It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Congress To Decriminalize Pot, Cocaine, and Heroin!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Possessing marijuana, coc aine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.

The measure given final passage by senators late on Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.

"This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said on Friday. The measure was approved earlier by the lower house.

Under the legislation, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of coc aine.

Source

This translates to approximately $20 worth of Pot or Cocaine stateside (Tampa,FL prices). Never dealed with the 'ron, so I cannot give you an approximate price on the heroin.

I don't believe it would be wise to legalize heroin IMO but I have never been subject to its side effects (never tried it) so I am not going to judge. This does not mean they will legalize production of it. As far as I can tell it just lets people smokeout a couple of blunts, snort about three lines, and shootup without worrying of going to jail anymore. I guess if they were already doing it anyways, it may help relieve congestion in the jails.

In a way it sorta makes sense. Although it does not state they will allow for trafficking, I believe this will put some careless thinking into the small time dealers. Nickel and dime dealers can be replaced on the hour so it makes no sense to go after them. But the threat of their freedom gone due to their recklessness will help them net in the big fish.

The suppliers are alot harder to replace since you have to build trust with some heavy dealers in order to get that far. the farther up you go the harder it is to replace. Those who do step in after the Feds nab them will just live in constant war with others trying to takeover since the stability of the operation has gone to #. This will increase the pirce of the product due to the difficulty of getting fair deals since the stable operation has been destroyed.

Increased prices may put off some users who focus more on money than recreational drug use. Hopefully after a year the government has at least been keeping their statistics in line so we can see the effects of this law.

Mod Edit: title

[edit on 28-4-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It's about freakin' time too!

"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, that's what it is. OK? Keep that in mind at all times. Thank you." -Bill Hicks

Whatever you think about drugs, it doesn't matter. If adults are capable of ingesting a drug, they are responsible for whatever consequences come about from that drug use. We do not need the government telling us what we can or can not put into our bodies. We do not need the government telling us we can't do this or that, so long as we do not hurt anyone else.

If I do drugs, it's none of your business. If I do drugs and kill someone, it's your business. If I kill someone it's your business. But the drugs have nothing to do with it.

This is MY life. I have no right to take another life, but you have no right to tell me what I do with mine.

As to my thoughts on this being the Mexican government, well, I just may have to move down South... There's plenty of vacancies from what I gather.

PS- I don't do drugs.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
my comments here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by please_takemyrights
If I do drugs, it's none of your business. If I do drugs and kill someone, it's your business. If I kill someone it's your business. But the drugs have nothing to do with it.

Excuse me, but what if you kill someone while on drugs? Whose business is that?

Also, what if you drive intoxicated and kill someone? A few thousand Americans die this way each year. Should the govt cancel all drunk-driving laws?

I do not support the zero tolerance stuff, but let there be logic. In particular, many (not all) hard drugs cause addiction. Sometimes beyond cure. So the person, willingly or not, can maim themselves for life. So I'm not sure you are 100% correct.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Just as with alcohol, any responsible user would not drive intoxicated.

But I also think it's a far cry between legalizing a little pot and legalizing pot plus harder drugs.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
We'll take all the Mexicans willing to work and become US citizens, but they have to take all our drud addicted. I say Fair Trade!

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
CSRules, I did not approve of your deportation of all illegals on another thread, but what you just said did make alot of sense to me. I agree. Lets deport our junkies and stop all the burglaries they do for their habits.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
CSRules, I did not approve of your deportation of all illegals on another thread, but what you just said did make alot of sense to me. I agree. Lets deport our junkies and stop all the burglaries they do for their habits.

That leave exactly how many people? There are millions of Americans who are addicted to a myriad of different types of drugs... some of them are illegal, some aren't. Some are addicted enough and desperate enough to do whatever it takes to feed their habit.

My question is, is deporting these people the right thing to do? Wouldn't helping them be the right thing to do? No matter how you feel about drugs, there are people out there who need help and if your answer is to ship them all off... that is disgraceful. Why don't we just get rid of all our retarded people, too? How about all our handicapped... should we push them all of a cliff so we don't have to deal with them either?

Unbelievable.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Excuse me, but what if you kill someone while on drugs?
Sorry but this is nearly impossible. The drug that would be the most pro-easy-kill attitude is alcohol, not the drugs. If you kill because you're on drugs, you will not kill because of drugs but because you are mad.

And I'm from the decriminilization of the pot, not the legalisation, as in Amsterdam.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Wondering if Mexico will become a haven for pot heads now? Let's see demand will go up on the street thus making it more lucrative for dealers. There will be more dealers and more incentive to deal. Not sure this plan by the cops down there makes any sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Now when we go to war with them they will all be stoned. This is the craziest thing I have ever herd and will lead to so many problems for us in the states it will be crazy.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Lets deport our junkies and stop all the burglaries they do for their habits.

