It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

un wont sanction iran over oil prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - The Iranian deputy oil minister said Sunday he did not believe the United Nations would impose sanctions on Iran because that would boost oil prices even higher.

"Any action like that will increase oil prices very high. And I believe that the UN or its bodies will not put any sanctions on oil or the oil industry," M.H. Nejad Hosseinian told reporters after talks in Islamabad with Pakistani officials over a proposed pipeline to transport Iranian gas to Pakistan and India.

story - cnews.canoe.ca...

i think the un did the right thing in this case.

your say on this?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If they sanction them and forbid the sale of oil its going to drive oil prices up by at least 25%. It would probably top 100 bucks a barrel to start and gas at the pumps would hit 5.00 a gal in no time. (Already about 3.50+ in New York City for premium) Its mostly the Commodities market that would drive the prices up even more with the speculators setting the prices.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
What I always wonder is if you Ami's know the prices of gas in Europe

Really you current prices are nothing compare to our prices.

Two advantages, it'll push back the polution, and it finally forces the Ami's to find a technology of less poluting cars

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Why force them ? The technology is already here , we have cars that do 5 litres on 100km or less.Also there are hybrid cars which can use petrol and hydrogen and we have cars that use natural gas as well.

The big problem in america are the cars that do 10 litres on 100km or more, those pickup trucks,hummers etc.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
Why force them ? The technology is already here , we have cars that do 5 litres on 100km or less.Also there are hybrid cars which can use petrol and hydrogen and we have cars that use natural gas as well.

The big problem in america are the cars that do 10 litres on 100km or more, those pickup trucks,hummers etc.

Bear in mind that the hybrid technology is still not fully developed yet, and even though the demand increases, the sales are still far below the sales of normal cars.

Furthermore, although US companies developed the hybrid technology as well as Japanese companies, the Japanese really made the progression, by introducing the first hybrid car, the Toyota Prius.

I don't think the 'main problem' you state is the only problem. In Europe for instance, cars and fuel are both quite expensive. The average citizen therfore demands less consuming cars, ands gives companies such as Ford, Toyota, an impulse to actively work on less consuming cars.

I might be wrong, but in the US, the cars are relatively cheap to purchase, and fuel (until recent times), is quite cheap. Whick automatically results in a lower demand for less consuming cars, and makes it also more attractive to purchase more than one car. I assume (forgive me if I am wrong) that most American (families) have more than one car on the drive.

What about the US government? Have they put extra tax on the cars such as the Hummer? It would increase the demand for hybrid cars, and thus, push back the sales of the big consuming cars.

Projects such as biodiesel are European, just because the biggest demand is here and not (yet) in the US.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Well i can say for certain that here where i live in germany i can easily purchase biodiesel,natural gas and tank hydrogen.In the last year more and more gas stations have added these to their sortiment.It would be nice to see that around the world too, it would certainly help the environment more.

If i had the money right now i would most likely exchange my fiat brava (6 litres on 100km) for a hybrid because prices have exploded here due to the whole middle eastern conflict , china buying loads of oil and the us buying up european oil as well.

As to car preises , i cant say anything about that in the us but our used car market in germany is overrun with cars at the moment and no buyers either .Actually at the moment we have more older cars registered and driving around then ever because people arent willing to buy a new one as our economy isnt very prickling.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus

I assumed you were an Ami.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
yeh just noticed that the first post of mine might have come across as that

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It'd be pretty silly to blame the oil producers for the jump in oil prices, especially iran, which doesn't even sell oil to the US, where there have been jumps in prices.

The price jumps aren't about price gouging either, its about supply and demand. Supply is down. Demand is way up. Therefore, prices are high.

Here's an interesting take on the wider issue:
Gas prices shouldn't surprise us

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
UN denied sanctions on Iran due to oil is meaningless. Thats Irans only card and they have played it. Its a short term "victory". Will they win with that hand? No way.

Iran has been threatening with their oil all along, its natural that the UN takes that into consideration. But all Iran is doing is delaying the diplomatic process to buy time to advance its nuclear abilities. And the World, including the UN, is following right along.

Soon, Iran will be in a position (thats its been developing for years) to act against Israel. And the denial of sanctions by the UN like this one is all part of their plan.

Fortunatly for the World, the US, France, Germany, and some others can see right through this and wont tolerate it. Sanctions are one thing, but thousands cruise missiles, a hundred stealth planes, and thousands of the worlds most advanced fighter/bombers are another...

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Fortunatly for the World, the US, France, Germany, and some others can see right through this and wont tolerate it. Sanctions are one thing, but thousands cruise missiles, a hundred stealth planes, and thousands of the worlds most advanced fighter/bombers are another...

Yep, they're just attepting to delay possible sanctions, however neither air attacks or missle attacks would help to prevent Iran from producing nuclear weapons.

They all store it safely underneath the surface, deep enough to prevent it from getting destroyed by air attacks, and thus, ground forces are required to solve this 'problem'

new topics

top topics

join