It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Colbert at the White House Correspondent’s dinner

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Video Part 1
Video Part 2

This thing is hilarious! The president is in attendance.

Wow, wow, what an honor. The White House correspondents’ dinner. To just sit here, at the same table with my hero, George W. Bush, to be this close to the man. I feel like I’m dreaming. Somebody pinch me. You know what; I’m a pretty sound sleeper that may not be enough. Somebody shoot me in the face.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I knew they didnt have a sense of humor. After Colbert's speech, neither the president nor the First Lady had much to say to him and were "visibly" offended!

SO- the media didnt touch that one with a 10 foot pole!!!!!

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
That was absolutely hilarious!

Majic's Political Easter Egg: Be the first to post how many children were born to Stephen Colbert's parents in this thread and send Majic a U2U with a link to your post, and you will be awarded 500 PTS points.

[edit on 7/15/2006 by Majic]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I knew they didnt have a sense of humor.

They both have a great sense of humor. President Bush was making-fun of himself before it was Colbert's turn.

Earlier, the president had addressed the crowd with a Bush impersonator alongside, with the faux-Bush speaking precisely and the real Bush deliberately mispronouncing words, such as the inevitable "nuclear." At the close, Bush called the imposter "a fine talent. In fact, he did all my debates with Senator Kerry." The routine went over well with this particular crowd -- better than did Colbert's, in fact, for whatever reason.

The problem was that Colbert's speech was crass, rude, and meanspirted. It was just shameful, if in fact you read up on it Colbert's speech didn't get many laughs at all...

In its report on the affair, USA Today asserted that some in the crowd cracked up over Colbert but others were "bewildered."

Link.

The Colbert Report is a pretty bad show, so I'm not suprised he tried to get attention with this crude and offensive stunt.

-- Boat

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Boatphone]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone

I'm not suprised he tried to get attention with this crude and offensive stunt.

What 'stunt'? He hosted the thing!
Yeah, what a 'stunt' to accept the invitation to host it!

And his politics are well-known. It's not like this was a surprise.

I loved the audience reaction! Some were cracking up and some were wondering "Who is this guy? We don't allow people with opposing viewpoints to hang out with us, do we"?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Oh, please...

If you read the article many times in the past the host makes fun of both the President and the press Colbert just attacked the President is a crass manner.

It just made Colbert look rude, which he was. The President was much funnnier by all acounts.

-- Boat

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

If you read the article many times in the past the host makes fun of both the President and the press Colbert just attacked the President is a crass manner.

Umm... Did you not see the video? Looked like he was attacking the press as well as the President, in my opinion.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

From your link:

He attacked those in the press who claim that the shake-up at the White House was merely re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Also lampooning the press, Colbert complained that he was “surrounded by the liberal media who are destroying this country, except for Fox News.
Addressing the reporters, he said, "Let's review the rules. Here's how it works. The president makes decisions, he’s the decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Put them through a spell check and go home.

I don't know who thought they would get Stephen Colbert to come in and kiss up to the president, but I don't know why they're crying. What?... are they surprised? If they watched his show, they'd know what they were in for!

Colbert's a genious! And hilarious at that! If George was offended it's because the truth hurts!

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm not buying it BH,

Colbert did not attack the press he used the press to attack President Buch and his defenders. It was over the top and offensive...very crass.

Enjoy your vulgar laughs, and the hate...

I'll be loving the next three years...

-- Boat

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Colbert's a genious!

His show is horrible...i bet its off the air next year.

And hilarious at that! If George was offended it's because the truth hurts!

Like I said the President was and is funnier...lies hurt BH, lies hurt..

-- Boat

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A difference of opinion is not a lie, and that is all this is.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Enjoy your vulgar laughs,

I'd rather be laughing than bitter and sour anyday!

I'm so vulgar I can't stand myself!

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I agree with Boatphone that Bush is much funnier than Colbert. All Bush has to do is be himself and he makes me laugh

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
be laughing than bitter and sour anyday!

It's better to be informed, but I agree being bitter is unenjoyable.

I'm so vulgar I can't stand myself!

Sounds horrid.

-- Boat

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Vulgar?

Boatphone, if you look forward to enjoying the next three years you must be a masochist of the rarest form. You're in for a treat!!! You've yet to see some douzies!

plus much much more!!!!!

Enjoy!

OOOhhh, and THIS is vulgar:

[edit on 2-5-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

plus much much more!!!!!

True, if I saw Rove in a tie like that I would be pretty upset...

OOOhhh, and THIS is vulgar:

True, that is vulgar. I can't defend the President on that one. But he was just joking with people behind the camra. Still, got me there.

-- Boat

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Boat,

I knew you were human. You are also very visual. Me too. Sometimes pictures speak louder than words.

You have restored my faith.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
That was firkkin hilarious!!
:

Just goes to show you don't have to make things up to be funny, for there is nothing, NOTHING funnier than the truth. Kudos.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Colbert truly is a hero of the American people.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
During the entire speech I didn't hear Colbert make one false statement. His set ups were the facts, his punchlines were his take on the facts. Brilliant

top topics

<<   2 >>

join