It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you feel that your rights and freedom has been taken during the War on Terror tell us your story

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I like to know what freedoms and rights have been taken in the United States. Tell me your personal encounter as to what was takened.
Did the U.S. govt. threaten your family, kidnapped, destroyed your property because you have an opposing view of the U.S. govt. policies on War on Terror?

[edit on 1-5-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
While not having directly affected me, I feel that bush has neglected things here at home that he could of worked on( if he wasnt being paid off) to fix.

some common sense imigration laws would help.... not to mention something needs to be done about big business. this outsourcing of all the jobs makes my skin crawl, in fact if someone would stepo up and not allow US businesses to cut corners and tax drammatically any company that does this I would be applauding.

MBF

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
My problems with the government started before 9-11, about 1999. All my lawyers tell me that what they did to me "is wrong and obvious, but they are the damn government and they can do whatever the hell they want to do to you and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it".

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, maybe our Right to Vote, we've certainly lost the legal ownership of our ballots. We've lost the right to privacy, we've lost the protection of search warrants and due process, anti-trust laws are raped and in that we've lost the ability to feed ourselves and anything like an open source mass media, environmental regulations are literally being suspended, so in a big way we've lost our rights to clean water and air, and we've lost any accountibility on the part of our elected officials.
So yeah, they aren't dragging people out of their homes, but don't fool yourself into thinking nothing has happened. If you haven't thumbed through a history book lately, you won't understand the alarming trends that clearly demonstrate a harm in the status quo of Government above the law.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by twitchy]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
I like to know what freedoms and rights have been taken in the United States. Tell me your personal encounter as to what was takened.
Did the U.S. govt. threaten your family, kidnapped, destroyed your property because you have an opposing view of the U.S. govt. policies on War on Terror?

As someone else pointed out, the problem with the Govt might go beyond the war on terror. I was put on a "terror watch list" some three years before 9/11, so the recent "war on terror" means absolutely nothing to me. I have seen my rights trampled on, as well as others, long before the WOT.

I do know plenty of people though who's families have been threatened, who's property has been destroyed, and I even saw one kidnapping (of which I have one blurry photo as "proof") all because the people on the receiving end did not agree with the govt in one way shape or form.

If you are trying to say that the war on terror hasn't changed much then I would agree (except for the patriot act which has paved the way for increased govt powers). These types of things have been going on since our country's inception and will continue till our demise.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I believe the biggest right we have lost is the right to privacy. Many years ago, I believe the right to privacy meant what we often think that is your private affairs are no one else's business. Now, everything we do or say seems to be recorded, monitored, and observed and analyzed by computer for possible further investigation later if we say the wrong words. We used to be able to drive down a street without fear of harassment from police. Now, state and local governments seem to think setting up check points blocking all traffic are ok especially if they find someone who is guilty of whatever crime they are looking for. We are now guilty until proven innocent if we are stopped on the highway. I've personally been stopped at road blocks and occasionally other times, questioned by the police, and then let go after they determined I wasn't a criminal and wasn't doing anything wrong in the first place.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
A long time ago (long before words like data mining were heard) I started a thread on here about how if you say certain words during a conversation you would hear a series of clicks and I told others to try it and many came back with the same reports of the clicks and now I read about how the NSA is listening in and I realize I was not just being paranoid. The truth is that I preferred thinking I was just being paranoid.

Now everytime I discuss a news report with someone on the phone, I have to wonder how much of the conversation is being scanned, everytime someone expresses delight by saying something was da bomb, who is listening?

The truth is we all are considered a potential felon and if you are wondering who coined that phrase, it has been attributed to Jeb Bush. And as potential felons apparently we do not have the right to privacy.

www.democracynow.org.../05/01/1336245

U.S. Gov't Seeks Dismissal of Domestic Spy Suit Against AT&T
The Bush administration has asked a federal judge to throw out a lawsuit against AT&T that accuses the telecom giant of helping the government carry out illegal domestic spy operations. The Bush administration said the lawsuit could jeopardize military and state secrets. An AT&T whistleblower has already revealed that the National Security Agency has set up a secret spy room in AT&T's San Francisco office. The whistleblower, Mark Klein, claims the NSA has access to any Internet data passing through AT&T system. Klein said he believes that AT&T has also given the NSA access to its facilities in Atlanta, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego and Seattle.

