It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Legislature Approves Pot, Cocaine, Ecstacy & Heroin for Personal Use

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see what effect this leglislation has over the long-term. Will it result in an upsurge in useage all over the country? Will it decrease the number of people imprisoned for drug related crimes? Will it result in open sales and useage and thus generate additional tax revenues for the government? What effect will it have on other types of crime? /Etc., etc., etc....

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
if they are going to do anything they should take baby steps. Legalize marijuana...tax it...make mad money off the tourist and still keep a calm presense. Coke and Heroin...man that is just trouble. Crime will sky rocket because everyone will be trying to get a fix. And when they are searching for it they are desperate and you will have many innocent people hurt by this. Killings, rapes, kidnapping...just bad bad things. Aren't they smart enough to do the research. D.F. is already bad as it is. Now just add mass addiction and you will have a scary result. They will in the end loose the fight and loose money on tourism...except for the junkies of course...they will flock to them...i guess that might be good for the u.s. ...damn idiots...

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hold the phone...El Presidente says, "Just say no!"

Mexico's Fox won't sign drug law
"In our country the possession of drugs and their consumption are, and will continue to be, crimes," the office said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bad for black market prices, fat cats to stay fat...news at 5

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Why can't people simply face the fact that all drugs, I do mean, all drugs, legal and illegal, are an invitation to potential drug addiction and abuse for anybody, especially those of weaker constitution?

Painkillers are a drug and Rush Limbaugh is addicted to it, like most people who are known to be addicted to painkillers. Which is why he got into legal trouble over it, his serious drug addiction to painkillers is overriding his better judgment to treat himself better and carefully. Certain drugs are only meant to alleviate, treat or control certain illnesses or diseases for specific reasons or designs as intended by the scientists, researchers and doctors with a wealth of experiences and knowledges.

Then you got this sick drug fiend injecting what was supposedly heroin on an unconscious female fan: Pete Doherty arrested.

I'd say this before, I'll say it again: drug addiction/abuse is a serious problem, the availability and willful selling of illegal drugs to people is an invitation to poor personal choice, poor judgments, blatant disregard for life - whether it's oneself or others, more serious and expensive health problems, fraud, gangsterism, reckless competition, and complete ignorance of painful consequences.

I'm actually glad that President Fox have listened to common sense and realized the magnitude of problems in the future if he okays the decriminalization of such drugs.

Do not slam me because I simply believe that buying, using and even legalizing coc aine, heroin, opium, PCP, meth, or any other harmful/dangerous drug is plain, flat-out WRONG.

[edit on 5/3/2006 by pawnplayer]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
It will be interesting to see what effect this leglislation has over the long-term. Will it result in an upsurge in useage all over the country? Will it decrease the number of people imprisoned for drug related crimes? Will it result in open sales and useage and thus generate additional tax revenues for the government? What effect will it have on other types of crime? /Etc., etc., etc....

Yes, if a country did this, it would certainly be a most interesting social experiment. This is way drastic, is you ask me. Heroin? Good grief.

Holland's social experiment, where a distinction between hard drugs and soft drugs exists, is a start though to seeing if it can be done right.

df1

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by elab
Killings, rapes, kidnapping...just bad bad things.

Of course these are bad things, but what the hell does this have to do with legalizing drugs. You have no evidence that legalaizing drugs will cause anything of the kind. It sounds to me like you have heard too much DARE program propoganda.

Now just add mass addiction and you will have a scary result.

Again you do not have one stitch of evidence that this would be the case. The only thing scary is your fear mongering.

Originally posted by pawnplayer
Why can't people simply face the fact that all drugs, I do mean, all drugs, legal and illegal, are an invitation to potential drug addiction and abuse for anybody, especially those of weaker constitution?

More baseless drug war rhetoric with no evidence to back it up. Doctors in the U.S. are under medicating patients in severe pain out fear of being prosecuted by the DEA. What the hell is a police agency doing dictating medical drug policy. The best person to decide how much pain medicine a person receives is the patient, because only the patient know the degree of pain being suffered. However we have morons that insist the DEA knows best.

Painkillers are a drug and Rush Limbaugh is addicted to it...

The inequity in the application of the U.S. laws is also an outrage. Limbaugh was wealthy enough to buy himself out of the charges against him. A middle income individual aleviating the same pain as Limbaugh would find his butt sitting in jail. Rush doesnt belong in jail and neither does joe middleclass.

It aint nobodys business if you do.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
In reading the latest news releases on this leglislation and Presidente Fox's refusal to sign it, it appears people are concerned about drug tourism. I.e., U.S. & other non-mexicans travelling to mexico just to partake. However, the bill, I thought, only made possession of hard drugs (in personal use amounts) legal for known addicts. According to the news though the word addicts was replaced with the word consumers, which would make it applicable to anyone.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
It aint nobodys business if you do.

