It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much is everyone paying for petrol?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Im just curious if we can get a list of prices from all around the world.
Australia $1.42 per litre (1.07 US)

And apparently these prices are here to stay for at least 3 years. I remember 18 months ago the sweet 80c/L...

Im thinking weve probably got 15 years before we are forced to find another way to get to work.

Imagine 30 years from now... people riding their bicycles to work, or maybe Toyota will make the Prius cheaper.. at this stage it costs as much as a Subuaru WRX and only starts to save you money after 20 years

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Say Thanks to the Immigrant's Protest!

posted by fennek77: “Im just curious if we can get a list of prices from all around the world. Australia $1.42 per liter ($1.07 US) And apparently these prices are here to stay for at least 3 years. I remember 18 months ago the sweet 80 c/L (3.78 l. = 1 US Gallon. A$1.07 X 3.78 = A$4.05 per gallon = .762 exchange rate making $3.07 US at Aus prices.)

Im thinking we’ve probably got 15 years before we are forced to find another way to get to work. Imagine 30 years from now . . people riding their bicycles to work, or maybe Toyota will make the Prius cheaper . . at this stage it costs as much as a Subuaru WRX and only starts to save you money after 20 years [Edited by Don W]

I’m driving an early 2004 Toyota Matrix bought new and now with 43,000 miles showing. I have the habit of using the speed control and setting it about 3-4 mph above the posted speed limit. Still, I’m passed by 60-70% of the cars and trucks on the interstates.

I make a regular trip from Jacksonville FL to Milledgeville GA every 6 weeks, about 300 miles and I stay off the interstates, preferring the nearly truck-free “back roads.” I go through Waycross GA and other small towns, which adds about ½ hours to my trip except that I’m also on the hypotenuse of the interstate triangle so I travel about 30-40 miles less, each way. By the by, Milledgeville was the capital of GA when the Civil War began. Gen. Sherman moved the capital to Atlanta, the nascent rail center for the southeast. .

My Toyota gets 31 mpg.

[edit on 5/2/2006 by donwhite]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
money.cnn.com...

money.cnn.com...

www.eia.doe.gov...

Holland still has the highest gas prices by far. My poor family and friends up there...

[edit on 2-5-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This is a good resource for gas prices in the US; USA National Gas Temperature Map. Seems to be pretty accurate in my area.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Hey it's cheaper in so called "republican" states than in "democratic" states...

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

posted by yadboy: “This is a good resource for gas prices in the US. National Gas Temperature Map. Seems to be pretty accurate in my area.

I believe the higher gasoline prices in Europe - at least in the UK - is due to the European custom dating back to the 1920s to use a gasoline tax as a general revenue measure. In the US, OTOH, our gasoline tax has almost always been dedicated to the construction and maintenance of highways. Hence the lower prices in the US of A?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
in my opinion not enough here in the usa. but read my post in why we need euorpean diesels here in the usa. i would love to buy one, hell i'd even buy one of the mercedes at the milage they get, and have it shipped over here. at 50-60 mpg i could go nearly 3-4 weeks between fillups.

then even 4 buck a gallon wouldn't bother me at all. hell it would have to get to 6 or 7 before i would notice the difference

when i lived 5 miles from work i could go 2 weeks between fillups in my honda prelude. if that car would have gotten 50-60 i definetly could have gone more than a month between tanks

[edit on 2-5-2006 by bigx01]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I just paid €1.01 per litre for premium diesel this morning.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Paid $1.114/litre yesterday in BC, Canada. Went down 5 cents since last week.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   

posted by fennek77: “Im just curious if we can get a list of prices from all around the world. Australia $1.42 per liter . . apparently these prices are here to stay for at least 3 years. 18 months ago the sweet price of 80 c/L. (3.78 l. = 1 US Gallon. ($3.07 per gallon US at Aus prices.) Im thinking we’ve got probably 15 years before we are forced to find another way to get to work. Imagine people riding bicycles to work, or maybe Toyota will make the Prius cheaper . . at this stage it costs as much as a Subuaru WRX and only starts to save you money after 20 years. [Edited by Don W]

During War 2, to motorize a bicycle, a 2.5 hp gas engine and the belts, controls and rims was sold by a company named Whizzer. Installed yourself, it was especially popular with people who lived in the city and did not have far to drive to work. It was priced a $99 which was about 2 week’s pay. It was advertised to give 150 mpg. Gas was rationed because of the shortage of tires. As “Speed Kills” people, so also it kills tires.

