It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Turkey won't let US use its bases to attack Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Turkey, an Islamic country with a shocking human rights record, has been backed by the US for a long time and is a member of NATO of long standing. The US has been backing Turkey's efforts to join the EU. But who knows... the spirit of democracy might be rising in Turkey after all, because their foreign minister Abdullah Gul has turned down the bribe of a nuclear reactor in exchange for the US using their bases to attack Iran.

I particularly like that "nuclear reactor" attempted bribe. Now that's irony for you, Alannis.

source

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Good for them!!!

Of course, this will be no deterrent to Bush & Co.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Is this your news or is there a link to the story.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Hardly matters anyways. The USA just got the green light to make multiple bases in Bulgaria and Romania. With the right to launch air strikes without the countries consent either.

Turkey is a good grab if you can get it, but it not critical by any stretch. Dont forget the USA has direct access to Irans border through Iraq and Afghanistan already.

So..Meaningless that Turkey wont allow it.

Good for USA!

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Skippy, i luv and respect you

and i wish you didnt have a death wish. Promoting such a move by this administration, is terribly dangerous.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Hardly matters anyways. The USA just got the green light to make multiple bases in Bulgaria and Romania. With the right to launch air strikes without the countries consent either.

Turkey is a good grab if you can get it, but it not critical by any stretch. Dont forget the USA has direct access to Irans border through Iraq and Afghanistan already.

Good for USA!

And in addition:

Rice is currently negotiating with Greece for military activities/establishments.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve99
Is this your news or is there a link to the story.

Granted, I didn't make it big and obvious, but the link is the red word 'source' at the end.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Good for USA!

Skip do u have links about US bases in romania and bulgaria?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Good for USA!

My, how the diplomatic service missed out when you turned them down. You could have been SUCH an ambassador for the US. School of John Bolton, I think.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

My, how the diplomatic service missed out when you turned them down. You could have been SUCH an ambassador for the US. School of John Bolton, I think.

#1 Although I didnt take offense, personal insults (as was clearly your intention) are against the TOS of this site, you may want to check that at the door to avoid reprecussions.

#2 Your agenda is perfectly clear as well: "...turned down the bribe...", little embelishing there Rich?. People in glass houses...

And yes, it matters not what Turkey allows or dissalows the US to do. And thats just fine in the Skippy house of logic.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
From the original story:

Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul said Sunday that his country refused a request from the United States to attack Iran from its Air Force base in Incirlik, despite the U.S. offer of a nuclear reactor, according to a report in Al Biyan.

Are you telling me that's not a bribe?

And are you really saying that a little jibe about your lack of tact is a personal insult? Not that you'd take offence, oh no.

Frankly, you're so little concerned with offending other people, you should be the one who worries about living in a glass house.

And you 'patriots' are always the first ones to complain about "anti-Americanism" on this board, yet you can't see why your attitude is offensive. It's just... not very intelligent.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by rich23]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Skippy why do you hate Islam so much? They didnt attack our country on 9/11, our government did. You ever look into the history of Islamic/Arab Terrorism? It is not to make us so angry we attack them. It is not to install so much fear we fall apart either.

It is to get the AMERICAN PEOPLE'S attention. This is why all terror is overseas and against our military or other countries that support Isreal. All for OUR attention ao that the American people take hard look at the caue of Palestine. Lets say you are being attacked by someone and you need a police officers help. Do you attack the officer? I dont think so.

Fire Engineering Magizine had an article back in "02", here is a uote from it.

A respected firefighting trade magazine with ties to the city Fire Department is calling for a "full-throttle, fully resourced" investigation into the collapse of the World Trade Center. A signed editorial in the January issue of Fire Engineering magazine says the current investigation is "a half-baked farce." The piece by Bill Manning, editor of the 125-year-old monthly that frequently publishes technical studies of major fires, also says the steel from the site should be preserved so investigators can examine what caused the collapse. "Did they throw away the locked doors from the Triangle Shirtwaist fire? Did they throw away the gas can used at the Happy Land social club fire? ... That's what they're doing at the World Trade Center," the editorial says. "The destruction and removal of evidence must stop immediately." Fire Engineering counted FDNY Deputy Chief Raymond Downey, the department's chief structural expert, among its senior advisers. Downey was killed in the Sept. 11 attack. John Jay College's fire engineering expert, Prof. Glenn Corbett, serves as the magazine's technical editor.

So why did thy not inspect and keep the steel instead of shipping it to China? That never happens, fire investigations are exaustive and thorough and nothing is thrown away until all questions have been answered.

So instead of speculating on the real questions, you just buy all the rhetoric and just cant wait until we kill some more children. This is AMERICA we NEVER should do pre-emptive attacks on other countries.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

So instead of speculating on the real questions, you just buy all the rhetoric and just cant wait until we kill some more children. This is AMERICA we NEVER should do pre-emptive attacks on other countries.

Strikes, no, pre-emptive, yes.

Strikes wouldn't be a solution as the Iranians savely put their weaponary under the surface, too deep for (air) strikes.

Do you remember what happened at the beginning of WWII? The Western powers urged the Czechs to comply with Germany believing that they could prevent a general war by appeasing Hitler.