Yes, it's everyone's business when people's drug addiction and abuse get out of control and harmful rippling effects will be felt by everyone.

If you're so liberal on letting people encourage themselves with drugs so freely, there's a real certainty an underlining effect on the society's collapse from the erosion of health cares' abilities to address mass drug addictions and drug abuse.

"Hey, if that guy using coc aine and heroin freely, why can't I? Give me 1 pound bag of coc aine please and a quarter pound of heroin please,"

Before you know it, a grocery store chain will start distributing noxious substances in nice, marketable packages.

Simply put, many people will make poor personal choices in what they're buying from such noxious substances.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
In reading the latest news releases on this leglislation and Presidente Fox's refusal to sign it, it appears people are concerned about drug tourism. I.e., U.S. & other non-mexicans travelling to mexico just to partake. However, the bill, I thought, only made possession of hard drugs (in personal use amounts) legal for known addicts. According to the news though the word addicts was replaced with the word consumers, which would make it applicable to anyone.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Astronomer70]

Don't you remember last year's senior citizens going to Canada on busloads to buy cheaper prescription drugs due to the fact that buying prescription drugs in the US was too expensive?

Now imagine not only busloads but highways of vehicles driven by Americans going into Mexico for these drugs!
That would be nightmare for the border guards!

df1

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Yes, it's everyone's business when people's drug addiction and abuse get out of control and harmful rippling effects will be felt by everyone.

You have no evidence what so ever that legalization would cause out of control drug use beyond the out of control drug use we already have with the drug war. Ending the drug war would take the criminal profit out of drugs, eliminate turf wars and reduce the prison population by not putting users whos only crime is possession in prison. What we know for sure is that the drug war is failure and that it is a profit center for organized crime involving so much money that even honest law enforcement officers can be bought. Now that is a real undenialble ripple effect.

Continuing to do what has been a demonstrated failure over & over and expecting different result is just plain foolishness.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by df1]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
You have no evidence what so ever that legalization would cause out of control drug use beyond the out of control drug use we already have with the drug war. Ending the drug war would take the criminal profit out of drugs, eliminate turf wars and reduce the prison population by not putting users whos only crime is possession in prison. What we know for sure is that the drug war is failure and that it is a profit center for organized crime involving so much money that even honest law enforcement officers can be bought. Now that is a real undenialble ripple effect.

Continuing to do what has been a demonstrated failure over & over and expecting different result is just plain foolishness.

Oh, man, you just don't get it.
Ending the war on drugs will not simply solve that problems. It will begat problems with drug addiction and abuse.

It's obviously, if I could assume about you, that you don't care about people being tragically affected by those people who took those illegal substances to the extreme, even death.

df1

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

you don't care about people being tragically affected by those people who took those illegal substances to the extreme, even death.

It is you that dont care. People are being tragically affected now. Neighborhoods have been destroyed because of drug dealers. We have drive by shootings and turf wars. People are dying from taking homebrewed drugs that contain toxic substances. Police agencies insanely have a greater influence in determining available medical treatment instead of doctors. People are stealing and killing to pay for expensive drug habits. And despite all of these things you still think it is a great idea to continue the "drug war", a course that has been a complete failure and that will continue to be a complete failure. The prohibition was tried and it did not work so it was repealed. The drug war is just a repetition of the same errors made with the prohibition. Those who forget the past are condemed to repeat it.

If ignornance is bliss, I am sure that you are a very happy person.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by elab
Crime will sky rocket because everyone will be trying to get a fix.

LOL ignorance ftw.
legalizing drugs would cause their price to drop drastically
I suppose responsible adults can't do anything responsibly.

And when they are searching for it they are desperate and you will have many innocent people hurt by this. Killings, rapes, kidnapping...just bad bad things.

Sounds completely unfounded to me.

Aren't they smart enough to do the research. D.F. is already bad as it is. Now just add mass addiction and you will have a scary result.

I suppose keeping all drugs illegal yet not being able to stop them, thus creating an extremely lucrative market for them and creating drug dealers/empires is a lot better huh?

They will in the end loose the fight and loose money on tourism...except for the junkies of course...they will flock to them...i guess that might be good for the u.s. ...damn idiots...

Nothing wrong with moderation by responsible adults imo. I wonder why other people are so damn concerned about what I or anyone else does with their own body? How will they loose tourism? Spring break is all about going to Mexico and getting drunk for many people so I fail to see how it'd hurt tourism or how the entire country is just going to become big dope fiends and shut down everything and just do drugs. That's stupid to even think like that. But I can see they already have you scared straight. People ARE going to do drugs whether they are legal or not, by keeping them illegal it adds the criminal element of having to deal with drug dealers, I guess as long as you can buy it in a pharmacy and the pharmaceutical industry is pushing it, its ok right? But a plant from the earth is no no. The war on drugs works so well here in America

Factbook: The Netherlands and the United States

top topics

<< 1   >>

join