figure I consider to
be very low) - that will put a SERIOUS hole in the entire infrastructure
of this country.

Considering that there is a probability of a 91% fatality rate in those
infected - www.abovetopsecret.com...
I think the figure of 2 million dead is VERY low!!

[edit on 5/2/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Could always opt the UK method and just dig mass graves?
Britain's Contingency Plan vs. H5N1 Pandemic

seekerof

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I saw a brief story on this on last night's CBS news. Thanks for the link.

What enrages me is that the government won't close the border because it would "only delay the spread by a few weeks"! How many lives could be saved if the spread was delayed for a few weeks? Thousands? Millions?

The whole half-baked plan makes me believe the government has an "acceptable loss" number already picked out, and they're only making plans to save the rest.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The 3 foot thing is actually sensible, flus don't transmit through the air over more than 3 feet. OF course, if there is an avian flu outbreak, it'd be best to keep people at home, rather than go to work. And it silly to suggest that everyone be moved three feet apart, in the middle of its spread, because, I mean, what exactly, people are going to start breaking up their cubicles? Get bigger conference rooms? Not work registers????

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
it silly to suggest that everyone be moved three feet apart,

Exactly. Try keeping a room full of first graders three feet apart.
And doesn't everyone in offices and schools use the bathrooms
after each other ... door handles get touched ... and so on and
so on. And will each child get their own seat on a school bus?
and will they get off the bus one at a time and not come within
three feet of each other?

THIS is the best they could come up with??? dumb.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think they are also planning on a cooty shot, pass it on chain that should slowly stem the flow of death. my family has already taken the necessary precautions. we give eachother the dreaded cooty shot each morning and my wife and I have been keeping the suggested three feet of buffer space between us since my son was born.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Work at home?

I hope the neighbors won't mind the big airplane in my driveway.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

...my wife and I have been keeping the suggested three feet of buffer space between us since my son was born.

Thanks for that one crakeur.

...Bird flu - and so many other new diseases - arise from industrial agricultural practises like monoculture, feeding animals other animal parts, unregulated shipping and so on.

The H5N1 epidemic in wild birds could have been prevented and the pandemic contained - but it would have cut into corporate profits. So nothing was done. Now it's too late - small farmers have been destroyed and the poultry industry has been decimated in Asia.

Western industry and political did not want to pay the costs for safe agriculture or to quarantine their animals - the decision to quarantine people instead was made about 3 years ago.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The public transit system will be the death of mankind. At 5 o'clock, it's nearly shoulder to shoulder at the bus stations. The moment H5N1 is discovered in the NE, I'm going home, and I won't come out until it's over.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Tell me, is this flu ever really going to come to fruition and wipe out millions of people? I mean, we've been hearing about this for months and a couple people have died here and there. Lots of birds have died. The virus has traveled from this country to that. But that's about it. Are we going to laugh about this in a couple years? "yeah, remember when the media had us worried we were all going to die of bird flu." I mean, what is going on??? It almost seems like the governement is preparing us because they're the ones who are going to drop this virus on us (population control maybe, who knows???). It almost feels like there's a deadline for this bug? Like we're counting down to infection? What kinda outlook is that? Why not just get prepared and shut up about it? Why the hype...we're all gonna die eventually anyway? Do we really need to be terrorized by this in the media? All it does is stress people out, make them paranoid and worried. What good is that?

[edit on 3-5-2006 by zerotolerance]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I stopped fearing the flesh eating bacteria and started fearing sars. I stopped fearing sars for the bird flu. I will stop fearing the bird flu for some new media hyped super bug that is going to wipe out the planet.

and then an asteroid the size of texas will smack into the ocean, creating a tsunami that will flood the US and we will all die

I shall forever lie in my bed afraid

or not

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance
Tell me, is this flu ever really going to come to fruition and wipe out millions of people?

If not H5N1 bird flu then something else will mutate, evolve and wipe out millions of people, yes.

The deadly H5N1 bird flu which is currently sweeping across the globe is not the only potential candidate virus for the next human flu pandemic strain, experts have warned.

I mean, we've been hearing about this for months and a couple people have died here and there. ...Lots of birds have died. The virus has traveled from this country to that. But that's about it.

Scientist have been warning authorities for decades that we are changing our world, and forcing life to adapt to the changes - and microbes mutate and adapt far, far more quickly than any other life form. Which means they might kill us before we catch up.

The writing is on the wall big time with new diseases, new forms of old diseases, rising extinction rates in animals and untreatable chronic disease in people.

The pandemic in birds already has decimated the poultry industry and wiped out small farmers in numerous parts of Asia. And there's more to come.

As far as human cases - only acute cases are tested - I suspect that many people have been infected with H5N1 and are at least partially immune. But back to the other microbial threats...

Are we going to laugh about this in a couple eyars? "yeah, remember when the media had us worried we were all going to die of bird flu." I mean, what is going on??? It almost seems like the governement is preparing us because they're the ones who are going to drop this virus on us (population control maybe, who knows???). It almost feels like there's a deadline for this bug? Like we're counting down to infection? What kinda outlook is that? Why not just get prepared and shut up about it? Why the hype...we're all gonna die eventually anyway? Do we really need to be terrorized by this in the media? All it does is stress people out, make them paranoid and worried. What good is that?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance
is this flu ever really going to come to fruition

www.foxnews.com...
Worst virus he's ever seen ....
Also - did you view the ATS thread that the virus is
91% deadly for those who catch it?? It's a very
good read.

Are we going to laugh about this in a couple years?

I think the survivors will be too busy trying to stay alive in
the 'new world' to be much in the mood for laughter.

That's my opinion.

top topics

join