It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Members Of Congress Arrested In Sudan Protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There isnt any simpler way to put this, 5 members of congress were arrested in Washington D.C. for protesting the things going on in Sudan. They blocked the front enterance at the Embassy of Sudan. They were only arrested for 45 minutes before being released. They hold strong views against the genocides being commited in Darfur, Sudan. Representatives Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Houston), Jim McGovern (D-Worcester, Mass.), Jim Moran (D-Virginia) and John Olver (D-Massachusetts) were known to have been arrested.

sfgate.com
WASHINGTON - Five members of Congress, including Rep. Tom Lantos (D-San Mateo) were arrested today when they blocked the front entrance at the Embassy of Sudan in Washington, D.C. Their protest and civil disobedience was designed to embarrass the military dictatorship's ongoing genocide of its non-Arab citizens.

All told, 11 people were arrested outside the Sudanese embassy on Massachusetts Avenue, including six activists as well as representatives Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Houston), Jim McGovern (D-Worcester, Mass.), Jim Moran (D-Virginia) and John Olver (D-Massachusetts). They were held in a jail cell for about 45 minutes and then released.

A crowd of about 60 demonstrators cheered as the members of Congress and other activists were arrested by U.S. Secret Service officers. They were taken in a van to a local D.C. Police Station where they were each charged with disorderly conduct and unlawful assembly, a misdemeanor.
"We cannot stand aside while hundreds of thousands of innocent people are being slaughtered," Moran said before his arrest.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, thats pretty interesting to say the least. I really wouldnt expect the representatives do actually do something to this extent. I am fully behind them on this one and I say good for them. I hope something gets done about this, and its nice to know some, if only a few, representatives will actually do more then just talk about it in their comfortable chairs. At least they were actually out there instead of making dinner plans and such, so good for them.

Related News Links:
cbs5.com

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I've got to say, if I were from their states I'd vote to reelect them just for this. This has got to be the first I've heard of members of Congress actually doing something in a long time. I highly applaud them for their actions and hope that their protests weren't invain.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Yeah, just what we need - Congressmen that don't understand the Constitution and it's Amendments. And, it appears, that they also believe the other laws they helped passed don't apply to them.

I'm not in favor of what has been happening in Sudan and I certainly don't know why we (the USA) have nothing, but that is no excuse for Congressmen to illegally protest.

The links to this story all point back to Tom Lantos who is now serving his 13th term in the House of Representatives. Link 26 years in Congress and he still doesn't understand the 1st Amendment??? And he doesn't understand that Embassies are not USA properties??? And you guys want to praise him???

Surely, with 26 years of political clout, Tom Lantos can come up with other ways to bring attention to this matter.

join