It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Find The Facts About Immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have opinions about illegal immigration based on things I have heard but do not know if they are true. I also know for a fact how LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrents to this country are rapping it unchecked. So I want to know the facts in order to make a better argument either for or against illegal immigrants being given amnesty.

1. Do LEGAL or ILLEGAL immigrants pay taxes, local, state federal, medicare, social security, or do they get a freebie for a certain amount of time.?

2. Are illegal immigrants eligible for social programs such as food stamps, welfare, social security, low income housing.... etc

3. Are children of illegal immigrants who are born in this country automatically american citizens?

4. If an illigal immigrant commits a crime are they prosecuted and imprisoned in this country, prosecuted and deported ?

5. What are the requirements for becoming an American citizen?

6. What are the requirements to get a visa or permission to work or live in America? or in other words is it too hard for immigrants to get into this country legally?

7. Are there any other questions/answered that will help me understand this issue?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chevy
1. Do LEGAL or ILLEGAL immigrants pay taxes, local, state federal, medicare, social security, or do they get a freebie for a certain amount of time.?

Some do, some don't.

The IRS allows them to file using a special number. But some immigration critics don't like the idea of a federal agency accommodating illegal immigrants.
Source

2. Are illegal immigrants eligible for social programs such as food stamps, welfare, social security, low income housing.... etc

Yes.

Among the largest costs are Medicaid ($2.5 billion); treatment for the uninsured ($2.2 billion); food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches ($1.9 billion); the federal prison and court systems ($1.6 billion); and federal aid to schools ($1.4 billion).
Center for Immigration Studies

3. Are children of illegal immigrants who are born in this country automatically american citizens?

Yes.

Many of the costs associated with illegals are due to their American-born children, who are awarded U.S. citizenship at birth.
Center for Immigration Studies

4. If an illigal immigrant commits a crime are they prosecuted and imprisoned in this country, prosecuted and deported ?

Answered above.

5. What are the requirements for becoming an American citizen?

US Citizenship Requirements

6. What are the requirements to get a visa or permission to work or live in America? or in other words is it too hard for immigrants to get into this country legally?

As far as I know you just have to apply and wait. Here's some more information on it.
Source

Read the Center for Immigration Studies link. It answers a lot of questions.

join