It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enrichment upto 4.8%

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Source

Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, May. 02 – Iran announced on Tuesday that it had managed to successfully enrich uranium to 4.8 percent, up from the earlier figure of 3.5 percent.

The head of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI), Gholamreza Aghazadeh made the announcement in an interview with the state-run news agency ISNA.

The report said that Tehran did not plan to carry out uranium enrichment to more than 5 percent.

The announcement came as high-ranking officials from the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council as well as Germany are gathering in Paris to discuss steps to take over Iran’s decision to commence uranium enrichment.

Aghazadeh said that the Islamic Republic was unwilling to forgo its “right” to carry out enrichment.

Both the council and the International Atomic Energy Agency had called on Tehran to suspend all uranium enrichment activities, fearing that the radical theocracy was trying to develop nuclear weapons.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If Iran really had the intentions to use their enrichment program for peaceful purposes only, then why are they continously putting oil on the fire?

Why do we have to know their achievements if it's for peacful purposes only. Western countries with nuclear ability neither publicate their enrichments achievements.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Yeah its like Iran is rubbing it in our faces...
I don't understand why they just don't let the inspectors in with unrestricted access and prove its a civilian program. Or at very least, quit the 'We're gonna annihaliate Israel' rhetoric.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
from

h ttp://today.reuters.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Israel will be Iran's first target in response to any "evil" act by the United States, a senior commander in the Iranian Revolutionary Guards said on Tuesday.

"We have announced that wherever America does something evil, the first place that we target will be Israel," Revolutionary Guards Rear Admiral Mohammad-Ebrahim Dehqani was quoted as saying by Iran's student news agency ISNA.

The United States says it wants Iran's nuclear standoff with the West solved diplomatically but has refused to rule out military action.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Whiskey]

[Mod edit - link shrink, quote fix]

[edit on 2/5/2006 by Umbrax]

Sep

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Why do we have to know their achievements if it's for peacful purposes only. Western countries with nuclear ability neither publicate their enrichments achievements.

All signatories of the NPT must announce their nuclear capabilities and be completely transparent about their programs. It is ironic that people accused Iran of being secretive at first and condemned Iran for it, but now are criticizing her for being too transparent. I guess you can't keep everyone happy.

Originally posted by Whiskey
I don't understand why they just don't let the inspectors in with unrestricted access and prove its a civilian program.

Iran's nuclear program is one of the most inspected programs in the world, around 1500 hours have been spent inspecting, making it one of the most visited nuclear program in history.

Originally posted by Whiskey Or at very least, quit the 'We're gonna annihaliate Israel' rhetoric.

A quote from a few days ago by Iran's ambassador to the UN, Javad Zarif:

"We have not and will not attack or threaten to attack another country." This is in reference of whether they will attack Israel. But it didn’t make much news, because that may change the perception that Iran is evil and is planning to take over the world.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Sep]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sep
All signatories of the NPT must announce their nuclear capabilities and be completely transparent about their programs. It is ironic that people accused Iran of being secretive at first and condemned Iran for it, but now are criticizing her for being too transparent. I guess you can't keep everyone happy.

Sep, in all that self-claimed 'transparency' that you assert Iran is doing, why have they not allowed the IAEA inspectors in to verify that alleged 'transparency'? Why has Iran not let the IAEA inspectors verify all Iranian nuclear related sites, including those that are underground? You can profess 'transparency' all day long, but the truth is that Iran is not being "transparent" and is still in violation of the NPT, according to the IAEA. Pretty good coming from a nation that has told the UN that they "do not give a damn," eh?

Originally posted by Whiskey
Iran's nuclear program is one of the most inspected programs in the world, around 1500 hours have been spent inspecting, making it one of the most visited nuclear program in history.

Umm, no, see above.

A quote from a few days ago by Iran's ambassador to the UN, Javad Zarif:

"We have not and will not attack or threaten to attack another country."

Stop!!
Javad Zarif is a bald face liar, Sep.
Iran has and continues to threaten Israel and the U.S., among others.

