It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Bush claims authority to disobey over 750 laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Well some have compared him to a dictator, and he did say being a dictator would be easier, but this is a clear indication Bush sees himself as being above the law. So he has signed giving himself the authority to be above the laws that has been enacted since he took office, does that mean he intends to break them? Why else would a president sign a statement making himself exempt from having to abide the very laws enacted since he became president?

www.democracynow.org.../05/01/1336245

Report: Bush Claims Authority To Disobey Over 750 Laws
A major investigation by the Boston Globe has revealed President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office. In each case the president has issued a so-called "signing statement" that asserts that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution. According to the Globe, Bush has issued a signing statement to more than one of every 10 bills he has signed. Bush has said he can ignore Congress' ban on torture as well as Congressional oversight of the Patriot Act. Bush has also said he can ignore laws forbidding US troops from engaging in combat in Colombia and any attempt by Congress to oversee what happens in military prisons such as Abu Ghraib. NYU law professor David Golove has warned that Bush's actions threaten to overturn the existing structures of constitutional law. Golove said that having a president who ignores the court, backed by a Congress that is unwilling to challenge him can make the Constitution simply ''disappear."

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Another peice of the puzzle, soon the picture will be clear enough for every one to see. Too bad that couldn't be easier, the number of people who think it could "never happen", is a sad one.

Just the concept of being open minded often becomes the issue. There will always be those who look behind the curtain, and those who don't. Problem is, not enough people are looking...just blind following.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Thanks Advisor, here is a report from truthout with more info on some of the laws he does not have to obey.
www.truthout.org...

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Source
He has appended such statements to more than one of every 10 bills he has signed.... Many of the laws Bush said he can bypass - including the torture ban - involve the military.

Creepy stuff considering the man probably never won an election in the first place.

Edit:
Thought I would throw this in on an edit...
Cheney exempts his own office from reporting on classified material
Bush Team Imposes Thick Veil of Secrecy

[edit on 2-5-2006 by twitchy]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yeah, I've heard about these signing statements before.

Just another example that Lord Bush is above the law...no, he IS the law! I knew he was doing this, but damn, over 750 laws! It's official, we are in a dictatorship.

I'm just dying to see what the Bush lackeys will come up with when they defend him on this one. You just know it's gonna be creative.

Great find, goose!

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
It seems that the job as the sitting president of the US has gone to Bush's head, that he's above reproach when it comes to anything that the "House" and "Congress" pushes through for Bush to sign. The way it sounds and is starting to look with Bush doing as he pleases, he's more of a dictator then some of the other countries have as leaders ! I have a sick feeling that Bush isn't going to give-up the White House willingly in 2008, Bush may decide to change the laws over our Elections too,....... Not A Good Thing

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
yes bush is very much a punk. if he believes he is above the rest of the country and can do as he sees fit maybe its like, Operation CheeseHim go time. You know the ol' JK pop n stop if you know what i mean.
like really you can just see this guy no longer has his ties to the people, you all hate him and that makes a sully nation.
When he looks bad, you look bad. When he looks good, you look bad.
Its time to stand up for yourselves America. Run Bush outa town with his commy dad aswell.
It saddens me to see a powerful nation crumble at the knees because the head/leader has become a media fearing desperado.
He has lost.
but if you wanna be led by a loser that your decision.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
ummm....let's see....they're are public servants, in reality, hired by we the people...we're their bosses....am I right?? so if they are above 750 or so laws, then well, we should be above 10,000 of those laws??lol!!!
actually, that would be about right probably, if one wanted to stop paying these clowns for their poor performance in office and ignore the income tax laws....

ya know, I am sure that congress didn't pass a law against combat with columbia with the intention of preventing us common citizens from starting a war..who does bush think this law was directed at. if not him and the pentagon??

top topics

join