It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Disclosure Project/Steven Greer a hoax?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I don't think Greer is fake. There is a certain amount of narcissism and self-promotion there, perhaps; but it is minor.

The UFO watchdog site also criticises him for running 5 day workshops for $600, but for that length of time, $600 seems fairly reasonable to me. Unless you're cooking yourself, where I am currently living, three meals a day will set you back $45-$60, which means the other $40 is accomodation. If he wants to give people the ability to have showers, he has to pay for hot water, and clean wherever they are sleeping, etc. Most places you stay at like that now, would probably also have Internet access as well, which is often not cheap.

Greer would thus be making perhaps $100 profit from that per person, which is hardly a fortune.
edit on 12-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

From CSETI ambassador training:

Tuition Fees (for US Trainings): $2500, including materials and membership.

Lodging is paid by the participant separately for all trainings in the US. It is not included in the tuition cost, except for the England (UK) training.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Fact no1. Greer campaigns (or campaigned) for disclosure

Fact no2. Greer claims he can teach you to contact UFOs and charges money for this teaching.

Question- So why doesn't he teach people this for free (youtube vids, mass televised conference etc) and Greer and everyone else could call down the UFOs to some populated area? = disclosure problem solved

Answer- Either he can't contact UFOs or he can but he chooses not to, either way makes him a fraud.

edit on 13-2-2012 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
My take on Dr Greer is - at first I listened and thought his title of doctor seemed to lend credit to a person who has studied and applied themself to a profession - not everyone makes it to the title at the end of their training and study.

However - as I watch him speak - over the years and read articles I see a very egotistical person - hyper inflated ego and overly sure of himself. As I learn more about Psychopathy, Sociopathy and Narcissism I learn that these personality types are wont to be name droppers and big note themselves.

Dr Greer is definitely a name dropper and appears over confident. I persevere with my research and I am in no way professing to diagnose people - just learning to protect myself. Then I see an article that states Dr Greer is indeed a false information agent and will be one of a group of people who will - suddenly - declare to the populous that they were wrong - and that the Intergalactic Visitors are out to destroy us - we thought they were friendly - but they are not!!!

So - time will tell - after Dr Greer has taken thousands upon thousands of dollars form people and suckered them in - he will do a complete turn around. Let's see whether time will tell on Dr Greer. I do not understand why a medical doctor would complete umpteen years of training and study - with the intention of helping people maintain and regain their health - to suddenly traipse through the world of Intergalactic Craft and Visitors. Just seems odd to me.

I call a fraud - because of psychiatric descriptors and throwing away a medical career - and someone who seems more interested in making money from people who are sincerely wanting to learn about a shrouded area of our world/life. Let's see whether his Intergalactic Visitors turn into invaders....

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimoUno
reply to post by petrus4

From CSETI ambassador training:

Tuition Fees (for US Trainings): $2500, including materials and membership.

Lodging is paid by the participant separately for all trainings in the US. It is not included in the tuition cost, except for the England (UK) training.

Ouch. I definitely stand corrected. Might be worth finding out where all that is going. I'd also want to know what other people have got out of it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
My take on Dr Greer is - at first I listened and thought his title of doctor seemed to lend credit to a person who has studied and applied themself to a profession - not everyone makes it to the title at the end of their training and study.

However - as I watch him speak - over the years and read articles I see a very egotistical person - hyper inflated ego and overly sure of himself. As I learn more about Psychopathy, Sociopathy and Narcissism I learn that these personality types are wont to be name droppers and big note themselves.

I don't consider Greer a psychopath, in any sense of the word. I also don't think his narcissism (if it can even be called that) is severe, but there are some characteristics. The only two I've really seen are a tendency to talk over people at times, and a fairly consistent tendency to drop important names/titles when talking to people. I don't consider those two on their own, to even constitute common alpha male syndrome, let alone full blown narcissism.

