It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dell Laptop won't start up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
A friend of mine asked me to try and fix his laptop. The issue with it is the following:

When your press the power button, the green lights come on and then go off again after about 2 - 3 seconds and dies. I have tried the laptop with the battery in and out. I have taken it all apart (taken out processor, memory, etc) and put it back together again - still no luck.

It is a Dell Latitude C510 / 610. I have never encountered this type of problem with laptops before, but then I have never used Dells before (try and stay away from them). I have done a little research online and found that it could be a number of things:

* Dead battery, and even with it out - laptop won't work - common dell problem
* Bad motherboard
* Something wrong with a type of power adapter inside

I was wondering whether any of you had this type of problem with any laptop? I would like to fix it, as if I do - I may get to keep it (since my friend is buying a new one anyway).

Any help or advice would be great.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Have you changed/put the wrong ac adapter in by mistake? I did this once and a similar thing happened.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Xeros]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Not that I know of. I just got all the gear from my friend. It is a Dell AC Adapter stating: 90W.

Ah... I just noticed something... It has "3D systems" on it. I know he took it to a local computer shop, they must of gave him a new adapter but I think this was after the problem, i.e. he took it to them to have a look at, but they quoted so much just to look; hence why he gave it to me. Who knows, I'll ask him.

I am sure though that it is the correct AC adapter.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Just spoke again to my friend. Aparently he got the new AC adapter from them a while ago and the laptop still was working fine for a while (not sure how long), this is a new problem. So I have confirmed it: The AC adapter is the correct one (or at least, should be!).

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
THe memory is loose. On the bottom of the laptop there is a panel with the letter M next to it, open it up reseat the memory. If that doesn't work then it's the other chip, which is located under the keyboard. If your friend just bought it then Dell should do this for you.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I've dealt with similar issues, especially with older Dells, and as Rasobasi420 mentioned 9/10 times it was either a loose or faulty memory module.

If there are more than one try removing either/both respectively, otherwise find an appropriate replacement.

Let us know how you make out ?!

$.02

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Should be the right adapter? Have you doubled checked the power information? (yeah, that's what got me. My uncles laptop was working just fine and then one day, it just stopped. The charge light wouldn't come on unless I played and moved the adapter because I was using the one the PC repair shop supplied... I tried the original one and it'll work with only some difficulty. I checked the power information and there was a small difference so...) Other than that, I have no clue.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I have taken it all apart numerous times... As in completely apart. It has two memory modules which I have tried one at a time, no luck. I unfortunately don't have any other memory modules I can try. I could get hold of some from a mate so I will give that a try.

I don't think it's a power cable issue. The battery still has some life in it I found by using the check light (4 lights light up, so it has a small amount left) and even with that in, it still won't start.

I have checked the fan - seems to be OK. It doesn't spin when the laptop is turned on, but then it doesn't stay on long enough for it to.

I have read on numerous other forums online (while I was researching the problem) that it could be to do withe CMOS? Do any of think this could be a problem? If so, what could I do? Other people have also mentioned the CMOS battery?

I am literally stumped. I just hate giving up, especially since I have a strong feeling it's something silly and easily fixed.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I am now trying to find a manual for the motherboard. It uses an Intel 830M. Anyone know what I can find one online? I have looked everywhere I can think of.

I just want to try everything to get this damn thing to work! I want to see if there is anyway I can short circuit the CMOS battery (to reset it) without having to solder. If I need to, then I will - just don't want to.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
You can also call Dell Support. I believe it is free to call them. Even if your Dell machine is 10 years old. It only cost money if you order a service from them when your laptop is out of warranty. Call them and they might have a solution for you. If your lucky the solution might be free of charge as well. You'll find their phonenumber on their website.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Cheers Hullmutt, I will try that. I didn't do that before because I thought the phone call would cost a bomb.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Nope, it is free. I'm 99% sure.

You'll need your serviceTag when you call them. It's a number you'll find on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop. It's typical 5 or 7 numbers and characters. On the same sticker is a "Express Servicecode" which can be used alternately to the serviceTag (it has only numbers) for instance if the serviceTag is not clear somehow or if you got some trouble pronouncing certain characters on the phone

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Ok, just called Dell.

The man told me the motherboard is bad. I called the parts department for a quote on a new motherboard (just for curiosity). They told me they will call me back in 10 minutes.

So this will be a laugh, I wonder how costly a new motherboard will be!

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Good luck, several places told me that my uncles laptop issue was most likely the motherboard (when it was really just a broken peice of plastic) and they all told me $800+ for a replacement mobo. Hopefully you won't get royally screwed.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Well I won't buy anything from Dell directly, I was just curious.

Ebay sell numerous motherboard bundles / spare parts for that particular laptop so I can just get one from there. It's up to my friend anyway, what ever happens I will do all the labour work for him for free.

When he originally took it to a local PC shop they quoted him £45 just to have a look, then a few hundred pounds to replace the motherboard - so even if it all comes to £50 for me to get the spare parts and fix it, he will save a lot of money.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I have 2 dell laptops
the fall back when you call them is always..."you need a new motherboard"

Just a thought..

When my laptop started doing that, it was a DEAD DEAD battery. There has to be e little left in the battery for a dell to boot even when connected by the charger>

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I have an update on my problem.

I managed to get a new base unit (motherboard, processor and plastic base) on Ebay all for £45 - really good buy if you ask me. I plugged it all in, and it worked!

Then another problem came along, the first time it powered up fine and loaded Windows. Second time, the screen flashed and went off whilst the computer was still running. It was still running, just no video.

I plugged it into an external monitor and it was fine, so it was the screen where the problem existed. I didn't want to splash out for another screen, since it was a mate (he's paying, but he didn't want to buy a new screen).

I eventually fixed this problem... It turned out to be the flex cable in the LCD screen loosely wrapped - well, I am guessing that was the problem - either way, it's fixed now anyway. I just hope it's fixed for a long time and will not go again.

Just thought I'd update interested people. Thank you for all your help.

top topics

join