Everyone got a “A” sticker to affix to your windshield, good for 3 gallons per month. Doctors who made house calls and others similarly situated, got a “B” sticker which was individually rated for gallons and defense workers got a “C” sticker, also individually rated and requiring proof of car pooling and 2 or 3 fellow workers riding with the car owner. Employers organized car pools. Or you could do it on your own, but you had to have certified letters to show the Ration Board.

Every voting precinct had its own Ration Board. It was made up of 3 people, 2 people of good repute who resided in the precinct and the third a person schooled in the Regulations sent out from some central dispatch office. The Boards met once a week, usually on Saturday afternoon in a public place. All Board business was transacted in the open. If you needed a tire for example, you had to appear and explain why. If you could convince the Board - not easy to do - they would give you a certificate for a new tire. And etc.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
someone could convert it for me I payed 93.5 pence a litre or £0.935

thats in the NOrth East of Scotland in aberdeen.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   

posted by bigx01: “IMO not enough here in the USA. Read my post why we need Europan diesels in the USA. I would buy one, I’d even buy one of the Mercedes at the milage they get and have it shipped over here. At 50-60 mpg I could go nearly 3-4 weeks between fillups. Then even 4 bucks a gallon wouldn't bother me. Fuel would have to get to $6 or $7 before I would notice [Edited by Don W]

B1, I keep hearing this distinction of “European” diesels. As opposed to American diesels? So if a diesel is a compression ignition engine, how’s one different from another? It seems to my memory that normally aspirated diesels run 22 or 24 to 1 whereas turbo charged diesels run 16 or 18 to 1? As to fuel, I have also heard of 2 grades of diesel sold in the US. I am of the opinion the lower cost version is rated at 60 octane? And maybe a higher rating of 70 octane? A long time ago diesel fuel was always cheaper than gasoline. It was explained that the road taxes did not apply to diesel fuel. Nowadays diesel is usual a nickel or a dime hither that gasoline. Perhaps the governments have added the road tax to diesel? Or is it another way for ExxonMobil to max out its profits? Strike while the “iron is hot” and they have their own “boys” in control. I’m thinking of VP Cheney of $70 million Halliburton fame and his toy doll, Geo W.

The difference when I lived 5 miles from work I could go 2 weeks between fillups in my Honda Prelude. If that car would have gotten 50-60 I definitely could have gone more than a month between tanks . . “

We have to take your word for that, B1. I know a volunteer who makes home visits. Until this present round of gas price increases she paid her own gas bill as part of her volunteer service to the community. But she drives 200 miles a day and you can see she can no longer be expected pay her own gas bill. She drives a Honda Accord but I have no idea which engine it has.

Back in the 1980s, America was all involved in raising its CAFÉ but we are out of the habit now. Can you imagine how much we “need” a Porsche SUV capable of 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds? Speed electronically limited to 155 mph? That by the way is an import standard. 155 mph max.
You have to buy domestic if you want to go faster. Wow! Talk about leadership out of the Oval Office. Warning! Hurricane season begins June 1. New Orleans is still a mess in the poor black 9th Ward. Hmm?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

posted by minority2000uk: “Someone could convert it for me I payed 93.5 pence a liter or £0.935 that’s in the North East of Scotland in Aberdeen.

The exchange rate is from Google. 3.78 liters equals 1 US gallon. Which makes your gasoline equal to $6.48 a gallon here, about double the going price. I say again, is your gasoline taxed as part of the general revenue scheme? Or do you pay road tax only, as in the US of A?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
www.petrolprices.com

U.K. residents I recommend you register on this website.
You will be informed by email of regular prices in your area which is postcode based. Registration is free and there is nothing to pay-ever!

My district: Cheapest fuels are Asda (Wal-Mart) for the benefit of U.S. readers.

Petrol: 92.9p per litre
Diesel: 95.9p per litre

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
$2.96 per gallon for 87 octane here in N/W Arizona.
That's at the discount stations, majors are running $2.97 to $3.09 depending on where in town you buy.

Surprisingly, the majors on the main highway, utilized by tourists and long distance travelers are cheaper than the majors in town.
Kinda backwards from what it used to be.

