It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran 'attacks Iraq Kurdish area'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Iraq has accused Iranian forces of entering Iraqi territory and shelling Kurdish rebel positions in the north.

Iranian troops bombed border areas near the town of Hajj Umran before crossing into Iraq, the defence ministry in Baghdad said on Sunday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.jpost.com...

Tehran hasn't commented on this. Lets hope this isn't true. Last thing we want is Iran getting involved, we dont want another Iraq-Iran war.

[edit on 30-4-2006 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Gee I wonder how many times Turkey has attacked Kurdish area...

Hmmmmmmmm...

Oh - I forgot; it's the "Let's Nuke Iran Time!"

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Oh - I forgot; it's the "Let's Nuke Iran Time!"

errmmmm.....

i dont recall anything of me stating Iran should be "nuked"

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

You did not, infinite, simply Souljah's way of deflecting the issue here. He is simply using what the Turks continue to do against the Kurds as an excuse to justify what the Iranians are now doing against the Kurds.

Here is the Kurdish response: Kurdish response to Iran

He continues to spout about the U.S. and Coalition crimes against innocents but fails to condemn the Turkish crimes against Kurdish innocents. Likewise, how many Kurdish innocents were killed during this Iranian CROSS-BORDER shelling of Kurds? Hell, in all his talk and condemnation of the U.S. and Coalition in "invading" Iraq, is he going to condemn the actions of the Iranians and the legalities it involves in attacking positions in ANOTHER sovereign nation? I hardly doubt it considering his response already. But hey, seems that the Kurds will get the blame, just wait and see.

Be sure of one thing, Iran does not want no parts of the Kurds--true Persians themselves; very Pro-American to the point of wanting to become the 51st American state and formidable fighters with a long military history-- Saladin was Kurdish. The havoc they could produce in northern Iran could be very problematic, if not devastating...and to think that some here think the insurgents in Iraq are giving the U.S. problems...let the Iranians keep screwing with the Kurds and be assured, we will all see some real Iranian insurgency problems in the future that will dwarf those the U.S. and Coalition are seemingly seeing in Iraq.

seekerof

[edit on 30-4-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
WTF, what right do Iranians have to attack Iraq out of the blue?

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
errmmmm.....

Yeah, but it is the Same Old Story as any other today we are reading - Iran this, Iran that. When Turkey killed a couple of thousand Kurds, did anybody say anything against that? Naaaaah! Why bug a big friend of USA and a member of NATO?

US/NATO Hypocrisy Exposed as Turkey Attacks Kurds
Turkey Uses U.S. Arms to Attack Kurds
Turkey's war on the Kurds
Kurds Flee as Turkey Attacks IRAQ

All Good there - no Problems Mate!

[edit on 30/4/06 by Souljah]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeman

Seemingly, and as reported in some articles on this matter, Iran claims to be responding to previous Kurdish actions in Iran, Freeman.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
~~

www.turkishweekly.net, has been reporting on the troop buildups
around the northern Iraq-Iran-Turkey borders areas for several weeks.

even as Secretary Rice was visiting Turkey and strenghtening US-Turkish economic & diplomatic ties...this massing at the borders was going on.

(....) It is reported that Iranian forces bombed the Hac Umran region in Erbil Province.

Turkish security forces on the other hand continues its operations against the PKK camps.

etc etc.

www.turkishweekly.net...

also a report that Turkish Special Forces entered 8km striking PKK camps in Northern Iraq.
(link on the source page...or use the same address but with this change; id=30831)

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Honestly though, iraq is an unstable anarchic region where the military can't control its own members, let alone what happens within its own borders. Iran is pretty well justified in attacking people it sees as rebels in such a situation.

It's like expecting the US to not follow the vietnamese into cambodia during the vietnam war. Why? Its just a political border that the hostiles haven't respected.

Until Iraq can control its own borders, the turks, syrians, iranians, yehudis, they can all follow hostiles into it at will.

Similarly, what right did the US have to attack Iraq?

It was because the US felt threatened by Iraq, that gives it any right in the world to do what it feels it must. There are kurd rebels/terrorists within iran, and they clearly are going to be operating in coordination with kurds in northern iraq, hell, there are probably bands of troops moving from iran to turkey and back, blowing up god knows who all along the way.

Iran has the right to self defense, ESPECIALLY when the Iraqi military can't control their borders or be reasonably expected to do anything about the rebels.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
These are only still allegations from a american installed iraqi puppet regime, at this point i dont buy it. Iran didnt respond yet too.
The Americans would love to get the kurs on their side as an ally for their Iran conquest and put Iran into a bad daylight because of this incident.

america + convenience= smells like ratsandwich

Sep

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Be sure of one thing, Iran does not want no parts of the Kurds--true Persians themselves; very Pro-American to the point of wanting to become the 51st American state and formidable fighters with a long military history-- Saladin was Kurdish. The havoc they could produce in northern Iran could be very problematic, if not devastating...and to think that some here think the insurgents in Iraq are giving the U.S. problems...let the Iranians keep screwing with the Kurds and be assured, we will all see some real Iranian insurgency problems in the future that will dwarf those the U.S. and Coalition are seemingly seeing in Iraq.