If we deport all the junkies that are now hooked on the illegal drugs that the illgals bring over here from Mexico, then they'd have to find others that they can get hooked to their product which means it'll be more of our children depending on these scum-sucking bastards!

I've got a better idea.

Jail all drug users along with the illegal immigrants and they can kill each other.

Sounds good to me!

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I wish Mexico the best of luck and await the results of this social experiment with bated breath. Who knows it might work out for them crazier things have happened.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
I wish Mexico the best of luck and await the results of this social experiment with bated breath. Who knows it might work out for them crazier things have happened.

well why not take a look at holland? they decriminilized drugs years back and have faired well since then

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This is the final nail in the coffin for the 50-70 years of prohibition, first Canada and now Mexico, not to forget dozens of states that recognize the medical potential of a non-addictive drug that makes the pharmaceutical companies ruffle and fluff money into the hands of the politicians so your only option if the government even allows you are addictive painkillers that screw you up as much as your illness. Common sense is that drugs that create less side effects and give similar pain killing effects are better for everyone. Only a minority is best served by corporate profits via heavy duty pain killers, ask Rush Limbaugh, but he was always for locking people up and throwing away the key, funny how much he needed those painkillers so bad though, imagine if he smoked dope instead, he might actually grow new neuronal connections, oh well. The rest of the world will legalize while only America makes them against the law? Sounds like Russia or China to me to be so against legalizing drugs.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

If we deport all the junkies that are now hooked on the illegal drugs that the illgals bring over here from Mexico, then they'd have to find others that they can get hooked to their product which means it'll be more of our children depending on these scum-sucking bastards!

I've got a better idea.

Jail all drug users along with the illegal immigrants and they can kill each other.

Sounds good to me!

Hey why stop there? Lets just put all the drug users to death. Sounds so much better. Wait lets take it even farther. Lets put even the legal drug users to death as well. Then you won't have to worry about the children ever learning what the word drugs mean. That is if there is anyone left to raise them. That sound good to you?

I certainly hope you don't call yourself a christian. Jesus did not teach such intolerance.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If Mexico does legalize "soft drugs" it will have a new billion dollar industry overnight to tax. What the long term effects are is anyones guess, in the mean time, party! jk.

And personally I think this could be a ploy by the Mexican Government to help the illegal immigrant debate. This makes a good portion of the American People sympathetic to Mexico (Especially in California) so maybe this will sway their votes later on.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Low Orbit]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

I've got a better idea.

Sounds good to me!

You don't actually believe that these immigrants who don't even have 2 sticks to rub together are able to afford drugs to distribute them in the states do you? I mean there are mules but the big drug traffickers are just trucking bales or flying tons of the stuff across the border (Like Tom Delay's Pal) not using an occasional mule. Thats small potatos.
As far as true junkies go, well they are usually only desperate only because the drug, since its illegal, is very expensive. In actuality if it were legal to buy there would probably be less crime because #1 they wouldn't have to pay 60.00 a day for their drug habit #2 it wouldn't be a legitimate source of income for low-lifes that benefit from breaking the law by selling the stuff . Remember..drug dealers especially addictive drugs like Heroine rely on getting customers and hooking them so they come back. If its no longer illegal it won't have the appeal or high dollar value, so you won't have predatory drug dealers trying to push their product on people. #3 Junkies won't be breaking into your house if their habit is $15 a day rather then $60 a day. There is only so much they can do in a day and any more then that would kill them.

Also, I could have sworn you posted a message asking about spirituality and the importance of God. Is that the way a person of God would speak of one of Gods creations and fellow man? Offering a solution of death to one that has lost him/herself to drugs? Is that a Dove of Peace as your avatar? Or one being evicted from its nest?

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
What bubble are you people living in? When you legalize drugs like Heroin,Cocain and Ecstacy people will sell their own children to get them and that is a fact. They have now just given the drug cartells that control Mexico more money to spread their disease around the world.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
the above post should be totally ingnored... your a moron. People dont all of a sudden "sell their kids to get it" if it becomes legalized. if they are that desparate for the stuff they are going to be doing whatever it take regardless of if its legal or not. you say its proven eh? then how about you prove that stupid comment to me?...way to go factfinder, good facts....

oh and just so you know:
fact as defined be dictionary.com

1. Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact; a blur of fact and fancy.
1. Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed: Genetic engineering is now a fact. That Chaucer was a real person is an undisputed fact.
2. A real occurrence; an event: had to prove the facts of the case.
3. Something believed to be true or real: a document laced with mistaken facts.
3. A thing that has been done, especially a crime: an accessory before the fact.
4. Law. The aspect of a case at law comprising events determined by evidence: The jury made a finding of fact.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join