Supermarkets are selling gas with a five cents, 10 cents and 15 cents discount per gallon if you spend $30., $60. or $90. on groceries.
Higher the grocery bill, cheaper the gas.

A friend in Hawaii is paying $3.60 per gallon for 87 octane.

There's a lot of confusion about octane requirements as well as old wives tales that higher octanes deliver better mileage.
Not true on the mileage improvement bit.
Higher octane fuels are used to combat detonation - known by most of us as ping or knock.

Consult your owners manual for octane required and if you wish, see if a lower octane works without incurring detonation in your car.

With the computer controlled systems in most of today's car, you can get away with a one step lower octane rating most times.

Key points, monitor the engine for detonation and don't lug the engine.

Your mileage can improve with the installation of a vacuum gauge.
Keep it above 12-14" of vacuum for best mileage.

A small example, on a long cross country trip across the desert which involved climbing several long and not-too-steep grades, the vacuum gauge indicated 12" or so running in 5th gear with a stick shift.
Shifting down to 4th, maintaining the same speed had the vacuum gauge indicating 16" vacuum and mileage improved 1 mpg.
All done at 70 mph +.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

posted by Desert Dawg: “$2.96 per gallon for 87 octane here in N/W Arizona . . the majors on the main highway, utilized by tourists and long distance travelers are cheaper than the majors in town. Kinda backwards from what it used to be. There's a lot of confusion about octane as well as old wives tales that higher octanes deliver better mileage. Not true on the mileage improvement bit.

Higher octane fuels are used to combat detonation - known by most of us as ping or knock. Consult your owners manual for octane required and if you wish, see if a lower octane works without incurring detonation in your car. With the computer controlled systems in most of today's car, you can get away with a one step lower octane rating most times. Key points, monitor the engine for detonation and don't lug the engine. [Edited by Don W]

Uh, D/D, by the time “ping” or “knock” can be heard over the noise of a moving vehicle, you are already damaging the bearings, pistons and valves of your engine. The reason most of us do not become aware is we trade our cars often enough to miss the “last gasps” of an abused engine.

Your mileage can improve with the installation of a vacuum gauge. Keep it above 12-14" of vacuum for best mileage. An example, on a long cross country trip across the desert which involved climbing several long and not-too-steep grades, the vacuum gauge indicated 12" or so running in 5th gear with a stick shift. Shifting down to 4th, maintaining the same car speed brought the vacuum gauge up to indicating 16" vacuum and mileage improved 1 mpg. All done at 70 mph +. [Edited by Don W]

Yes. It is unexpected that higher rpms can actually give better mileage than lower rpms. But under the right (or is it the wrong) conditions, that is the case. The late 1960s Buicks offered a yellow light in the speedo housing that was turned on and off by a vacuum gauge. It did not sell well. But then, gas was maybe 40-50 cents.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Nothing.
I sold my vehicles a year ago and walk everywhere i need to go. I actually do have a motorcycle, but i only use it for occasional long trips, i get about 50-60mpg when i do ride. Last time i had to buy gas was back in Jan sometime, but i might do a trip this summer, which means buying from the evil empire unless i can get ethanol. Unfortunately though, i still must buy foods and products which still require pretoleum fueled transport. I don't buy anything unless it's necessary, and avoid consumerism as much as possible. I only wish i could further reduce my impact, but as long as i'm still a cog in the machine there's not much else i can do. I just hope i can find a place on this planet where i can live off the land in freedom after the oil wars.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In Spain unleaded is right now 1,117 Euro a liter = 4,2283 Euro = US$ 5,3373 a gallon. It used to be 0,78 a liter for unleaded about a year ago.

You think you guys in the U.S. are doing bad? Try the Netherlands with some 1,54 Euro a liter equals US$ 7,3644 a gallon.

Thanks mr Bush, mr Rumsfeld and mr Cheney.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Venezuela $ 0,12 a gallon. Whoohooo. I bet everyone is driving SUV´s and 4x4´s over there, putting the pedal to the metal......

[edit on 2-5-2006 by HardToGet]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
[

B1, I keep hearing this distinction of “European” diesels. As opposed to American diesels?

aspirated diesels run 22 or 24 to 1 whereas turbo charged diesels run 16 or 18 to 1?

