It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's gift to the Taliban in 2001

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This was discussed here a couple of years ago
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The original source was at the Los Angeles Times, but it's still up at Robert Scheer's web site
www.robertscheer.com...

In essence, in April 2001 the Bush administration gave a check for $43 million to the Taliban, apparently as a "thank you" for allegedly slowing down their opium traffic. I remember when it happened because, at the time, I was following the wacky adventures of the Taliban in the news, amazed and revolted by each news story detailing their ruthless barbarism and sheer bloody-mindedness. When I read about this little gift, I was gobsmacked by the sickening lunacy of our Duly Appointed Authorities.

All that being water under the bridge at this point, I still wonder from time to time why this little piece of Bush history goes seemingly forgotten by the Fourth Estate. It was indefensible at the time, even as realpolitik. As it was only five months before the terrorist attacks of 9/11, it's even more unforgivable now, in our permanently at-war world. Yet I don't recall any of the Sabbath Gasbags bringing it up on their morning shows; I don't recall John Kerry mentioning it in his campaign for the presidency; I don't recall any liberal or Democrat or otherwise anti-Bush pundits throwing it in the face of their opposing counterparts. If Al Gore were president at the time, I could not imagine the Republicans letting this go for even one day. (I prefer to think that this wouldn't have happened under a Gore presidency anyhow.)

I don't know if this constitutes a political conspiracy, unless it's a conspiracy of idiots. It does seem to be as a rather bizarre case of national amnesia, and I just cannot figure why.
For anybody involved in an argument with a Bush supporter, this is a nice piece of low-hanging fruit.

Do any of y'all have any insights as to the vast silence on this subject? Or am I just overreacting on a continuing basis?

Thanks,
Baack

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The Taliban were excellent in regards to controlling the Opium production pre-9/11. Pretty much they would kill any of the farmers or torch their lands. That was probably one of their only decent deeds they performed while in power. Right now the Opium production is back up and running since the taliban have been removed. Its a shame because it kills a lot of young americans and enslaves many people. 43 million was probably a bargain price to pay for keeping that drug out of commission. If we had to send troops to monitor and destroy crops as we have in South America the price would have probably been a lot more than that. I think the 43 mil was probably a bribe for other things like gas pipelines tho because the destruction of the opium they were doing for their strict beliefs anyway and not for the USA. When Bush was Gov in Texas they were treated like royalty when they came to visit for gas pipeline talks.

Pie

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The Taliban destroyed most of their opium crop, the United States presented them with a lump sum gift, the United States invaded Afghanistan, and opium crops soared to higher than they were before the Taliban destroyed their crops. Does that make sense? Maybe it does:

Prior to the WTC attacks, credible
sources, including the U.S. government, the IMF, Le Monde and the U.S.
Senate placed the amount of drug cash flowing into Wall Street and U.S.
banks at around $250-$300 billion a year

see: www.patriotsaints.com...

When the Taliban destroyed most of their opium crops it was considered their biggest attack on the United States economy. Supposedly MJ-12 is also funded by the opium trade, although I can't remember where I found that reference.

[edit on 15/11/06 by an3rkist]

join