It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What of Jon Stewart? Political figure or funnyman?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Is he just a satirist who points out the inadequecies and hypocrisies of the U.S. Government or is he just an opinonated bloke who wants to push his own political views onto other folk?
I think that he's quite funny, and rightly points out what's wrong in politics? Perhaps, he has an ego the size of Texas, but he makes a very funny show.
I'll provide a link so you can watch some of his stuff.

www.spikedhumor.com...

He's very funny, and he pwns the Crossfire folk very well in this show.

www.spikedhumor.com...

He also shows up folk who are against the gays.
www.spikedhumor.com...

So is he a poltical figure because he makes known his poltical stance and makes it clear on his show?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
He's a comedian first and foremost. I don't think I'd classify him as a political figure.

But he is much funnier and more entertaining than other comedians that try to talk politics. Bill Maher, for example, is way too biased to be funny, imo.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Definitely a comedian first, but a master of satire.

I loved his interview on CNN and he made the other two commentators look like fools using their own words and actions against them.

My opinion is that he has an excellent show.

JDub

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTileSpook
I loved his interview on CNN and he made the other two commentators look like fools using their own words and actions against them.

I remember that interview. If I recall, he made the commentators look like fools. He's very quick on his feet.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Was it on that show, Crossfire? There's a link up at my first post. It's hilarious.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Remember when Jon Stewart used to be funny?

Me neither.

Political satire is funny, but when there is an obvious bias it is not.

That is why I stopped watching Saturday Night Live. I watched starting when Carter was President. Reagan was depicted in a funny way. George HW Bush was done perfectly, Clinton was awesome, they could make fun of him in an endearing way. But the George W. skits are done out of pure hate. So I stopped watching about a year ago and I don't even miss it.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
John Stewart SNL? I thought this was about the Daily Show and whether or not he's more comedian or politition? I agree SNL has gone way down hill but the daily show is fantastic and gives humor to politics when there is so little of that. He make fun of what others wouldn't dare and shows people that polititions are people who make mistake and can be wrong.
I go with smart comedian using his gift in the right was way!

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Jon stewart is a comedian who has a a fake news show. I love stewart and his show,but in a way he is a political figure. You can only understand the jokes if you watched the news beforehand. He just points out the obvious and turns it into a joke when in reality it't the truth. I love it.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The man is hilarious, I love his show. I wouldn't consider him a political figure though, no.

He and Stephen Colbert are a Godsend in these times!

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Hey Carseller, WHat the hell are you talking about? Jon Stewart is not on SNL, duh!

If you're going to hate and call for the death of people because they don't kiss Bush's behind at least know who you are hating, you're the kind of person who beats Hindu's to death thinking they are Arabs.

One is Bibbidy Bobbidy, the other is Achma Allah.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Remember when Jon Stewart used to be funny?

Me neither.

Political satire is funny, but when there is an obvious bias it is not.

So I guess you missed Stewarts all Democrat version of "Fat Cat or Crumbum" this week? Or is filleting of Hillary about her 2 speeches where she stated exactly opposite opinions of Youth in America. Or his interview with Howard Dean where he basically laughed in the man's face about the Democrats plan to take back the Senate.

Have you watched The Daily Show or are you inexplicably basing your opinion of Jon Stewart on your experience of SNL (a show he's never had anything to do with)? You know Jon Stewart isn't Al Franken, right?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Stewart is a comedian, he makes his own jokes, and reads the jokes that the Daily Show's comedy writting staff writes for him.

He's no more a political figure than he is a newscaster.

I love the Daily Show, its wonderful. But its not the news, and its not going to serve as some 'political platform'.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I love the Daily Show, its wonderful. But its not the news, and its not going to serve as some 'political platform'.

I agree that it's not the news. Thank God. The "real" news is a wasteland nowadays. However, I'd argue that anything can be a political platform. If Bob Dylan's music can be a political platform, I see no reason why comedy can't as well. In fact, I'd argue that Stewart effects the political thought of those under 25 more than any other "newcaster" on Television, and certainly more than any elected official, who all the youngsters have been taught to totally distrust.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Effects, sure. But he's not a viable candidate for anything. And, again, lets keep in mind, Jon Stewart isn't lead comedy writer for the daily show, he's not dissimilar to a news anchor on a news show, someone else does the investigating and writting, he's a reader.

Of course, I am not saying he does nothing other than read.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Jon Stewart is certainly, first and foremost, a comedian. However, it is unfair to call him that, at least not now, at this point in his career. Instead, because of the brand or type of humor that he uses, I would call Jon Stewart a political satirist.

As far as Jon Stewart being regarded as a politician, I can only respond by saying that Jon is, as many of us, interested in politics. Again, like many of us, Jon Stewart does have his own opinions. Dare I say that, based upon our own opinions, each and every one of us has his own view about how things are going in the world today and, certainly, we all do have our own views about what we can or should be doing. If we had the forum that Jon Stewart has, we'd also be regarded as "politicians". Of course, I know that this sort of talk would definitely go to my head and I'd succumb to my megalomanical fantasies. I could suppose that this could also happen to Jon Stewart. After all, I must assume that he is only human. If Jon Stewart is 'playing politics', it's only in the political arena of television and the nielson ratings where the performers 'suck up' to the viewing audience who, in turn, 'vote' with their remotes. In away, it doesn't really differ all that much from 'real' politics.

All things considered, Jon Stewart is only whatever other happen to call him. Some might call him a comedian, humorist or funnyman whereas others might call him a Democrat, a Liberal or a visionary for our times. Still others could call him anything from being trivial and inconsequential to terms that would get me banned from this site. What Jon does for me is simple. He makes me laugh. I don't always agree with his political slant but I snicker nonetheless.

Jon Stewart is good at what he does. He makes people laugh and he is caustic enough -- just enough -- to be noted by the news media and the powers that be. But Jon Stewart is not the first to be a political satirist or humorist. This honor goes to some neanderthal who was upset against his chief hording all of the women and for having the best 'pointy stick'. Throughout history, people have always had something to say about the King, the Tsar, the Chief, the President, the Prime Minister or the Mayor. In recent times, one political satirist seems to stand out. Before Jon Stewart, there was Will Rogers. Like Jon, Will Rogers was an entertainer who, at times, was able to express his own displeasure with the events of the day.

When Will Rogers said, "There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you." Will expressed the secret to what Jon Stewart does. Regardless the party in power, the politics of the day was something could always be ridiculed and made light.

top topics

join