It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone tell me what this is

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hi im a newbie to ATS and a while back i was taking pictures of a rainbow while standing on my roof when i looked at it on the screen of the digital camera i saw a little thing in the sky i looked up in the sky and there was nothing there so i ruled out that it was a plane i took several pictures after that so i know it was nothing on the screen can anyone identify it is a little white thing and it is shooting down from the sky and it has a trail i have zoomed it four times so people can get a good look at it. I was hoping i might have discovered a ufo space craft but i wasnt sure so i posted it on here so i can get other peoples opiouns

this one is it zoomed out

and this is one i took strait after to prove ther is nothing on the camera lense

mod edit: Please read this link-ATTN: Image Size Guidelines

[edit on 1-5-2006 by sanctum]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
1st off, you live near the Fires at all?, cuz it looks like Storm clouds but other features dont fit, ot else its dusk,

2nd theres what looks to be a faint trail thats pretty long before the object an a
3rd it looks like a cylinder with two blurps on both sides on the aft-end

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
i do not live near any fires and there wasnt any fires and it was just an ordinary cloudy day and it was in the afternoon that i took the picture so thats why it might look a bit dark so but that one little thing sticks out from the rest of the picture

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Do you have the links to the unresized images? After an image has been down-sized and re-sampled like this it's nearly impossible to tell anything about a tiny smudge.

Right now, I'm going to put it down to a bird or a bug. I've seen dark trails behind a white object like that on other pictures, most notably some of the digital "Roswell Rod" pictures.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by rand]

Ox

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Whatever it is, it's descending.. Just from the way it's leaving a wake behind it anyway.. Just a thought.. Maybe something that has entered the atmosphere already and is on its way in?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
"A bird or a bug" lmao

There is no way this is either, what a ridiculous statement.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xare
"A bird or a bug" lmao

There is no way this is either, what a ridiculous statement.

So, now that you've laughed your ass off, do you have anything actually useful to add to the discusion?

See edit above; I'm willing to change my opinion in the light of new evidence.

While you've been lyao, some of us have been researching the image.

And I just noticed pyro's camera said it auto-fired flash, so the bug theory is back in play: it could be a bug illuminated by the flash; the trail could be a shadow on the mist caused by the flash, which is quite close to the lens.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Looks like an airliner to me. Since you were taking a picture of a rainbow I think it is safe to assume that rainclouda are why your picture is dark. The airliner was in an open section of the sky and the Sun's reflection is why it appears to be glowing. The trails that you see are the sections of the normal contrails that are highlighted by the sun.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hi Pyro-
I think you very well may have captured ball lightning. I would have to assume it was raining in that distance to get a rainbow so very defined as it is. If you do a Google Image Search on ball lightning, you'll see objects very close in characteristics to your object.

Ball lightning is also fleeting, so it wouldnt have lasted long either...which explains why you didnt see it after snapping.

While it may not be a UFO per se, you've still captured a fairly rare thing. (If indeed it's ball lightning...which I think might be a likely answer.)

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rand
And I just noticed pyro's camera said it auto-fired flash, so the bug theory is back in play: it could be a bug illuminated by the flash; the trail could be a shadow on the mist caused by the flash, which is quite close to the lens.

He saw the object in the sky and took a picture of it. Its not a bug "illuminated" by the flash. Gimmie a break [removed derogatory comment directed at another member]. Could you make up a more convoluted story ?

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Xare]

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by AgentSmith]

[edit on 5/1/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Mods: kill this one, please. It did not bring anything to the discussion.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyr0man1ac
I was hoping i might have discovered a ufo space craft but i wasnt sure so i posted it on here so i can get other peoples opiouns

I'm tired of *squinting* and having to be suggested (by the mere fact that a photo is posted on a board devoted to aliens) in order to see a UFO in a pic. I'm starting to think that I could post pretty much any random set of vacation pics with sky in them and SOMEONE would find some UFO to talk about in the pic. Heck, even the ones without sky might have a bug (I mean... rod) in there somewhere.

I can't wait for actual aliens to come down (I wish) and tell everyone that they're the first to visit us, and they know this because they're the only aliens in the galaxy aside from us. And all those things we saw were bugs, balloons, airplanes, seagulls, lens flare, and a lot of pure concentrated wishful thinking.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xare
We saw the object in the sky and took a picture of it. Its not a bug "illuminated" by the flash. Gimmie a break loser. Could you make up a more convoluted story ?

