It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coyote Invasion?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I live in the southern Appalachian Mountains of Western North Carolina, in a rural but quickly developing area outside of Asheville. We own a small piece of land, just big enough for a decent vegetable garden. Well to make a long story short, we have been composting our food scraps for a couple years now and the other day I stepped outside to get some air and I noticed something that looked at first to be a small deer just in the tree line beside our compost pile. It moved out of the tree line and I saw that it looked more like a dog, and when it turned to have a look at me, I thought it was a wolf. Well I emailed the wildlife folks to let em know that there was a wolf running around here and they wrote back the following..

This was likely a coyote. Coyotes can now be found in all 100 NC
counties.
The Wildlife Resources Commission has not released coyotes at any time.
They
have migrated to North Carolina from surrounding states and have also
been
released illegally. They are opportunistic feeders and small animals or
chickens can be prime targets as well as any pet food left outside.

There is a year-round hunting season for coyotes (on private land) with
no
bag limits (electronic calls can be used).

The WRC can issue a depredation permit to trap coyotes that are causing
property damage (no charge). Call our Wildlife Management division at
707-0060 for a permit or if you have further questions.

Thank you for your report.

So I wowed over it for a day or two, then the next thing I know, the local news does a report on a similar sighting in the Hendersonville Area, about 30 miles SE. That got my curiosity aroused and I looked into it...
Wily coyotes a serious matter for some N.C. cattle farmers
Coyotes' N.C. arrival has farmers howling
Hawkins: Coyotes ruining turkey season?
Spreading coyotes' destruction angers cattle farmers
Coyotes anger cattle farmers
Coyotes anger cattle farmers
Harnett Farmers Go On Defense Against Predatory Coyotes
Coyotes are not a native species, yet pretty much over night, they have appeared in alarming numbers in ALL 100 Counties of North Carolina to the extent of being a predation nuisance. none of the offical channels seem to be able to explain the population explosion, or their sudden appearance in an area they have never been known to inhabit, suggesting that they had migrated, or had been illegally introduced by nut jobs. There's a big rumor around here that they have been intentionally released by wildlife management to control an exploding deer population, but apparently Coyotes are becomming a real serious problem here just out of the blue. Anybody else heard anything about this?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
They are not the only wild animal migrating east. The mountain lion is migrating east and north, and bears are on the move as well. The only reason I know this is because we went camping over easter weekend, and had a cougar (mountain lion) incident. It was dark, so we never got a good look at it. We heard it moving and screaming. It was obviously something quite large. We saw the paw prints the next morning. Cat prints that are 3" wide are nothing but cougar prints. So I called the conservation dept. and spoke to the man in charge of that area. He said that the mountain lions have become over populated in Colorado and Texas and are moving east and north. I was a little disturbed about how he twisted the facts. Meaning, he said that the only cougars in the area were males, and they have only had 10 sightings including only 1 that had been hit by a car in the past 10 years. That was total B.S. It has been in the news quite a bit, there was one a county away that made the news because they had to lock down a few elementary schools. It was out in broad daylight comming too close to the recess area. There was also another one that was killed on a highway not 30min from my home last month. Then if that wasnt enough, my uncle - north of the river - has at least one up by him that has been having a hay day with the local cattle. After talking to this man a bit more, and bringing up these incidents, he changed his numbers ???? Then he said that I might have heard a bear, because they are moving up from southern Missouri. hehe I asked him if he was trying to make me feel better. The lake where we go camping has never had incidents with cougars or bears before. Dont really know what i think of that. Not too sure they know why all these animals are migrating east. Anyway, maybe that is why the coyotes are moving your direction. I am sure nothing would get them moving faster than having preditors kicking them out of their territorys. We used to have a lot of coyotes, and deer. We were surprised (until we saw the prints and heard the screams) that the whole time we were camping we never saw a single deer or heard even one coyote.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Coyotes have been around the Chicago area for years.

They tend to migrate along railway right of ways.

They have been known to attack and kill dogs and cats.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I live in Missouri and although I haven't really seen the coyotes I hear them everynight and I'm not sure if it's the same pack or different packs but there's alot of them by the sound of it..They stay off my property thanks to the dogs.Been nights we thought the neighbors down the road was having a girls gone wild party because it sounded like a bunch of women screaming until I went outside and heard what it really was.

Anyway they seem to have increased in numbers in the last year.Last year this time it was a small pack compared to the sounds of them this year.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Its important to keep an eye on your cats and small dogs in coyote territory. I had a cat get eaten by coyotes once. This cat was an indoor cat though, and did not know any better. Outdoor cats seem to fare much, much better. My current outdoor cat knows all about predators and keeps well hidden. The only thing he has suffered has been a nasty cactus thorn in his shoulder which became infected.

Other than that, enjoy having them as neighbors!!!! they are really quite small.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The more we build, the less space animals have to roam. Remember, where subdivisions are now florishing, used to been wilderness. Animals have no choice but to readapt to their shrinking enviroment.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What really bugs me about this issue is that whenever a wild animal comes into contact with humans, attacks, or is menacing, it is tracked down and killed. No matter if it is coming into a town, or if the attack takes place in the wilderness, i.e. campers. What right do people have to kill an animal that is doing what animals do? You get too close to a bear with it's cub, it's going to attack. Then we track the bear and kill it. Doesn't make any sence to me!!! ARG.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
What really bugs me about this issue is that whenever a wild animal comes into contact with humans, attacks, or is menacing, it is tracked down and killed. No matter if it is coming into a town, or if the attack takes place in the wilderness, i.e. campers. What right do people have to kill an animal that is doing what animals do? You get too close to a bear with it's cub, it's going to attack. Then we track the bear and kill it. Doesn't make any sence to me!!! ARG.

