It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rock and roll turns 50 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   

It was 50 years ago this week that Elvis Presley's Heartbreak Hotel hit No. 1 on the pop charts. And that means rock 'n' roll is celebrating its 50th anniversary. The roots of rock 'n' roll, in relation to music and terminology, date back many years, even decades, even centuries, prior to 1956. We get it, okay? But it was 50 years ago this week that rock 'n' roll arrived, fully formed.

story - jam.canoe.ca...

its good to know rock and roll is not dead! a world with no rock is a world not worth living in at all!!

your say on this?

[edit on 1-5-2006 by worksoftplayhard]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
A bit of musical racism raises it's ugly face.....Funny how it took Elvis Presley to take a musical genre crafted and developed by black musicians to become accepted. And Elvis, "the King", gets all the credit.

In my opinion, Ike Turner (yes, Ike Turner, abusive husband of Tina Turner) probably deserves the credit of the first real rock and roll song, Rocket 88 (1951). I could be wrong, but then, it's my opinon. I'm certain that there were plenty of examples of songs in the R&R genre that probably preceded Ike's song about his car...his Rocket 88, but my vote goes to Ike.

join