It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Tracking System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well, Finland is about to pass a law that allows tracking of anyone via their Cell phone in an "emergency" situation. I call this a prelude to the end of personal privacy.

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20031017/tc_nm/finland_cellphones_dc_1

According to the draft, individuals aged 15 or older could only be tracked after giving their consent, but for children under 15 such consent could also be given by their parents or guardians.

In emergency situations people can still be tracked without their consent regardless of their age.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Buy your 15 year son a cell phone or get a kid to buy one and give you the phone. Then make sure the parents don't give permission (might be hard; some sneaky form might make it default). Then you can the phone without being tracked.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
By the police and by the service provider.. as the phones dont work if the GSM grid doesnt know where them phone is..

And police can have already the records.. if there has been a crime.. they can so check who was there.. and in what time..

As phones are located continioously if they are turned on.. (have power..)

P.S.

I live in Finland.. and i know about what am i talking about..

This is no biggie here..

But there has been some suggestions that anybody could get your location at any given time..

And about this we dont like about..

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The whole tracing doesn't bother that much, assuming that it's kept in the right hands, ie. the Finnish goverment/police.

The Finnish government is quite benevolent, IMHO

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Ummm...

What paradigm are you living with, Paradigm?...

Throughout all of human history, there has never been a truly benevolent government. Check some history books out of your local library & see for yourself.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I like how they dumb it down on MetroPCS as "Location Sharing" Basically its GPS.. at least for now its a service that you can turn on or off.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paradigm
The whole tracing doesn't bother that much, assuming that it's kept in the right hands, ie. the Finnish goverment/police.

Well you are quite right..

Finnish police and gov. are 'benevolent'..

Especially the police..

Poliisi on yst�v�mme..

(Police is our friend.. or something like that..)

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 07:19 AM
link   
My new Nokia is GPS equiped but I'm allowed to change it to allow network ID or I can set it to allow 9-11 location sharing only.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 07:45 AM
link   
...a few things happened previously which would make it look more sinister.
Like outlawing celphone scanners before these laws were passed,I can see the privacy side of this to a point,but the only people who can own them now are cops.
Like the fact that the capability to track celphones was already there,they have been using it for some time,they just had to pass a law to protect them from getting burned about privacy issues.
Like the fact that there is no such thing as a hard line telephone anymore,all of the phone traffic is routed through celphone masts now,so everybody can be monitored already by someone with a celphone scanning device (nice).
And then you have the PATRIOT act and VICTORY act to make anything they would want to do with the technology legal in a "national security " kinda way.
I don't own a celphone and never have.
I used one for awhile that belonged to my ex-wife,I was in the middle of the Kettle Morraine national forest riding my mountain bike,and it rang,and after that I realised what it was,an "electronic leash" that I really didn't need.
They are good for only one thing,to call someone you know who is at work and say "guess where I am,I'm on a mountaintop in peru,you should take more time off from work and have more fun you schmuck" click.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM

Originally posted by Paradigm

Well you are quite right..

Finnish police and gov. are 'benevolent'..

Especially the police..

Poliisi on yst�v�mme..

(Police is our friend.. or something like that..)

Hehe, quite true

Just the idea of the Finnish goverment or the police/military being a part of some NWO-thing and oppressing people seems extremely funny

Mutta, ent� jos Lipponen kuuluukin Illuminatiin?

top topics

join