As to fuel, I have also heard of 2 grades of diesel sold in the US. I am of the opinion the lower cost version is rated at 60 octane? And maybe a higher rating of 70 octane?

A long time ago diesel fuel was always cheaper than gasoline. It was explained that the road taxes did not apply to diesel fuel. Nowadays diesel is usual a nickel or a dime hither that gasoline.

We have to take your word for that, B1. I know a volunteer who makes home visits. Until this present round of gas price increases she paid her own gas bill as part of her volunteer service to the community. But she drives 200 miles a day and you can see she can no longer be expected pay her own gas bill. She drives a Honda Accord but I have no idea which engine it has.

You have to buy domestic if you want to go faster.

lets just examine what you say.

B1, I keep hearing this distinction of “European” diesels. As opposed to American diesels?

take a look at mercedes. Source: Mercedes UK the only draw back to getting 50mpg on the higway " Unfortunately, due to environmental regulations, the diesel E220 is not available in all 50 states. "

or lets say Source: VW UK now you have select the engine you want but it's rated 61 on the highway.

now none of these in their current configurations are available in the usa. b/c of environmental regulations. the ones that are are dereted down to meet the regulations. in reality what that means is that you will be putting more in the air for the same milage driven. lets change the regulations and allow these cars to be brought in.

aspirated diesels run 22 or 24 to 1 whereas turbo charged diesels run 16 or 18 to 1?

you may have your numbers reversed. aspirated is 18 -1 and turbo or supercharged would be 22-1

As to fuel, I have also heard of 2 grades of diesel sold in the US. I am of the opinion the lower cost version is rated at 60 octane? And maybe a higher rating of 70 octane?

diesel is not rated in octane. octane is for gasoline. what you ment to say was cetane. yes our diesel is lower than europe, but not enough to make a large difference. and yes you pay more for higher energy content but then you would also get more work out of it.

A long time ago diesel fuel was always cheaper than gasoline. It was explained that the road taxes did not apply to diesel fuel. Nowadays diesel is usual a nickel or a dime higher that gasoline.

as long as you don't drive on the road you don't have to pay road tax on any fuel. all you have to do is send in a refund request and you will get the tax back.

the one interesting myth is that everyone claims it takes less energy to distill diesel.
it actually takes more. if gasoline boils at 300f and diesel boils at 400f which takes more energy to boil? thats right diesel takes more energy to distill than gasoline higher cost.

in europe they run thier cat crackers and hydrocrackers to crack for diesel. here in the usa we crack for gasoline, diesel and jet fuel is whats left over. this is a supply and demand situation. there's a greater demand for diesel but we aren't geared for diesel production again higher cost.

i currently drive a honda accord ex. manual trans. 2.0 litere engine sedan. the greatest i have gotten in it is 31mpg bellingham to centralia and back. my prelude didn't have a fuel/trip computer in it but i have gone 450 miles on a 15 gallon tank.

I want one of those cars that can't be sold in the usa. screw the morons in california and those environmental wackos. those cars sold in europe put out less emmisions for the same distance driven than the derateds one sold here.

Can you imagine how much we “need” a Porsche SUV capable of 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds? Speed electronically limited to 155 mph? That by the way is an import standard. 155 mph max. You have to buy domestic if you want to go faster.

no you don't. the keyword is "governer" once you buy a car if you want to take the governer off or change the performance rom that's up to you.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by bigx01]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

posted by HardToGet: “In Spain unleaded is right now 1,117 Euro a liter = US$ 5,3373 a gallon. It used to be 0,78 a liter for unleaded about a year ago. You think you guys in the U.S. are doing bad? Try the Netherlands with some 1,54 Euro a liter equals US$ 7,3644 a gallon. Thanks Mr Bush, Mr Rumsfeld - the Oberfuhrer - and Mr Cheney. Thank you very much. EDIT: Venezuela $ 0,12 a gallon. Whoohooo. I bet everyone is driving SUV́s and 4x4́s over there, putting the pedal to the metal [Edited by Don W]

Q. Do you think the American Gang of Four - Geo W, VP Cheney, the Oberfuhrer and Condi Rice - have put out a CIA “contract” on Pres Hugo Chavez as Pat Robertson called for earlier?

Two Heroes for the Common Man: Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro! Vive la Revolucion!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join