IRAN RECRUITS 8 INSURGENCY CELLS FOR ATTACKS

Iran threatens U.S. with attack
Iran Threatens Suicide Bomber Attacks
Iran threatens Israel with annihilation
Iran threatens Israel
World denounces Iranian president's call for Israel to be 'wiped off the map'

Tell you what: if Iran wants to be treated differently, then Iran should stop pursuing nuclear weapons and give up terrorism.

This is in reference of whether they will attack Israel. But it didn’t make much news, because that may change the perception that Iran is evil and is planning to take over the world.

Umm, it made more news than your willing to admit.
Such a proclamation by Iran against Israel was denounced by over half the world, Sep.

seekerof

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have to agree here with Seekerof. And why am I thinking that the rhetoric coming from the Iranian administration is aimed at provoking an action from the US and/or UN that may draw China and Russia into Iran's corner. With China and Russia's considerable vested interests in Iranian natural resources, this gives me a very unsettling feeling. Could Iran be the puppet?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Iran is using physicological warfare against the USA and Isreal because they seem to think they are the only countries capable of doing so. Isreal is worried because its not exactly loved in the middle east and Ahmadijans comments on the "wiping out" Isreal off the map, refelcts what 95% of the middle east belives.
Iran is entiltled to make threats just as Bush has the right to say "we will take premtive action" against other nations. Iran is simply saying if we are attacked naturally we will reply with violence. I doubt Iran will take premtive action by remember the US has already said it will.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
to Seekerof
I dont see Isreal being a signiture of the NPT?
People should be happy that Iran even allowed IAEA inspectors in when the world knows 2000km away Isreal is happily producing nukes.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iraqi_king
to Seekerof
People should be happy that Iran even allowed IAEA inspectors in when the world knows 2000km away Isreal is happily producing nukes.

First off, your deflecting.
Secondly, becoming a signatory of the NPT is an option, not mandatory.

Your correct, Israel is not a signatory of the NPT because it opted to not become an abiding signatory/member of it, which is within any nations right.

Accordingly, Iraqi_king, Iran did opt to become a signatory of the NPT, thus is required to abide by the NPT and IAEA, unless of course, Iran decides that it is within its best national interests to withdraw from the NPT, which it has not opted to do as of yet.

As to your psychological warfare mention, is this apart of that Iranian psy-ops program?

Tue May 2, 2006 3:19 PM BST

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran threatened on Tuesday to attack Israel in response to any "evil" act by the United States and said it had enriched uranium to a level close to the maximum compatible with civilian use in power stations.

"Enrichment above 5 percent is not on Iran's agenda," Aghazadeh told the students' ISNA news agency.
Iran has previously said it had enriched to more than 4 percent, far below the 80 percent level needed for bomb-making.

"We have announced that wherever America does something evil, the first place that we target will be Israel," ISNA quoted a senior Revolutionary Guards commander, Rear Admiral Mohammad-Ebrahim Dehqani, as saying on Tuesday.
If US Attacks Iran, Iran Attacks Israel

Again, as was posted by Sep, bear in mind what Iran's ambassador to the UN, Javad Zarif said:

Psy-ops, huh?
More like the Iranian Mullah run government, the Iranian President, Rafsanjani, and the Iranian ambassador to the UN are alive and breathing, realtime walking contradictions.

seekerof

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The current crisis is being manufactured by the Iranian leadership for domestic political and economic reasons, and so far, it's a strategy that's working to their benefit. Domestic political opposition is being drowned out by nationalistic fervor, in response to the nuclear standoff, and the price of oil is being driven ever upward by the crisis as well.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
OR, maybe Ahminanejad really believe's that he is to help usher in the muslim messiah (Mahdi, 12th Imam) through an apocalyptic confrontation with Israel and the West. Oh that's right, he said that himself! He even had his full cabinet sign an oath to that effect on his first day in office.

The Ayatollah new exactly who he was PUTTING in office!

