It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Personality Disorder...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I have a friend I suspect has multiple personalities. How would I know for sure?

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Anyone? Bueller Bueller? I guess no one knows.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm just going to describe observable behavior from my own experiences. I'm not making any diagnostic statement regarding your friend. If you believe your friend needs help, be sure to discuss it with your friend!

Confused reports of having lost time are often associated with dissociatiation, as are hearing voices and having hallucinations. The nuance of these memory gaps during the 'lost time' depends upon the "presenting" personality/identity. Each identity will have their own version of what the individual went through, some stories are more accurate than others. Identities are sometimes identified by name and tend to have varying levels of "control" and hypervigillance over the environment. Age levels of the identities can vary dramatically. I've seen folks have anywhere between 2 - 77 different identities.

Many individuals with DID that I have met engaged in a form of self-mutilation, some was intentional and some was unintentional.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I would have a serious conversation with both of them and ask them if they know each other and other probing questions to get to the bottom of there personalities.

I would sit them down and say look, you have got to pull it together you two this is not healthy behaviour

Speaking of which I miss SamaraAnnMorgan.

Hope this helps.

Mark

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by MarkosOrrealus]

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by MarkosOrrealus]

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I support MKULTRA's advice about gently reporting any observations to your friend.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think you should avoid contact with your friend at all costs.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:18 PM
link   
MarkosOrrealus is funny, why not get to know all of the personalities and see ifyou can notice when they arise?

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Multiple personality disorder is not something to be laughed at, but people showing signs can lead regular productive lives fully integrated with the community if their symptoms are not severe and if necessary treatment is administered early.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Has anyone seen SamaraMorgueAnn lately?

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
lol i think masked avatar has 5 personalities... 5posts in a row

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Hmmmm, I haven't visited this Topic in a long while.

Anything much been happening?

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think you are right about the avoiding my friend part.. especially if one of his personalities can twist metal like it was nothing. Who knows what might happen if he gets angry or something...

Good advice. And btw - I have noticed that he is into self mutilation or body piercing ... extreme forms of self abuse.
I already know of one of the personalities this friend exhibits his name is woodrow and he talks in a very high and effimante voice while the other personas all have deep voices. Very weird.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
If your intrested in this....this is a great book to try and find..the three faces of eve

The Three Faces of Eve (1956), described a woman who was believed to have three personalities. 6 This was the first multiple personality book to catch the attention of the public. It was later made into a movie which various sources date as being released in 1956 or 1957. It had a profound effect on the public, convincing many that multiple personalities were both possible and common.

[Edited on 19-10-2003 by asala]

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   
www.pathwaysup.org...

This should help you understand and help your friend

[Edited on 19-10-2003 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This is not really just a disorder..it is an illness, a disease and it is not contagious. So why would you avoid your friend in question?? Avoidence or *walking away* in my personal opinion could be the WORST thing a 'friend' could do. Support is the key, help is a possible solution.

Also, some people I've known in my life who I could swear had this, actually had something a little less dramatic, it's called mood disorder. Which could also be associated with manic depression or bi-polar. There are medical terms/names for all of our little outbirst or mood swings now a days! We act different and visit the old Doc and they simply mask it with some strong medication that even makes things worse in the long run..

I'm all for the medical field, please don't misunderstand me..but I believe with all my heart that people can be healed without medication, not always, but I'd say the majority of the time.

People are lost today, let's face it. This world is overwhelming and even takes a toll on the strongest of us. But the minute you feel weak or hopeless, soon comes a diagnosis of some 'mental illness'..which to me is WAY overdiagnosed!!

I've seen healthy, normal everyday human beings just lose hope or give up, they are then institutionalized, medicated or sedated and then they are REALLY hopeless even pathetic looking and they are expected to return to society in this condition??

Please..the best thing you can do *IF* your friend does actually have the severe multiple personality disorder(which is quite rare) is to be supportive, try to understand them, but not make sense of it because if it is the true disorder, it will never make sense to you. Try not to make fun, or joke about it or throw it in their face. This would not heal someone who say had cancer, so why would it with this illness..Treat your friend as though you would any friend who was sick. And lastly, talk about it with them, let them know your concerns. Maybe there is something deeper going on that you are just not aware of?

ALSO!! There are diseases actual physical diseases and cancers that can cause such imbalance..perhaps yor friend could use a good ole checkup/CBC etc..
Mags

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
brandt.kurowski.net...

here's something else i found which explains it in great detail. I hope your friend is ok

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Well I found out today that my friend does indeed have MPD... he told me that he can't control his alters. I guess if I am truly his friend then I have to accept who he is even if it includes having to deal with the others. So far I have encountered 3 distinct personalities... I thought he was just making them up to attract attention or whatever but I noticed a distinct change when he slipped back into his regular personality.

This might explain why I dont hear from him for a few days because he is too incapacitated (whatever the term might be) and doesn't remember calling me or whatever...

[Edited on 20-10-2003 by TheyWatchYouToo]

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   
usually MPDs have experienced heavy abuse a a kid, mostly sexual. i would say find a good phsychiatrist for him, maybe even hypnosis to regain memories of the past. Usually the persons were created to protect the person and splinter into factions with all their own memories. there are ways to make a whole memory again instead of splintered around the personalities. Be carefull with him though...

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
im sorry to hear that,
becareful with your friend because some MPD have violent out burst

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
if he says his name is sally, then you either
a. have a good idea,
or
b. need to reevaluate what bar's you go into...

top topics

join