The current situation might differ, but Amadhinejad is looking for war. If he wasn't, he would already have started to cooperate with the western coalition, he wouldn't have made statements such as We'll wipe Israel off the map, he wouldn't have increased the military budget as much as he's currently doing, etc.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hey rich23, what is the "known to tell a lie about the U.S." Turkey going to do if a strike against Iran turns into a NATO operation?

Furthermore, how did "known to tell a lie about the U.S." Turkey know that the U.S. was planning or going to attack Iran? The story smells more and more like bullcrap, IMHO.

Anyhow, is there anything new here with what Turkey is saying? Hardly. Turkey would not let the U.S. use their bases in Turkey as staging points for the removal of Saddam. Nothing new here.

Personally, instead of offering "known to tell a lie about the U.S." Turkey a nuclear reactor, the US should simply tell Turkey to kiss its arse and close the bases that the U.S. does currently have in the Trojan Horse for Islam state of Turkey. Moreover, the U.S. should tell Turkey that its about time to create a Kurdish state and that they had better keep their collective genocide hands of the Kurds. The Cold War is over, just as Turkey's usefulness to the U.S.

seekerof

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Personally, instead of offering "known to tell a lie about the U.S." Turkey a nuclear reactor, the US should simply tell Turkey to kiss its arse and close the bases that the U.S. does currently have in the Trojan Horse for Islam state of Turkey. Moreover, the U.S. should tell Turkey that its about time to create a Kurdish state and that they had better keep their collective genocide hands of the Kurds. The Cold War is over, just as Turkey's usefulness to the U.S.

seekerof

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Seekerof]

I agree with you here completely. Time for the US to close its bases in Turkey, and in fact we should create a Kurd nation and rebuild our bases that we close in Turkey there.

With friends like Turkey....

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
The current situation might differ, but Amadhinejad is looking for war. If he wasn't, he would already have started to cooperate with the western coalition, he wouldn't have made statements such as We'll wipe Israel off the map, he wouldn't have increased the military budget as much as he's currently doing, etc.

What do people do when threatened with a militry giant like the US? Look weak and hope they do not attack you? Or puff up and make them think about losing Isreal, and getting a black eye to boot.

I would. So would you. We startd this threat business because Iran is pursuing a nuclear program. Look at Isreal, they have nukes would you want those crazy people near you and not have a way to defend yourself?

Learn to walk in anothers shoes and have some empathy it really is quite helpful.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Ok this is really getting somewhat over the top...

Thumbs up to Turkey for not supporting Bush's latest middle east craze.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

Good for USA!

Stuff like this has no place here. If your ONLY point is to attack the poster dont post. Now back to the topic

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hey rich23, what is the "known to tell a lie about the U.S." Turkey going to do if a strike against Iran turns into a NATO operation?

The chances that the "known to tell a lie about Iraq, France, Russia, Iran, Afghanistan, Venezuela (I could go on but you get the point)" US could inveigle the rest of NATO to get involved in what is clearly a pre-emptive (=illegal, for the civilised world) war are pretty slender. There just aren't enough bribes to go round or arms to twist.

Furthermore, how did "known to tell a lie about the U.S." Turkey know that the U.S. was planning or going to attack Iran? The story smells more and more like bullcrap, IMHO.

Perhaps because the "known to tell lies about anyone if it suits their purposes" US has special forces in Iran, has a carrier group in the Med who are doing dummy bombing runs in Iran, or PERHAPS BECAUSE THE "k.t.t.l.a.a.i.i.s.t.p." US ASKED THEM FOR PERMISSION AND OFFERED THEM A SHINY NEW NUCLEAR REACTOR? I mean, come on, read the story. It makes me wonder how you got that blue gong, frankly.

Anyhow, is there anything new here with what Turkey is saying? Hardly. Turkey would not let the U.S. use their bases in Turkey as staging points for the removal of Saddam. Nothing new here.

Hooray. Turkey actually listened to its people then, and no doubt they think the case for attacking Iran is even shakier than the one against Iraq.

Personally, instead of offering "known to tell a lie about the U.S." Turkey a nuclear reactor, the US should simply tell Turkey to kiss its arse and close the bases that the U.S. does currently have in the Trojan Horse for Islam state of Turkey.

You're kidding. The US TAKE ITS BASES OUT OF SOMEWHERE? That NEVER happens. Oh, wait, they took their bases out of Saudi Arabia... just like OSAMA wanted them to do all along. There has to be an exception to prove the rule.

Moreover, the U.S. should tell Turkey that its about time to create a Kurdish state and that they had better keep their collective genocide hands of the Kurds. The Cold War is over, just as Turkey's usefulness to the U.S.

Hang on... how long will the Kurds be useful to the US? They were, before, for a little while, when Daddy Warbucks Bush wanted them all to rise up against Saddam... and then the US sat on its hands as the Kurds were massacred by Saddams troops.

Keep playing people off against each other like that and sooner or later they'll start to wise up. And it makes it very difficult for you to claim the moral high ground, because the "known to lie" US doesn't have it.

And LoneGunMan? You ROCK. Thank you for being an American voice of reason among too many of your braying compatriots.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Look at Isreal, they have nukes would you want those crazy people near you and not have a way to defend yourself?

LoneGunMan, can you qualify this statement for me? I'm not sure what you mean by 'crazy people'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join