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
If Iran were to withdraw from the NPT itll end up like Iraq, being invaded on the basis "it is building WMD's" so really the only reason it did sign the NPT is to ensure that America or Isreal will have to at least get the "OK" from other nations before getting trigger happy.
Secondly why dont we look at the fact that Isreal is using past crimes commited by lunatics such as Hitle to justify its attacks on arabs , on the basis they do not want to face extermination.
Iran is surrounded by India and Pakistan and nearby Isreal whom all are have nukes, with Isreal deciding to avoid the question (why i dont know). India and Pakistan both openly decleared that their onging nuclear programs are primarily weapons based.
It would be foolish of Iran to stand aside while Isreal, India, Pakistan and to its west and east- Afghanistan and Iraq (under occupation by the U.S.A) with the U.S.A also having nukes.
Irans open hostility towards Isreal is the reason why the world is frowning on Iran.
But sadly most people are naive enough to ask themselves "why".

The Mahdi issue is also used (west and isreal dont call him mahdi) by Isreal to justify its existance. Religion being used by politicans is nothing new so please dont label out specific countrys.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
correction
But sadly most people are naive enough to ask themselves "why".
to
Sadly most people dont ask themselves why Iran is hostile to Isreal.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Sadly most people dont ask themselves why Iran is hostile to Isreal.

That would be blazingly apparent or am I missing what is otherwise self-evident?

seekerof

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sep

Yes. The issue isn't inspections now. THe issue, under the NPT, is that the IAEA hasn't given Iran a clean bill of health on nuke weapons. That is what is required.

Iraqi_King
would be foolish of Iran to stand aside while Isreal, India, Pakistan and to its west and east- Afghanistan and Iraq

And yet, it still does.

Correct. That is why they are legally permited to not only have uninspected nuclear power programmes, but also to have nuclear weapons.

himwhohathanear
muslim messiah (Mahdi, 12th Imam)

The Mahdi is only the 12th Imam, Imam Mohammed Mahdi, amoung the Shia. Infact, Mohammed Mahdi is only an Imam amoung the Shia, for that matter. For the Sunnis, the Mahdi is someone that will come at the end of the world, presaging the arrival of Jesus.

Sep

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Sep, in all that self-claimed 'transparency' that you assert Iran is doing, why have they not allowed the IAEA inspectors in to verify that alleged 'transparency'? Why has Iran not let the IAEA inspectors verify all Iranian nuclear related sites, including those that are underground?

Which sites are you referring to? Please state them by name of their locations and I will give you the date the inspectors visited them.

You can profess 'transparency' all day long, but the truth is that Iran is not being "transparent" and is still in violation of the NPT, according to the IAEA. Pretty good coming from a nation that has told the UN that they "do not give a damn," eh?

They did not tell the UN that "they did not give damn", the President of Iran was referring to the threats that there may be an international economic sanction put against Iran. I can understand why he wouldn't give a damn, because at current prices Iran could buy economic partners, and if the oil is embargoed the world is really shooting themselves in the foot.

Umm, no, see above.

Which section of my post are you disputing? There has been around 1500 hours of man-hour inspection of Iran's nuclear program. From my research that makes Iran one of the most inspected countries in the history of the IAEA. Feel free to disapprove me by providing facts.

My might to fix your quote too, I am Sep.

Stop!!

Done

Javad Zarif is a bald face liar, Sep.
Iran has and continues to threaten Israel and the U.S., among others.

IRAN RECRUITS 8 INSURGENCY CELLS FOR ATTACKS

I am sure you have read the link. It specifically says that Iran has formed an alliance to have the capability to RESPOND to any attacks by the US or Israel. Also the link does not provide any names or details, just a "senior source". I wouldn't put too much emphasize on their claims.

Iran threatens U.S. with attack

Nice research there. None of the pages provided in the link show an Iranian threatening a first strike. The majority are simply a retaliation threat and one of them is criticizing the US for its threats against Iran. Another one is assessing the possibility of an American and Israeli operation against Iran and one link is a "Revolutionary guard" of some sort, claiming that Iran is "ready". Would have been interesting if the site wasn't WorldNet daily and didn't quote MEMRI as its source.