FBI Issued Over 9,000 Subpoenas to Monitor U.S. Citizens
Meanwhile newly released government data shows the FBI issued over 9,000 subpoenas last year to monitor the activities of U.S. citizens. Under the Patriot Act, the FBI can obtain personal phone logs, Internet traffic records and bank information about individuals without a court order. The Justice Department has also revealed that its use of electronic surveillance and search warrants in national security investigations jumped 15 percent last year. It has doubled since 20

[edit on 2-5-2006 by goose]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I believe the biggest right we have lost is the right to privacy. Many years ago, I believe the right to privacy meant what we often think that is your private affairs are no one else's business. Now, everything we do or say seems to be recorded, monitored, and observed and analyzed by computer for possible further investigation later if we say the wrong words. We used to be able to drive down a street without fear of harassment from police. Now, state and local governments seem to think setting up check points blocking all traffic are ok especially if they find someone who is guilty of whatever crime they are looking for. We are now guilty until proven innocent if we are stopped on the highway. I've personally been stopped at road blocks and occasionally other times, questioned by the police, and then let go after they determined I wasn't a criminal and wasn't doing anything wrong in the first place.

I had almost the same situation happen to me. My son,fiance,myself and my two granddaughters (4 yrs olds ) went to a car show about 1 mile up the street from where I live, the two girls were getting tired and wanted to go back to my house so I got them in my son's car (he just got the car and had a paper in the back window stating the car was "In Transit", which is legal in Iowa ) and started for home. The girls and I got about 1/2 way home when an unmarked police car pulled me over, when the cop came to the driver's door he was VERY AGRASSIVE in his manner and speech towards me, he scared the youngest of my two granddaughters so badly that she was screaming in terror.

I gave the cop my drivers license, all the paperwork for the car,insurance card, etc.... , the cop didnot see the "VIN" number in the dash (where it was suppose to be ) and became very bruttish in his speech towards me,... if I tried to say something to him , he would tell me to "Shut up or I was going to jail ", when I opened the car door to see if the "VIN" number was on the inside door frame and "SEEN THAT IT WAS THERE" and tried to direct the cop to the door frame, he started swearing at me, telling me to shut up or he would arrest me, all the while my granddaughter is crying and screaming in terror while the other one sat with tears running down her cheeks scared. I got the cell phone out and called my daughter to come get the girls which she became very upset hearing her daughter screaming and crying in the backround, which time she had managed to get out of her carseat and was scrunched down on the floor-board in a corner trying to hide from the cop. My daughter came and got the girls and their carseats out of the car all the while her little girl is still screaming and crying telling her mommie that the policeman said he was going to take her nana to jail.

The cop came back to my son's car and gave me "two tickets",... one for not having proof of insurance for the car (which I gave him that proof ), one for a child not being in a carseat ( which both girls were in carseats until the cop scared the youngest one so bad that she managed to get out of her's to hide ), then he finally told me to get out of the car and leave but he was impounding the car, we left to go get my son since it was his car, then returned to the car to find the cop "searching" the trunk of the car, my son tried to talk to the cop but the cop told him to mind his own business, that the car was to be impounded and that we needed to leave NOW or we were all going to jail, so we went home.

An hour later a "Black & White" pulled into my driveway, a cop came to the door to tell us that we could "COME GET THE CAR", that HE found the "VIN" number for the car on the driver's door frame and he was sorry for the inconvince.

I would say my Civil Liberties and Civil Rights and that of my families were VERY MUCH Stomped on since Bush gave an ALMOST free-hand to the police to treat citizens anyway they want.

This happened almost "two years" ago and my granddaughter has been mentally maimed by that cop's agressive behavior , she's freaks everytime she see's anyone in a uniform and wearing some sort of badge, be it a "cop" or a "fireman".

I went to a Civil Right's lawyer and she and I went to the police station to talk to the cop's superiors, they said they would investigate the situation and decide what to do if anything, so we left the station the Lawyer said there wasn't much else she could do since it was my word against the cop's and all we could do is HOPE !

When I went to court over the two tickets the judge threw out the charges against me but I had to pay the court-cost, that cop not one time said he was sorry and denied scaring my granddaughter .

As far as I'm concerned GW Bush is the criminal because his stupidity has cost the US Citizens to much as well as the other countries.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Nana, your story really touches me. It makes me realize that this is probably my biggest concern as well – controlling the population.

Control? We need control? Like animals?

And they are succeeding in controlling us today.

There should be something we can do when a cop does what he did to Nana and the kids, but there isn’t. They can pull you over for no reason now. They can search your car without probable cause. You cannot say no to it. They can beat you up They can get away with even shooting you and never seeing the inside of a prison – MANY stories you can read about that. One I am currently following is here. www.msnbc.msn.com... The cop is still not in jail. The guy who filmed it got pulled over a few times that day and then arrested for something in another state – great timing.

I’ve heard stories of folks running from the cops as they’re getting pulled over just out of fear. They had nothing to hide, and were just afraid of what the cop might do.