In his case, and to his degree, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. A certain degree of narcissism is more or less a prerequisite for public roles; otherwise stage fright can be crippling. It needs to be monitored, of course, but it can be a strength, as much as a weakness. Greer also genuinely is intelligent; and awareness of our strengths isn't a crime.

I've noticed the name dropping. It is a little annoying, but I think he probably does it, primarily in order to try and ward off skeptics. It needs to be remembered that the appeal to authority is the favourite logical fallacy of most skeptics I've seen; with a lot of them, their acceptance or rejection of what is being said, will depend entirely on the speaker's credentials. So Greer probably emphasises his connections a bit for their sake.

So - time will tell - after Dr Greer has taken thousands upon thousands of dollars form people and suckered them in - he will do a complete turn around. Let's see whether time will tell on Dr Greer. I do not understand why a medical doctor would complete umpteen years of training and study

I'm not going to necessarily argue with you on the economic angle. It's true that generally the single most reliable indicator of fraud, is the amount a person charges for whatever they do. If Greer has money issues, then yes, he needs to work on them.

My impression of Greer up to this point, has truthfully been of a slightly arrogant, but still seemingly incredibly positive individual who feels strongly convicted about informing the public, concerning UFOs. With that said, I've had several experiences recently, in which I've mentally put someone on a pedestal to an excessive degree, only to find out that they were in fact much more seriously flawed human beings than I had previously thought.

So I definitely want to keep an open mind about the possibility of Greer having less than altruistic intentions; however, at the same time, I'm not prepared to consider the Disclosure Project a complete hoax, regardless of Greer himself. The simple reason why, is because I've seen some of the same military people giving interviews in other places.

Yes, there are people making money on the UFO talk circuit, for sure. Does that mean, however, that everything about UFOs is fraudulent? I doubt it. Maybe the majority of it is rubbish, even; but I don't believe it all is.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Low Orbit

I know Disclosure Project is Real..Have you watched all the interviews with the Military Guys..why in the world would they lie..I was attacked and taken by Aliens en-route to my duty station in Piegan, Montana to work for US Customs and Border Patrol..I filed a report with MUFON and The Disclosure Project..No-one else would believe me...I really dont care who believes me or not anymore..I know that Aliens exist and there are atleast 7 species on the Earth at this time..These beings have infiltraited the Human Race..just take a look around at other humans around you..pay attention to EYES..if these beings are in youre area..you will notice a EYE COLOR CHANGE..usually they will turn Black and then back to normal..or one eye will change and the other will stay the same..Also check out SETI Discovery of Fleet of UFO's heading towards the Earth..the Government Temp-took their funding and US Navy took over their equipment..so something major is going down..Check out all the FEMA Camps being created in the US..and also read about RFID..it is hidden in the New Health Care Bill..Do you want to be Tagged and Chipped..PS and dont take the Flu shot..something is wrong with it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Whatever anyone thinks about Stephen Greer, maybe the Disclosure Project should be judged on its contents rather than one of its authors.

The DP UFO Briefing document contains a huge amount of very interesting information (and government documentation) concerning the UFO subject - it also lists transcripted interviews with FAA officials, Military officers, professional pilots, USAF Radar operatives etc.. and catalogues sworn testimony from individuals involved in such cases as the Tehran incident, the JAL Flight 1628 Alaska case, the Washington fly-overs, the Varginha incident, the Bethune incident and others.

The DP UFO Briefing document

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think Greer started out with good intentions, but he simply let it all go to his head, and before you know it, he's holding crystals, chanting kumbaya and trying to summon UFOs....

It's sad really, as there is a lot of great testimony in the Disclosure Project, but it is SO tainted by Greer's later ramblings...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Another possibility besides,fraud,hoax,etc is: that They got to him because he had to many high ranking credible sources behind him.

Whats a better way to make it go away then to threaten him with his life if he doesn't sabotage the project himself to make it loose its credibility and momentum. So they offered him to either make yourself look corrupted and loony or you and the fam check out permanently.

Well one thing is for sure he does look corrupted and loony.