Iran Threatens Suicide Bomber Attacks

Threatens retaliatory attacks. Again nothing about a first strike.

Iran threatens Israel with annihilation

This page would have been of interest, but all of the pages referred to the President of Iran. The portfolio of defence strategy of Iran is solely in the jurisdiction of Khamanei, therefore in order for "Iran to threaten Israel", this can only be done by Khamenei.

Iran threatens Israel

See above. Not one of them quotes a person in any high position.

W orld denounces Iranian president's call for Israel to be 'wiped off the map'

See above again. One of the links I found interesting there is Iran's members of parliaments and former president, condemned Ahmadinejad's comments.

Tell you what: if Iran wants to be treated differently, then Iran should stop pursuing nuclear weapons and give up terrorism.

First, there is no evidence whatsoever that Iran is perusing nuclear weapons (First law of propaganda). Second, in the link provided, Iran is merely condemning the threat of using nuclear weapons against it. Iran has every right to do just that, and many American citizens have also criticized the administration for not removing the "nuclear option" from the table.

Umm, it made more news than your willing to admit.
Such a proclamation by Iran against Israel was denounced by over half the world, Sep.

I think you got lost in your own righting there. I was referring to the quote I provided by Iran’s ambassador.
-----------------------------------------

Always a pleasure talking to you. Nice to see a conservative around who is willing to debate their point of view.

[edit on 3-5-2006 by Sep]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Iran naturally would support terrorists. So called terrists and if its hamas your refering to, its an "elected" goverment.
Iran is a proud nation as is isreal and the USA . but like isreal and the USA, it puts its nation first. Any pre- emtive strike is called an act of war by the UN. Even if iran is not letting the IAEA see everything, theres no proof its seeking nukes. Its already got bio/chem weapons.
Irans program is irreversible. there buried 100 m underground no point bombing rather i belive america and iran can make peace. I left Isreal out on purpose.

Hope things get better. Petrol is blowing my budget

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Iran naturally would support terrorists. So called terrists and if its hamas your refering to, its an "elected" goverment.
Iran is a proud nation as is isreal and the USA . but like isreal and the USA, it puts its nation first. Any pre- emtive strike is called an act of war by the UN. Even if iran is not letting the IAEA see everything, theres no proof its seeking nukes. Its already got bio/chem weapons.
Irans program is irreversible. there buried 100 m underground no point bombing rather i belive america and iran can make peace. I left Isreal out on purpose.

Hope things get better. Petrol is blowing my budget

same here.....I have had enough of pointless wars, and why cant we let the situation cool off? we managed to somewhat isolate the spread of communism, and the soviet union was a far bigger threat than iran ever will be.

Iran is only trying to bolster themselves to the status of their neighbors, pakistan and india for example, personally I think they are foolish for every country in the middle east to be acquiring nuclear weapons.

Im against any further wars for one purpose really....they are for bush's economic benefits, not american security.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sep
Which sites are you referring to? Please state them by name of their locations and I will give you the date the inspectors visited them.

Oh, please, Sep.
Names and locations, even for those underground nuclear facilities?
Here's a thought: try GOOGLE? FAS?

1. The Iranian regime is using universities and academic institutions as a cover for research and development of its nuclear weapons program. Given Tehran’s record of lies and deceptions, using academic institutions to develop a nuclear bomb, makes it even more difficult to stop Iran’s secret development of a nuclear weapon.

2. Iran is increasingly bringing its nuclear program under the control of the Revolutionary Guards, a further indication of a nuclear weapons program, as opposed to a civilian one.

3. Iran is moving its nuclear weapons program underground, and to military sites making it even more secretive, and off limits to the IAEA inspectors, while promising transparency in negotiations; there is a gap between Iranian regime’s deeds and words.