My 18 year old was playing with those air-soft spring action toy guns with a couple of his friends. Some one called the police as my son left to go pick up mom. My son got pulled over and got a real gun against the back of his head and told “Get the f*** out of the car or I will blow your f***ing brains out.” He was roughed up by this cop even AFTER the other cops were told and saw that it was a toy, clear plastic gun. I didn’t even bother filing a complaint.

Girls getting felt up or raped. Other races getting beat up. Evidence being planted. Injection of fear into the people.

I believe it is planned to be that way and the cops are dumbly following the herd. It is continually getting worse and nothing is stopping it.

You see “police state” on conspiracy sites and at first glance it really seems crazy, but it is happening. I am to the point where I will not call the cops for anything. I turn around if I see signs of a drunk driving road block (where they give out many tickets but find few drunks) and I have nothing to be afraid of.

ALL cops should have camera’s on them. We should make our own surveillance.

If you see a cop, break out your camera phones and film – even if they’re doing nothing wrong. You might save someone’s life.

Our privacy and rights ARE going down hill because too few care.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The patriot act itself and the illegal surveillance are both a blatant example of what we all have lost as American citizens and how much our constitutional rights has been jeopardized.

That is enough for me to feel threatened every day.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
In one incident I was in the left turn lane signaling to turn left at the traffic light. Then a vehicle slightly ahead of me but in the regular lane going straight seemed to be easing into my lane much to my fear because that vehicle wasn't signaling and appeared like they were going to hit my car. I may have slightly swerved and then readjusted after they got back in their proper lane. Then I hurried up and turned at the light and was immediately getting chased by a vehicle. I was thinking oh no, serious road rage. That guy must think I cut him off even though I would have let him in front of me if he had only signaled so I knew his intentions. Then I saw blue lights and a swat team descend upon me. They told me sternly "put your hands on the steering wheel!" They asked me several questions. They shined flashlights in my car looking in through the windows.

I told them my license was in my wallet but they had me wait before taking my hands off the steering wheel. After handing over my driver's license, the cop then told me I was driving erratic. I was thinking "well someone almost hit me by not signaling." I indicated something to the effect. Then he said I sounded a bit excited or agitated. I was thinking "yeah, someone who didn't signal apparently got a case of road rage and was chasing me down a quiet street for who knows what reason? What should I expect? I was almost relieved I saw blue lights instead of two guys with shot guns. However that relief didn't last long. Then after the swat team didn't seem to find anything on me or in my car the officer said "I smell alcohol." I was thinking give me a break. I told him truthfully I hadn't had anything to drink in over a week. After more questioning he told me my record was clean and decided to let me go.

I remember in another town I apparently accelerated too fast after the traffic light turned green (still under the speed limit) and got pulled over and questioned. Apparently any excuse is an ok excuse for getting pulled over and questioned. We might have been doing something wrong if we don't act like a totally ordinary dull half asleep driver. Then I get a phone call days later asking for a donation for the police fund drive.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I remember in another town I apparently accelerated too fast after the traffic light turned green (still under the speed limit) and got pulled over and questioned. Apparently any excuse is an ok excuse for getting pulled over and questioned. We might have been doing something wrong if we don't act like a totally ordinary dull half asleep driver. Then I get a phone call days later asking for a donation for the police fund drive.

I think your confused about the SWAT guys. SWAT teams dont just go out driving around to do traffic stops. I've been pulled over just like this with the lights in the window and everything because I fell asleep at the wheel and ran a red light. I did the field sobriety test and everything then they let me go. The officers that pulled me over did have on what appeard to be tactical clothing on, jump suits that you would wear under your tacvest and such and combat boots. They were probably members of SWAT doing double duty while on call, its not uncommon in cities that dont have full time SWAT units.

But anyhow, if you accellerated too fast the cop probably pulled you over to see if you had been drinking. In my police operations class it is listed as one of the reasons to believe someone has been drinking. Accellerating too fast, too slow, swerving, honking the horn excessively ect. When they pull you over they dont just ask you if youve been drinking immediately. He will ask for your liscense and ask questions really fast while you are retrieving it to see if you mess up fumble with your wallet and such. Theyre trying to see if there is reason to take it a step further and either give you a field sobriety test or an alcosensor. Its standard procedure I assure you.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I just had a black and white helicopter circle my property back and forth about three times earlier this afternoon, they pulled off when I stepped out on the porch with a camera. It was obnoxious. Hope they got some good pictures of my vegetable garden.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
I just had a black and white helicopter circle my property back and forth about three times earlier this afternoon, they pulled off when I stepped out on the porch with a camera. It was obnoxious. Hope they got some good pictures of my vegetable garden.