I don't think coyotes attack people. Maybe a freak accident, but have never heard of it............too lazy to look up link.

[edit on 30-4-2006 by desert rat]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert rat

Originally posted by sensfan

I don't think coyotes attack people. Maybe a freak accident, but have never heard of it............too lazy to look up link.

[edit on 30-4-2006 by desert rat]

Under most circumstances, they will run from a human. Like most wild animals, its only if you corner them or something that it might attack. I live in an area where there are hundreds, maybe thousands of them, and I've never heard of one attacking a person. They can be, however, a threat to livestock and pets that are about the same size (or a little bigger) than they are.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by vor78]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Coyotes are not a native species, yet

? They're not? They exist in New York. The funny thing is, they'll cross bridges to get into manhattan, but won't cross over to long island, for some reason.

I suspect itse because long island is not part of their original range, but manhattan island is.

Perhaps NC is part of their older range? Have they not been there in your lifetime? Sounds interseting. I used to know somenone out in Ashville, they have a big party out there every year right?

Coyotes don't just live in the west though. They're pretty wiley.

Bears also have a much wider range than people realize, as do cougars.

Also, its possible that many 'coyote' sightings are actually coydogs, which should also be spreading, if the coyote population is spreading.

hear them everynight and I'm not sure if it's the same pack or different packs but there's alot of them by the sound

How do you know they are coyotes from the sound? Can you record some of the sound with a computer mic, if you have one? (some models for a while came with them for some reason)

valkeryie
The more we build, the less space animals have to roam

The opposite is what is happening here. They are invading human-space.

There are whole sets of animals that are, because they are successful generalists, are integrating into human/urban settings. Like nature allways has, they are adapting to changes in the environment and growing in numbers.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   

How do you know they are coyotes from the sound?

I've lived around them all my life...Just can't tell if it's more than one pack or not

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I don't think the Wildlife service would introduce the 'yotes for deer control. Mountian lions yes.

Coyotes will take your cats,small dogs right off your porch. I always worry about small children, haven't heard of any child taken by a coyote but I have seen two 'yotes taking down a 100 lb calf.

Roper

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I had another one show up today, I'm thinking of maybe trying to get rid of this sucker before he eats one of my cats, but I wanted to confirm that it was indeed a Coyote so I managed to snap a couple shots of him before he spotted me and ran off into the woods. What do you guys think?

It looks like a Coyote to me but I have never seen one before and I don't want to mistake it for a Dog or a Wolf.

Edit: Isn't much to scale in the Photos, I'd guesstimate he was a little over knee high, roughly about the size of a adolescent to young adult German Shepard.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by twitchy]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
These stupid things were almost gone from CT then we couldnt shoot them anymore because some people started whining. Now, thanks to overzealous enviro-nuts who cant mind their own business, we dont have any limit to the number of coyotes we can bag each season and the season has been extended. These things are eating everyones pets. My mother lost a cat to one. Theyre running with kids in playgrounds, climbing into homes, chasing people.

We had one at a nearby school chasing kids for their lunches. Turns out some misinformed doo-good yuppie had been feeding them in his yard a block away.

Why the hell do people still think its a good idea to feed wild animals?
Then you get all upset when they eat your fluffy lap dog or come down with rabies and maul your kids.

Long story short, because CT is being overrun by yuppie New Yorkers who come looking for that suburban "Who's the Boss Lifestyle" people like me get to overcharge like crazy for pest removal to do something that the men around here used to do by default without filling out countless forms and paying for permits and risking lawsuits.

Maybe someday Ill tell you guys about all the deer that have been starving to death because these same yuppies feel obligated to protest and petition to "protect" them. Well, they got what they wanted. Fewer bags allowed, season limits and piles of starved deer.

Ugh... Sometimes I just want to smack people.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
What do you guys think?

Yes, that's definitely a coyote. And activity is apparently way up. A couple of links-

www.denverpost.com... (attacking a kid in NJ)

video.nbc5.com... (Captured in Detroit)

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Oh yeah, that's a coyote all right...a right handsome one, too. Well fed...

There are few critters on Earth as adaptable as Mr. Coyote. There's a reason Coyote is portrayed as a trickster god in many Native American tales and religions. He's curious, intelligent, and cunning...attributes that have enabled him to survive where many larger, more powerful creatures have failed. They are truely an amazing animal.

[edit on 18-4-2007 by seagull]

Tea

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Man is cancer, eating away at the land. If man not like coyote, man should stop eating away at land. Man ask for what man getting.

No tears here. Animal deserve planet. Man deserve go to hell.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Had another one come through a couple days ago, they really are out of control aren't they? What's more, I live in a pretty well developed area, just about 15 minutes from City Limits.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The one's here in Texas are brown/tan color. Rule of thumb is if they are out in the day, they are sick are rabid. The city version, who knows, may be they are adapting to a city schedule or the only prey is a kid's lunch sack.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Wiley C. Coyote, super genius. They are a threat here to dog walkers in the Cuyahoga River Valley.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join