There are nuclear sites involved in research and development of Iran’s nuclear weapons program, which remain un-inspected by the IAEA inspectors to date. Among the sites that have not been inspected are:

• The Imam Hossein University of the IRGC in Tehran

• Lavizan II sites in Tehran, exposed since November 2004 • Major portions of Parchin Military Complex near Tehran exposed in March 2005 as being involved in laser enrichment

• Underground secret tunnels in Tehran

• A large number of IRGC commanders as well as Iranian nuclear experts involved in the nuclear weapons program have not been interviewed by the IAEA.
Iran Watch

Btw, how about provide the IAEA names and locations of ALL the Iranian sites that have been inspected, Sep, including the underground facilities....oopps, wait, I can use GOOGLE!

They did not tell the UN that "they did not give damn", the President of Iran was referring to the threats that there may be an international economic sanction put against Iran.

Accordingly, they did tell the UN and the international community that "they did not give a damn."

I can understand why he wouldn't give a damn, because at current prices Iran could buy economic partners, and if the oil is embargoed the world is really shooting themselves in the foot.

You talk a line when you need to, don't ya?
Tell you what, Iran can buy all the economic partners they want, but I know a number of Western and Eastern countries that will not be BOUGHT. Keep talking, you act like Iran is the next Saudi Arabia of oil or something.

Which section of my post are you disputing? There has been around 1500 hours of man-hour inspection of Iran's nuclear program. From my research that makes Iran one of the most inspected countries in the history of the IAEA. Feel free to disapprove me by providing facts.

Link the source where the IAEA has spent 1500 man-hours inspecting Iran's nuclear sites. While your at it, provide ALL the sites and locations that have been inspected by the IAEA and those that have not, k?

Nice research there. None of the pages provided in the link show an Iranian threatening a first strike.

First strike?! What the.....?
Sep, you had better re-read what the Iranian Ambassador to the UN said that you quoted:

See ANY mention of FIRST STRIKE in there, Sep? Spare me, dude. The sources I linked refuted your claims, the Iranian ambassador to the UNs claims, the Iranian president's claims, Rafsanjani's claims, etc!

First, there is no evidence whatsoever that Iran is perusing nuclear weapons

According to who?
The IAEA?
Hell, how do they know when Iran will not let the IAEA check and verify each and ALL sites, including those underground?

I think you got lost in your own righting there. I was referring to the quote I provided by Iran’s ambassador.

The one that I refuted with the mass of links I provided?

Always a pleasure talking to you. Nice to see a conservative around who is willing to debate their point of view.

Likewise, Sep.

seekerof]

[edit on 3-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

So called terrists and if its hamas your refering to, its an "elected" goverment.

IOW, popular terrorists, right. The IRA used the Sinn Fein to get involved in politics, didn't mean that they weren't committing acts of terrorism when they targetted civilians.

Any pre- emtive strike is called an act of war by the UN.

War is not illegal, if that is what you are suggesting.

Even if iran is not letting the IAEA see everything, theres no proof its seeking nukes.

Doesn't matter. If it doesn't let the IAEA see everything, then its in serious breech of its NPT obligations. Even if it lets them see everything, and the IAEA still gives them a bad mark, they are in breech of their obligations.

That might not sound fair, but its precisely what Iran agreed to.

Irans program is irreversible. there buried 100 m underground no point bombing rather i belive america and iran can make peace.

Immpossible. The US will not permit a country that firmly beleives that america is the dupe of satan himself to develop nuclear weapons, period. Maybe on September 10th the US would've, but not after September 11th. Any nation that is openly opposed to the US, funds terror groups, and is trying to get weapons that can destroy cities at a single blast, will be invaded, have its military destroyed, its government leaders arrested and probably executed, and country-side occupied.

If Iran doesn't want to be destroyed, it's simply going to have to give in to the 'big mean evil bully' and work to convince the US that its not a threat. A good step would be getting a 'thumbs up' from the IAEA.

Hope things get better.

Indeed, the whole war can be avoided. And with better relations between the US and Iran, perhaps there will be more iranians moving into the US, and better cooperation between americans and iranians.

Thats a middle east crisis I think we can all deal with.

Petrol is blowing my budget

Gas prices are high, but they're going to get higher, because india and china are rapidly industrializing. Imagine what happens when two billion more people are driving gas-guzzling cars to work each morning?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join