Probably marijuana sweeps. Though typically they will use infrared imaging to find ultraviolent lights people use to grow it indoors. Depends where you live really. If it was a police helo at all, in Charlotte where I live we always have helicopters flying around my house. I'll see 2 of them just while out cutting the grass. But I dont know, you may be in a more rural area, in which case Police begin doing their marijuana recon in early spring, looking for plants hidden among crops. Its not unusual.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
ludaChris thanks for the info. That does explain some things. However I think they need to add a section about the type of car someone is driving. If someone was driving an almost new Trans Am at the time which accelerates rapidly from a stand still with barely a tap on the gas pedal, I believe they should let that case go unless the driver did something illegal such as speed above the speed limit or start swerving or something else that is unusual. I got surprised myself a few times at how fast that car accelerated. I suppose if you take someone out of a bigger city where everyone drives a bit faster and then put him in a slower city, he'll always look a bit out of place.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This incident occurred many years ago in NC when I was driving a large vehicle down a lonely road. I saw an Apache attack helicopter overhead. Usually aircraft disappear within a few minutes. This one didn't. I thought maybe it was following me for several miles. I thought my suspicions were confirmed when I could still spot the helicopter several minutes later as if it had locked in on my car. After driving through a small city with a number of green lights I finally reached a red traffic light. While I was waiting there, the helicopter suddenly descended to just above the intersection and hovered there as if the pilot was watching me. I felt like he had some kind of target lock on me which didn't make me feel comfortable. Then he finally flew off. I didn't care to have my vehicle be used for target lock practice.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   

ludaChris thanks for the info. That does explain some things. However I think they need to add a section about the type of car someone is driving. If someone was driving an almost new Trans Am at the time which accelerates rapidly from a stand still with barely a tap on the gas pedal, I believe they should let that case go unless the driver did something illegal such as speed above the speed limit or start swerving or something else that is unusual. I got surprised myself a few times at how fast that car accelerated. I suppose if you take someone out of a bigger city where everyone drives a bit faster and then put him in a slower city, he'll always look a bit out of place.

No problem, I like the chance to use the knowledge I've been picking up over the past 3 years. They probably wont make an exception by the type of car you drive, because even if youre not drinking, they will probably wait for you to speed and pull you over anyhow. But its procedure to look for those type of things while on patrol, and when you see them, you have to act on them, because if someone dies because a cop just assumed someone wasnt drinking and driving, the officer and the city could be sued for failure to protect, and failure to act according to procedure. Its just like when you handle any biological substance, you treat it all as if it is infectious, its pretty much just about safety.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nanna_of_6
I... since Bush gave an ALMOST free-hand to the police to treat citizens anyway they want.

Ummm, the police in my area have acted like this for a couple of decades now. I had overly aggressive treatment from an officer in 1998, well before President Bush was elected. So I guess I should blame Bill Clinton?

Please, Bashers, not everything is President Bush's fault

Some is just *jerks* of local law enforcement.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz

Originally posted by nanna_of_6

Please, Bashers, not everything is President Bush's fault

Some is just *jerks* of local law enforcement.
...........empowered by the jerk in the White house. That's right, with the Patriot Act and the war on terror, and with the boogeyman around the corner, law enforcement has built a paranoid unit, and vigilantism far exceediing anything else before/

Who's the jerk

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   

This incident occurred many years ago in NC when I was driving a large vehicle down a lonely road. I saw an Apache attack helicopter overhead. Usually aircraft disappear within a few minutes. This one didn't. I thought maybe it was following me for several miles. I thought my suspicions were confirmed when I could still spot the helicopter several minutes later as if it had locked in on my car. After driving through a small city with a number of green lights I finally reached a red traffic light. While I was waiting there, the helicopter suddenly descended to just above the intersection and hovered there as if the pilot was watching me. I felt like he had some kind of target lock on me which didn't make me feel comfortable. Then he finally flew off. I didn't care to have my vehicle be used for target lock practice.

If you were in NC I wouldnt be surprised to see an Apache. I'm from NC and I see AH-1 Cobras doing maneuvers over our campus all the time. C-130's come overhead pretty low every once in a while. The Apache you saw probably came from the Raleigh are, the 1st Battalion 130th Aviation Regiment. They flew over Bank of America Stadium on Nov 13th of last year for a Panthers Game, oddly enough thats the units name, the "Flying Panthers." Probably doing some traiing maneuvers out that way. I wouldnt be surprised if they did use civilian cars as target practice, you probably did get lit up for a shot that night. I mean what else are they going to practice on that isnt unpredictable, that they will have to react to?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join