Their uprising just after the revolution, when Iran hardly had a military and was in middle of a war with Iraq was put down. I don't think Iran would have any trouble controlling its Kurdish population many of whom are very much nationalists. However I can't see Turkey surviving an all out Kurdish uprising. 7% of Iran's population is Kurdish however 20% of the population of Turkey are Kurds and 20% of Iraq's population are Kurds. If there is a Kurdish uprising, American allies are the ones that are going to be hurt the most.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SepHowever I can't see Turkey surviving an all out Kurdish uprising. 7% of Iran's population is Kurdish however 20% of the population of Turkey are Kurds and 20% of Iraq's population are Kurds. If there is a Kurdish uprising, American allies are the ones that are going to be hurt the most.

I've read a few reports stating that Kurds in Turkey, when faced with the chance of living in a new Kurdistan, would rather live in Turkey. As well, many Kurds in northern Iraq don't even like the PKK as they usually bring the Turkish hammer to their communities. Turkey needs to a better job of integrating the Kurdish culture into their national identity, but as it is, I doubt you will see any kind of major uprising of Kurds in Turkey. Speculating of such would be like surmising if Latinos or Blacks would revolt in America.

Back to the subject of Iran though...Considering that Turkey has also attacked the Iraqi Kurdish area, I don't see how this issue would be different. If the Kurdish in northern Iraq want sovereignty, then they will have to deal with such conflcit from not only Turkey and Iran, but potentially Syria as well. Otherwise, as others have stated, the Iraqi army needs to become involved in preventing rebels from other countries from basing themselves in Iraq.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I've read a few reports stating that Kurds in Turkey, when faced with the chance of living in a new Kurdistan, would rather live in Turkey.

Rather silly, considering that they'd be darned well rich with those kirkukian oil fields.
Then again, its probably in part a result of just being patriotic turkish citizens eh?

the Kurdish in northern Iraq want sovereignty, then they will have to deal with such conflcit from not only Turkey and Iran, but potentially Syria as well.

And I very much doubt that the peshmerga can do anything to save themselves in such a situation. The Kurdish people might have an historical reputation as fighters, but, clearly, they're no Saladdin's. They don't, for example, send peshmerga into the swamps southern iraq, or have them patrol the streets of baghdad, or ensiege al-Falluja.

They also have no airforce, armour, artillery, rocketry, or even a consistent logistical ability, whereas the turks, hell, they're run by a military junta, the syrians have chemical weapons, and the iranians will probably have nukes in the time it takes a peshmerga milita to rear its horses.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
As it appears that the Kurds are really the only group in Iraq that aren't openly hostile to the US, I would expect that the US would be more inclined to come to their defense.

This just cements my thoughts on what to do in Iraq.

Divide the country into 3 new countries, Sunnis, SHia, and Kurds. I know Turkey wouldn't like it, but given how helpful they were in the US going into Iraq 3 years ago I just have to say to bad for them.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeman

There are claims of a huge oil discovery in the Kurdish area of Iraq. And I mean HUGE (if it is true).

Christian IX in www.abovetopsecret.com...

at least 45 billion barrels of oil have been discovered in kurdish Iraq over the past few weeks

Rigzone: DNO Reports Good News from Northern Iraq

April 10 2006

DNO is encouraged by the early results of its exploration activities in the Tawke area of Iraqi Kurdistan.

[edit on 2006/4/30 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hellmutt, your line of thinking is that the reason the Iranians are shelling the Kurds and 'invading' Iraq is because of the "huge" amounts of oil discovered?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hellmutt, your line of thinking is that the reason the Iranians are shelling the Kurds in Iraq is because of the "huge" amounts of oil discovered?

Am I way off? I just thought it was strange that these two events coincide, that's all. The recent enormous oil discovery and the recent attack by Iran...

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by scarecrow19d
I know Turkey wouldn't like it, but given how helpful they were in the US going into Iraq 3 years ago I just have to say to bad for them.

True, but on the other hand, the Turks took great risks in having US rockets pointed at the Soviet Union in their country. They were something of an important ally in the cold war. That should count for something.

Also, by keeping iraq as a federation, everyone's interests are alligned, more or less. If it fragments, then the different sections have, literally, no interest in being at peace with one another. Selfish-interest can make people that hate each other work together effectively.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Am I way off? I just thought it was strange that these two events coincide, that's all. The recent enormous oil discovery and the recent attack by Iran...

I am not sure if your way off or not, but I thought Iran had enough oil? A such, why would they need to gain oil in northern Iraq, knowing that Iraq, the Kurds, the US, and Coalition there will not allows such an Iranian move? Just does not add up to me, hence me asking you for clarification.

seekerof

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I don't think they attacked to gain the oil. But to disrupt and destroy...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join