It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10mm Auto ammunition.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AKaholic
I am going to use it for backpacking in black bear country and may even use it for deer hunting. I have heard the ballistics are more .41 magnum like but I think that is a moot point
[edit on 1/5/2006 by AKaholic]

Don't let the black bear worry you. Make a little noise while your walking and you will never see one. Unless you get between a mother and cub they won't become agressive unless you do something dumb. Also before you pull the trigger and kill an innocent animal, unless the bear is already charging, face the bear, wave your arms and yell and odds are the bear will run. If you are charged empty the clip into their upper torso. If you try for the head the round will probably be deflected by the skull.

As to the deer. Use the smallest round possible unless you want a bunch of worthless bloodshot meat.

If you ever come up here to brown bear country pack the most power you can find. Brown bear are pure carnivores and basicaly by the time you see one you may already be in deep doodoo.

The reason I'm posting this is often people get the wrong idea about black bear. They, unlike brown and polar bear, are not very agressive towards humans and to often people kill them out of an irrational fear. We have 40 or 50 of them that live here in the Anchorage Municipality and the only real problem is keeping them out of the garbage and occasionaly they will break into a house. We also share our city with a lots of Moose. We respect them and they don't bother us. We all get a good laugh when we see the news stories about how other cities panic and dart or kill them for no reason. Anchorage is a fairly large modern city and we never have to do that. We just keep our distance and let them go there way.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I bought all those guns new. I am a British Citizen (Permanent Resident), but I live in PA. I've lived in the states since I was 14. I am a senior at Penn State University. I recently had an internship at a major pharmaceutical firm. 900 a week salary plus all expenses paid = alot of left over cash. Once I bought the CZ (before the internship), I was hooked, I finally had the money to get my "dream guns" with the internship. The rest of the money I just piled back into my portfolio. No better way to make money than to have your own money make it for you, I always say.

I bought the FN 5.7 on gunsamerica for $775 new. I use the ss197 ammo for target practice, but when the gun is at home, I load it with ss192(hollow point) that I happened to comeby out of sheer chance. Its interesting because the ss197 is still able to pierce body armor, just not IIIA grade like the mil-spec ss190. I wish I could get a hold of some ss190 ammo, but no luck. The ss197 has a velocity around 2300fps. Can't remember the ss192, I think its slower. The ss197 tumbles upon impact because the core of the bullet isnt lead, its steel up front, aluminum in the back. The mass difference plus the spinning causes the bullet to tumble after penetration. The jhp, just does what an jhp does.

I really like the FNP-9.
The build quality is extremely good, and I love the way it sits in my hand. I initially bought it for looks. I thought it looked like Corban's pistol from the fifth element. But now it is my 2nd favorite gun. Mind you, I'm a big guy. 6'4" 220 of lean british beef, and the FNP-9 sits my hand pretty well. Mine is black. I bought it for $550 brand new. I really like it because I can get a good grouping of 5 bullets within a 4 inch diameter in a couple seconds. I can't seem to do that with the .45, no matter how much I try to muscle it. In a self defense situation, I would rather get off 5 clean shots wherever I want on the person, than 3 shots with a higher variance between each shot. People may argue that if you want quick incapacitation, use a .45. However, most reflex shooting involves about 3 shots, and I would rather drive home an extra two that I know will hit. Its not like my attacker would be a hyped-out berzerker from new guinnea with his scrotum tied against his dick to piss him get him even crazier. Then again, a strung-out crack addict in north philly (I don't know why I would be there in the first place) might just present such a problem. I still stand by my reasoning.

I hope this answers some of the questions that came up.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Galvatron]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Galvatron
People may argue that if you want quick incapacitation, use a .45. However, most reflex shooting involves about 3 shots, and I would rather drive home an extra two that I know will hit. Its not like my attacker would be a hyped-out berzerker from new guinnea with his scrotum tied against his dick to piss him get him even crazier. Then again, a strung-out crack addict in north philly (I don't know why I would be there in the first place) might just present such a problem. I still stand by my reasoning.

When it comes down to it I think experience is more important than the weapon used. I’ve been with a number of people on their first hunting trip. They all start out the same. They were all excellent shots when the target was an inanimate object. A couple of them were superior marksman. They all totally screwed up their first shot at a living thing. Once that adrenalin starts to flow experience matters more than the caliber of the weapon. A .22 is a deadly weapon in the right hands. For personal protection away from home I prefer a 9mm. Its light, easily concealed and a carefully placed shot will stop anyone. For home protection, forget the pistols. Nothing will serve you better than a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot. You can still be half asleep and hit your target. Just make damn sure your target is not your drunken kid brother looking for more beer money.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Don't let the black bear worry you. Make a little noise while your walking and you will never see one. Unless you get between a mother and cub they won't become agressive unless you do something dumb. Also before you pull the trigger and kill an innocent animal, unless the bear is already charging, face the bear, wave your arms and yell and odds are the bear will run. If you are charged empty the clip into their upper torso. If you try for the head the round will probably be deflected by the skull.

I understand what you are saying, black bear come in my property regularly and I know about them I know they are like other animals and attack only when threatened, it is just incase, in one of the very few small cases were black bear attack I want to be ready, and have enough gun to take them out if I have to.

On a side note of being between a mother and her cubs I know most of the times they dont attack. My little sister was once caught between a mother and her cubs and I grabbed the only weapon I could find, a sledge hammer (fearing for my sisters life, the last time I was ever out of ammo) and charged the bear. She ran away quickly abandoning her cubs.

Here is the thing I know 99% of the time loud noises and such will stop an attack I just want to be as prepared as possible in case the unbelieveable happens. That said most I have to worry about on camping trips and such is 2 legged predators...

[edit on 4/5/2006 by AKaholic]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Damn Galv spread that love around!
j/k

That FNP actually goes for pretty damn cheap on some auction sites, wow, I might be able to afford one of them afterall...but not right now.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I LOVE MY GLOCK 23 IT IS PERFECT

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join