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Xare]

No, he took a picture of the RAINBOW and saw the object in question after the fact. If you're going to come into a thread and make fun of people as well as call them names, maybe you should actually read the thread or you will be the one that looks like a loser.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by AgentSmith]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The petty name calling will cease NOW.

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
pyr0man1ac, I hope you didn't get put off by all the bickering

All of us, I'm sure, would still like a look at those original images, if you still want opinions. You've captured something in that picture, and you may actually have an all-too-rare well exposed, in-focus image, but right now it's still unknown.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
sorry i havent replied i have been at school all day but i can put the links on the site so you can get a better look
i hope i did find something because i have shown a few people and they cannot identify it is there any ufo place i can send it to so they can tell me what it might be

i83.photobucket.com...

i83.photobucket.com...

i83.photobucket.com...

i83.photobucket.com...

those are the images i hope you can open them

[edit on 2-5-2006 by pyr0man1ac]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyr0man1ac
those are the images i hope you can open them

Thanks, much better.

File name : ufo.jpg
File size : 107496 bytes
File date : 2006:05:02 08:49:12
Camera make : EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera model : KODAK Z700 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Date/Time : 2006:01:02 19:27:00
Resolution : 1152 x 864
Flash used : Yes (auto)
Focal length : 6.0mm (35mm equivalent: 35mm)
Exposure time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture : f/2.8
ISO equiv. : 140
Whitebalance : Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure : program (auto)

The smaller/closer pictures seem to have more detail, but their exif data says they're all just cropped versions of the same image. Have these been resized/resampled? (Jpeg compression is bad enough
, resampling really screws up an image.) I suspect the real original image was shot with full-resolution (2304 × 1728), 'ufo.jpg' was downsized 50% with resampling, and the other three were cropped straight from the original without resizing.

Still looks like a bug or a bird. Of the two, I'm leaning toward bird since the wings are reflecting so much, something with a long body perhaps, like an ibis.

The dark streak tapers towards a point as it fades out, exactly like a shadow from either the sun or the flash would do. If this were a white or silver object near the clouds we would expect it to be reflecting the same color light as the clouds, but it's much brighter and has different color curves. It's doesn't seem to be glowing; there are darker areas, and they're right about where we would expect if it were bird-shaped. With the brightness turned down, the main part of the object shows two fairly distinct areas, although I can't tell if it's head+body or body+tail.

No time now, I'll post the pictures later.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I dont see it being a bug or bird, despite the appendanges which may or may not be wings (of an airplane for that matter)

What takes me from guessing that, is the dark "tail" which I dont believe is any sort of "shadow", as overall lighting isnt good enough to produce one at such definition. If it were a bug, or bird, then there's really no way for a shadow to get to the point that this one is given the lighting. The flash isnt going to make a shadow like that...if it's that close where is the reflected light?

However the "tail" may be blur from the exposure before the flash executed. IF it's a bug made hot in the image from the flash, with a blur at preflash exposure, it would be very close, fast, and truthfully I'd expect more reflected light. But, thats not saying it couldnt be.

Looking at the object on the outset, it appears to be giving off it's own light. I lean towards a small ball lightning event due to the weather condition obvious in the photo. Ball lightning does emit a "tail" of sorts given the right conditions.

Really? Youre never going to know for sure because there's simply not enough information. The CCD in the camera is trying to convey what I "saw" and this is what it registered at. The reality of the view may have been worlds different looking to a human eye.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I can't believe people think that's a bird or a bug

A bird leaves a contrail behind?
A bug leaves a contrail behind? (I mean, a white shining HUGE bug????)
An asteroid... shouldn't be on fire? (I mean, if it's entering the atmosphere...)
A plane? let's see: what kind of plane leaves a contrail like that? I mean, 2 engines aircraft leave 2 VERY CLEAR contrails, 4 engine aircraft leave 4 VERY CLEAR contrails... and so.

I'm not saying it's an alien space-ship (nor the autor or the photograph), I just don't know what it is. But people: if you want to give an explanation... please try a little harder.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by segalindoa]

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I don't think it would be a bird.

But I did some looking around on the net, and it seems other pictures with similar imagery are also argued to be bugs.

www.cloudbait.com...

At first, I thought that a 'bug' argument was ridiculous, but apparently this can be what they look like on a digital camera with flash.

I have no personal expertise with this, so I am just taking this on the merit of what I read on the net. lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join