Not sure how much money he is bringing in with this adventure as oppose to what he was bringing in as a Doctor. However, that might be able to tell us why the sudden change to loony and willingness to make him self look like its all about the money?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I think Greer started out with good intentions, but he simply let it all go to his head, and before you know it, he's holding crystals, chanting kumbaya and trying to summon UFOs....

That tends to be the way of it, yes. There is nothing more dangerous than having a group of people around you, who unanimously and exclusively think that you're awesome. I've experienced it myself, once or twice, as well as the opposite; and believe me when I say that a person who openly hates you, is in reality a far better friend to you, than someone who worships the ground you walk on.

The reason why, is because the narcissism that you can develop as a result of having fans, can permanently destroy you psychologically; whereas having someone being critical of you causes you to ensure that you are always objective about yourself.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I think Greer is probably okay. The fact that he takes quite a bit of money might just be a part of what many a Doctor's driving force is anyway. Money. He's been living high off the hog and so probably charges a bit for what he does now. The only difference being is that money-making in the UFO arenae isn't as acceptable as it is in the medical industries.

We're in a very sad world where the people who get paid the most are the ones we need the most. Doctors. Hopefully, if "they" do come down, they will enlighten us rather than add fuel to our greed.

One thing that will truly end life as we know it is disclosure. I pray it will never come, UFOlogy forever relegated to the fringes of society.

Something tells me that - with all the cloak an dagger secrecy, the mysterious movements in the night and the horrific tales of abduction and madness - enlightenment may not be what we need at all. If we're to have any kind of chance of retaining and maturing our fragile egos.
edit on 17/2/2012 by objectman because: Clarity

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by objectman
I think Greer is probably okay. The fact that he takes quite a bit of money might just be a part of what many a Doctor's driving force is anyway. Money. He's been living high off the hog and so probably charges a bit for what he does now. The only difference being is that money-making in the UFO arenae isn't as acceptable as it is in the medical industries.

Agreed. As I said earlier, Greer is basically harmless. He would possibly consider that an insult, because he perhaps wants to be slightly more of a gadfly to the establishment than he really is, but it isn't intended as one. If he wants to run high priced house parties at his place, that's his business. I just spent $2,300 for a two week permaculture course, last September. I virtually didn't learn anything at all, as far as growing plants is concerned, but I did meet a group of probably the single most positive people I've ever encountered in my life; so I consider it money well spent.

Nimbin has been a blast for me, even if it's been one that has cost $8K and counting; more money that I'd ever seen before this point in my life, and possibly more than I'll ever see again, for all I know. Money for me moves like water; as long as I've got enough of it to eat and keep a roof over my head for the next 24 hours, I actually prefer not to have it. If you hoard it, it causes more trouble than it is worth.

Greer's love-ins are probably the same. He might claim that it's a seminar to teach people something, in order to justify the price; but in the end, it's probably just a scenario where you get to sit out under the stars at his place for a few nights, and have conversations with an awesome group of people about UFOs. As mentioned, I have a sufficiently small degree of attachment to money, that my only real feeling on the subject is that it's a shame that his asking price is so far north of what I've currently got, because if I could afford it, I'd love to go. I wouldn't begrudge giving it to him though, at all.

I don't hate him as a fraud. Even if hypothetically he was one, hating him for it isn't going to serve any useful purpose. Dr Greer is one case where I think I'd prefer to hold onto the fantasy; that he's an almost paranormally positive, and intelligent man, who has a burning conviction to spread the word about UFOs. I thought that is what the guy who leads the Permaculture Research Institute was, until some other people told me otherwise; and honestly, I wish they hadn't. There are times when the truth really is more damaging than a lie.
edit on 17-2-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Dr Greer IMHO is up front and wanting to get the word out about ETs. What is really upsetting is the idea that there is a strong chance that people are being "eliminated" for trying to help design a way to provide a better type of energy. If this is so, then we really need to somehow stop this type of madness

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join