It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recipe for authentic Spanish Paella

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
La Espanola Meats House Paella

1/4 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb medium shrimp
1/4 lb cleaned calamari cut in rings
1/4 lb cantimpalitos cocktail sausages see * Note
1/4 lb bilbao sausage see * Note
1/4 lb butifarrita sausage see * Note
6 sm chicken drumsticks - (3/4 lb)
1/4 lb pork loin diced
1 x tomato chopped
2 x green onions diced
2 x garlic cloves finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp pimenton see * Note
1 1/2 tsp saffron
2 cup Spanish paella rice see * Note
4 cup water
1 tbl salt
12 x mussels scrubbed, debearded
12 x clams scrubbed
1 cup cut green beans in 1" pieces
(fresh or thawed frozen)
1/2 cup frozen green peas thawed
1 cup sliced Spanish sweet red peppers see * Note
(pimientos morrones)

Method :
* Note: Look for the cantimpalitos, bilbao and butifarrita sausages at Spanish markets, where you'll also find pimenton (Spanish paprika), saffron, Spanish rice and canned Spanish red peppers.
Heat the oil in a paella pan or very large skillet over high heat until it starts smoking. Cook the shrimp and calamari until the shrimp turns slightly pink and the calamari turns slightly white on both sides, 2 minutes. Make sure you do not overcook the seafood. Remove the seafood and set aside.
Add the sausages, chicken and pork and cook over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the meats and sausage from the pan and set aside.
Cook the tomato, green onions and garlic in the paella pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes, then add the pimenton, saffron and rice and stir well. Add the water, salt and meats to the pan. Add the mussels and clams. As soon as the shells begin to open - about 3 minutes for the mussels and 10 minutes for the clams - remove them and put them in another pot, covered.
Cover and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is al dente, 20 to 25 minutes. After 10 minutes of cooking, add the calamari, shrimp, clams, mussels, green beans, peas and peppers. Stir well. You may have to add a little water as the rice cooks.
This recipe yields 8 servings.

* Instead of four cups of water, i use 2 c water and 2c beer. Its expensive but you can reheat it, it gets better with every passing day.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
dj, I have been blessed to have had the authentic spanish paella in that country when I lived there for three years in the 80's. And I must say it is exquisite.

Saffron is the key to the spices. All the ingredients could be purchased on market day from the open air stalls, fishmongers and butchers on the inside of the building. Outside was a stall for churros that was a must to go with a fresh cuppa cafe con leche from the vente across the street. Gotta love market day.

The recipe I'd like to see recreated is for Sarge's Garlic Chicken. An American retiree who ran a quaint restaurant in a little town called Chipiona, which is famous for the grapes to make the appertife favored by the spanish gramma set and winos in Central Park... muscatel.

Folks would go there for the ambience despite the long wait for service. And I mean LONG WAIT. They'd take along board games, like Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit and sit hours at the long tables waiting for what must have been Sarg going out to pluck the birds (it took that long). But it was delicious when it got there, piles of garlic soaked pieces of chicken and long greasy fries from fresh cut potatoes.

One more goody was the fresh cut potato chips that could be bought on the street straight from the fryer cart that would be out in the evenings, sold in brown paper cones and still dripping hot.

No damn wonder I had clogged arteries, but man do I love street food!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have an advantage here on Cape Cod- my neighbor sets traps and gets the hardshell fish- I throw in the rest.

Its time consuming, but it kicks butt. Also, to serve it, arrange most of the shell fish on top, and use a finished clay serving dish if you can- "Barro", for some reason the flavor is spectacular with this pan and dont forget to make it look pretty.

We make 3 huge pots because i have so many people who come and want it!! Some of my in-laws come from 100 miles away!!!

And i agree, there is nothing like having this dish in Spain.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm spanish and I can assure your recipe is not "Spanish paella".

And maybe it would be a nice dish, but it is not paella. :shk:

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

I'm spanish and I can assure your recipe is not "Spanish paella".

And maybe it would be a nice dish, but it is not paella. :shk:

Do you perhaps have a recipe for Paella?

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Maybe hers is Cuban or Puerto Rican Paella?
It's still spanish.

Thanks for the recipe DG!

[edit on 25-12-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by psyopswatcher

I too was stationed in Spain in the early 80's and have had the pleasure of eating at Sarge's. The problem is I still crave the garlic chicken that sarge had prepared. If anyone ever gets a hold of this recipe, please email me @ brian@ecsi-nh.com

thanks,
Brian Walsh AD2 (1980-1984)
Navsta Rota
Test Cell

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by psyopswatcher

I lived in Chipiona from 1975-78 and I loved Sarges garlic chicken. Best I ever had and like you I wish I had the recipe, as I've never had anything quite like it.

Edward "Pete" Peters
Savage, MN

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Here is a recipe for authentic paella from a longtime resident of Spain:

allrecipes.com...

According to that source as well as the Oxford Companion to Food (compiled by Alan Davidson in 1999), paella originated in Valencia, Spain by the year 1840, although many earlier versions existed in that country, starting from Arabic and Roman sources. The book I cite is:

Davidson, Alan. The Oxford Companion to Food. 1999. Oxford University Press, Inc. : New York. Hardcover, 892 pages.

Here is a vegetarian version of what celebrity chef Christina Pirello calls "Spanish-style Paella", at least that what she calls it in the earlier edition of Cooking The Whole Foods Way that I have:

books.google.com... oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result

Here is the publishing information on my copy of her book:

Pirello, Christine. Cooking the whole foods way. Paperback, 1997 & 2007, 354 pages. A Home Book, published by the Penguin Group, USA: New York.

Bottom Line: There are a lot of versions of paella out there. Yes, authentic Spanish paella (from Valencia, Spain) is the foundation of these recipes. And yes, many innovative and even vegan verions of this recipe abound. My own favorites include tempeh paella and seafood paella.

Thanks, DG, for sharing your paella, a great example of making use of the best local ingredients. Rock on!

[edit on 1/12/2009 by Uphill]

new topics

top topics

join