It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So visual stealth is advancing but what about Sonic stealth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Strange thought I know but clearly the militarys emphasis has primarily been signal return stealth and the ultra secret visual/reflective stealth. But is there any work on the obvious downfall of hearing the loudness of the engines? All our stealth air craft and for that matter all aircraft can be heard at a distance and is detectable. I beleive this subject and the obvious cooling of exaust to prevent IR is greatly overlooked. Any thoughts,sites,?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
well thats not entirely true all of our AC have minimal IR signatures as well only scanning the back will do. Not to mention sound waves move at mach 1 F/A 22 supercruises at mach 1.5-1.7 during missions hearing it will be too late. Not to mention Ir missiles have shorter ranges.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Obviously you've never been under a B-2 flyby. You see it LONG before you hear it, and when you hear it you BARELY hear it. And that's at less than 500 feet. It's quite easy to make them ultra quiet, just by putting baffles in the exhaust, and lengthening the exhaust some.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by VType
... I beleive this subject and the obvious cooling of exaust to prevent IR is greatly overlooked. Any thoughts,sites,?

I dont think that it is overlooked. But frankly, it isnt possible to cool them much because that same exhaust is exactly what keeps the aircraft flying.

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Obviously you've never been under a B-2 flyby. You see it LONG before you hear it, and when you hear it you BARELY hear it. And that's at less than 500 feet. It's quite easy to make them ultra quiet, just by putting baffles in the exhaust, and lengthening the exhaust some.

Not to forget putting the engines on top of the plane, as was done with the F-117 and B-2. The body of the plane serves as an integral sound deflector, away from the ground.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

And that must have been an airshow.
I doubt you're going to see the Spirit from far away in a dark moonless night. And if it flyes at a greater outitude the daylight is lighting up its underside and it's colour melts with that of the blue sky above.

top topics

join