It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN answer to Iran situation is to wait and do nothing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I was reading a story on Financial Times website stating that Russia and China are urging restraint on the Iranian enrichment issue when I saw the following statement near the end of the article;

US and EU diplomats hope to win Security Council backing for a resolution on Iran by mid-June. Such a resolution would not involve sanctions but would probably set out a new deadline for Iran to halt nuclear enrichment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iranians must be laughing their butts off. I knew the UN was useless, but give me a break...

UN - "Will you please halt your enrichment program so we can talk about this?"
Iran - "No. Why, are you gonna punish me?"
UN - "No, but we really want you to stop..."
Iran - "Well i don't want to..."
UN - "O.K. , we'll ask you again later."

with the UN

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the bombs should start flying, but doing nothing is not the answer. Iran may be totally innocent in all this, but they need to adjust their attitude if they expect to be allowed to continue their program.

If they are really only enriching for power, have at it and let the inspectors do their job so the rest of the Middle East/world can sleep at night.

[edit on 4/28/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
First of all Iran is more complicate that Saddam and his country was, let make that fact perfectly clear.

A overall sanction against Iran will disrupt the oil markets in the world and for the countries that Iran supplies oil.

Something that was not problem with Saddam underdeveloped Oil fields.

Any country that is Dependant of the Iranian Oil will definitely will be against the sanctions.

These sanctions will only benefit the US.

Yes if they are to continue with their uranium enrichment program and their desire to make nuclear weapons the way to go is not with sanctions that will do more harm than good.

But to target their nuclear plants while leaving their oil fields intact.

Is a matter of what is best and what will be another mistake when it comes to the US exercising foreign policies.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think he is refering to the UN sitting around and not getting anything done marg. They will sit on these until once again the US takes action without their approval.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I think he is refering to the UN sitting around and not getting anything done marg. They will sit on these until once again the US takes action without their approval.

I do not put my hopes to much in the UN, we know that when the moment comes for the US to do what it thinks its best UN approval is no needed.

UN is nothing that bureaucratic BS.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Iran may be serious about cooperating with the IAEA now...

Reuters.c om

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran on Saturday said it was willing to resume allowing snap U.N. atomic inspections if its case were dropped by the U.N. Security Council and passed back to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

But Mohammad Saeedi, deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, said Iran would not yield to U.N. demands that it abandon uranium enrichment, and criticized Friday's report by Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the IAEA, the U.N. nuclear watchdog.

ElBaradei said U.N. checks in Iran had been hampered and Tehran had rebuffed requests to stop making nuclear fuel.

"The report was not completely satisfactory for us and we believe that the report could have been done better than that," Saeedi told state television.

However, Saeedi insisted Iran would be able to answer ElBaradei's concerns about the access granted to U.N. inspectors if Tehran's nuclear dossier were dropped by the U.N. Security Council, which has the power to impose sanctions.

"If the case returns to the agency again, we will begin the section that concerns the Additional Protocol," he said.

"The enrichment will continue. But ... we will continue implementing the Additional Protocol as a voluntary measure."

The Additional Protocol to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty allows short-notice inspections of nuclear facilities.

"If they change their decision and choose the wise path, and the case returns to the IAEA, we believe we can solve all the issues mentioned in ElBaradei's eight-page report very quickly," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sounds like maybe they are willing to compromise after all, or they could just be stringing the UN along, only time will tell.

[edit on 4/29/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Xphiles is right, if you look at the original post, I don't even mention the US...
. Even though I think the UN is a bunch of international fatcats trying to line their own pockets, I think the US need to let them take the drivers seat on Iran. We just don't need to go in gun ablazing again without the UN on our side. Iraq is a mess.

[edit on 4/29/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
What, you thought the Useless Nations would get up off their collective seats and DO something?
That's one of the funniest things I've read in weeks! The day the Useless Nations DOES something besides sit around and get parking tickets that they don't pay, is the day the universe implodes.

new topics

top topics

join