It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you feel that your rights and freedom has been taken during the War on Terror tell us your story

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
...........empowered by the jerk in the White house. That's right, with the Patriot Act and the war on terror, and with the boogeyman around the corner, law enforcement has built a paranoid unit, and vigilantism far exceediing anything else before/
Who's the jerk

Originally posted by eaglewingz
Ummm, the police in my area have acted like this for a couple of decades now. I had overly aggressive treatment from an officer in 1998, well before President Bush was elected. So I guess I should blame Bill Clinton?

Law enforcement gets such a bad rap. From what some of you say you would think they are in cahoots with upper level governtment(in your theories). And to that I say no, at least on the local level. Where do you get this vigilantism from? It has happened before but you can be rest assured that those guys lose their jobs and never work for another agency. The problems police have are blown way out of proportion, such as the common belief that most cops are corrupt which is simply not the case. They do extensive(and I mean extremely extensive) background checks on officers these days, even to the point of asking family and friends about your past, giving you a psych evaluation, drug tests, and a polygraph(which are 99% accurate these days with computers and all). I just hate to see

I dont see how you can blame the highest official in our land for the actions of local officers. Alot of people dont realize that Law enforcement is the most dangerous job to have in the US, even more dangerous than prison guards and taxi drivers. Its stressful, Police Officers suicide rate is 30% higher than the general public. Alcohol and Drug abuse rates with Police officers is higher(no pun intended) due to the stress of the job. Depression rates are higher than average with police officers. 70% of Police doctor visits are stress related. Police officers are more likely to encounter violence in the workplace than under any other occupation. I think everyone should get my point here. All that # you see on TV is glorified crap(except The Shield, pretty realistic in its take on officer corruption as well as the stress related problems that affect police, still a bit glorified though).

There are some bad seeds out there in the Law Enforcement field but dont confuse that to mean even MOST(let alone all) are bad because it simply isnt the case. While there are no numbers on police corruption because theres always gonna be one bad apple that will slip through the screening process no matter how rigorous it is.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I am not trying to slam the police, per se. I was making a point that the Bush administration with all its terror, vigilantiism, etc, is making law enforcement paranoid.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I like it when the police go after and catch bank robbers, thieves, and other criminals commiting crimes on the public at large. I feel a bit harassed when they set up road blocks and stop and question you like you are the criminal just because they thought they noticed something out of the ordinary so they say. Then other people support road blocks saying they found some people guilty of a certain crime. I believe if you screen enough people in society, you will find a few people guilty of a crime. It just doesn't seem to justify putting everyone else through the ordeal in my opinion. If the roadblocks are somehow shown to save me money, I might be more agreeable to them. Perhaps if all the people driving around without insurance were fined and then refunds were distributed among all of the paying insured drivers, I wouldn't mind as much.

Nowadays some cities are installing cameras at traffic lights and all over downtown areas all in the name of safety. I don't really feel safer just because I know someone is watching.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join