It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese businessman buys Mig 21 at ebay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

A Chinese businessman has bought an old MiG-21f fighter jet for nearly $25,000 (£14,000) on eBay to decorate his office, a Chinese newspaper reports.
Zhang Cheng bought the Soviet-made jet from a seller in the United States, where it is said to be in excellent condition though last flown in 1995.

"I have the buying power and my company has an empty space where I can display the plane," he told the Beijing News.

news.bbc.co.uk...

it seems that anything is for sale right now, what will be next a Su-27, the YF-23...

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Avro Vulcan XL391 was also bought on Ebay once, It was not an Airworthy flying piece but the pub owner who bought it was to use it as an attraction for his pub, Sadly it was too expensive to transport it so it was eventually scrapped.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have actually been inside Vulcan XL391 myself which has been hanging outside Blackpool Airport since 1983, Now its gone and will be sadly missed.

There is a place in South Africa which is the worlds only private collection of Supersonic Jet Fighters

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Browno]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
20 odd years ago there was an advert in the classifieds at the back of Flight International, I'll never forget it. The gist of the advert (obviously I can't remember it word for word) was '12 Hawker Hunters including several spare Avon engines and ancillary equipment for sale, well maintained, excellent condition, please forward bids to the Zimbabwe Air Force'.

I couldn't believe it, a dozen jet fighters advertised like second hand cars!

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
There is a place in South Africa which is the worlds only private collection of Supersonic Jet Fighters

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Browno]

That should read, "world's LARGEST private collection..." not "ONLY private collection"...

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Funny...

I remember when an american bought an F/A-18 for himself...

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
An American has bought one of the newly retired Royal Navy Sea Harriers and it will be the first private Harrier on the airshow circuit next year.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Wired had a great article a while back about a guy in Illinois.

Here is a link to the Wired story

Building your own airforce one mig at a time

[edit on 2-5-2006 by warpboost]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Anybody know why you can buy a fighter jet on ebay but not a machine gun? I don't get it, what is wrong with somebody picking up a little fire power on the personal level.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Because the only way you can legally fly the fighter is to have it disarmed. Either the guns have to be removed, or disabled in a way that they can't be returned to service. Most people fill them with metal of some sort, or remove them and replace them with replicas.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
gov liquidation site had a military 707 for auction

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Gah, why can't a private citizen not own an armed fighter jet? I mean if the US government ever tries to screw us we can atleast fight back with our private owned fighters lol, atleast make SAMs legal, c'mon! (disclaimer, this is not a serious statement).

I wouldn't mind owning an old war-bird, like an A-10 or F-4 or something, would the HUD on it still work? and the weapon avionics?

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There was an abandoned missile silo once sold on eBay for around 300k.

I think that would be a cool place to live, and fly into work on my MiG

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
A British aircraft carrier was auctionned on Ebay.

This link is a mirrored page because the original Ebay page is down:
www.kungfo0.org...

No bidders, I wonder if it's still for sale or if they turned it into scrap metal.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this fella can't get the thing shipped to him in China so he's outa luck and looking for a refund. He should stop being such a cheapskate and just buy one from Russia and have a herd of elephants tug it back to his digs like a real man.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ah, Fulcrums are sexier (MiG-29). So is the entire Flanker Series (Su-35)

top topics

join