It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 1 Protest -Will it hurt or help illegals?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is all I could find for now.

www.illegalimmigrantprotest.com...

and the minutement border patrol.
www.minutemanhq.com...
www.minutemanproject.com...

I think after their protests on May 1st, they will find that they made a big mistake.

[edit on 28-4-2006 by mecheng]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Signing off till Monday. We'll see what happens then I guess. Have a good weekend all.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
i know one thing it will hurt, the economies of the cities where it will affect most, and put a nice dent in federal tax income. This day will show you about why it would not be a good idea to just "kick them out".

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Sorry had to check before I left. How would it affect federal income tax exactly when most of them DON'T PAY ANY???

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
I can not believe what I am reading. Check out this website:

are they serious??????

[edit on 28-4-2006 by mrsdudara]
I'm afraid they are. I wonder why the strong feeling of entitlement no one else emigrating has? I'm baffled.
too.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I just had a thought....

This imigration bill is totally gonna pass. We have one of the strongest republican parties in office that we have had in a long time. Not only that but the longest running. Plus Bush is pushing to hand the torch to another republican by pulling stunts like halting deposits into the oil reserve to drop gas prices and get everybody all psyched about another republican. As long as the house is as strong as it is, this bill will pass with flying colors.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
i wish that when the europeans landed that the naitives to this land THE USA would have acted the same way because that is the only way you would have ever got rid of all the imigrants from comming here including all the whites blacks browns and yellows hell just to make sure i got everyone anyone walking upright on two legs. but no the naitives welcomed these people, REMEMBER THANKSGIVING!
what is going on now is almost no different than the time when black people were fighting for their rights, if it wasn't for imigrants this country would be nothing it is the diversity that makes it strong and if we start acting like nazy facists then this will be the next germany. however i have to agree on some issues ilegal imigration is wrong but the reason for this is that there are not enough visas or people don't have the means to get one so they have to resort to it now you can build a wall 100 feet high and low or try to fixt it at its source.
I am not latino i am not hyspanic i do not belong to any group of race i am human i was born in bolivia a beutiful country i been in the air force here and i also love this country but i am saddened to see people still havent changed since 200 years ago. as for those morons in the maras who are putting out those adds about taking back some of old mexico i say SHUT -censored- UP!!

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/28/2006 by Gools]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I honeslty don't think their walk outs will have much of an economic impact.

However, I think the rallys could get very ugly and I am sure there will be some violence. This situation is really heating up.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
In my opinion it will help them but at the same time it will be a perfect training ground for police state soldiers in riot gear to prepare for a daily occurance in the future.

[edit on 28-4-2006 by jaguarmike]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Pffft! I work with several immigrants (Legal) and I asked them if they were striking on Monday. They said "No way! We need the money more than the strike." Their concensus was that this would put a negative light on immigrants more than a good one. I had to laugh when they said the money was more important. Looks like they are behaving like regular Americans to me.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
~~

One thing that might come out of the analysis, as the larger American community looks and then reacts to this 'protest' & the refuse-to-work-we'll-show-em drama,
is that the 'workers' don't really have that much effect on the national economy,

sure, there are some jobs that Americans just dont do because they are 'dead end' positions/jobs... the illegal border crossers do them because its cash under the table and there isn't much background checking involved for that grunt work.

but, i'd guestimate that 75% of the border crossers don't 'contribute' much in the areas of GNP kinda work...
those 75% of the illegals, are engaged in work that revolves around providing good & services, within and in support of, the Illegal but productive 25% of the Alien Community itself.

In other words 25% of the border crossers are a positive aspect of the national workforce and the others are just transferring wealth & manpower to keep those communities of illegals viable & dynamic pockets of humanity.

There is an erroneous general consensus which proports
the Illegals are filling the niches & undesirable jobs that contribute to the Gringo
communities & keep the national economy going.

let's get real,
these 'communities' of illegals can be as small as the 6 families in the one house model,
in their nobel work ethic, 6 work at GNP type jobs, the other 18 or more in that 'community' make do as they can/
maybe hawk homemade burritos at construction sites/
maybe collect aluminum cans or recycleable metals for the pennies on the pound/
maybe scour dumsters for stuff for cash or pawn, or any # of cash making things.

bottom line: 1/3 to 1/4 are productive workers or employees
the other 2/3 to 3/4 are scavangers in the surrounding community of wage earning & legal citizens...
the barrio & micro-barrios are born!
These Islands of border-crossers will require more illegal humanity to support these barrios', as they grow....

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The protest will do exactly what every other protest has ever done. Get people all riled up and accomplish nothing worthwhile. Bleh bleh.

When will people learn that they can't change large social movements? Never, I guess. Not until there's a protest about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by razor1000
what is going on now is almost no different than the time when black people were fighting for their rights,

The blacks didn't come here...we brought them here by force!

[edit on 28-4-2006 by LadyPropag8r]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think that the protest is great! This is when they are all together and out in the open. Call in the national guard round 'em up and pay them minimal wage to build the wall. Once the wall is done, send 'em back to mexico.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Sorry had to check before I left. How would it affect federal income tax exactly when most of them DON'T PAY ANY???

not true all the imigrants i know pay taxes but they are based on fake numbers or someone elses and when tax time comes they dont file for returns so where does all this money go well last i heard it was about 10 millon dollars and it was keepiing social security funded as far as federal and state i can only imagine

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If our goverment wanted to end this problem all they have to do is deploy the National Guard to each of these cities to round up all the illegals and deport them. Now if I was an illegal immigrant I sure wouldnt go to any protests especially knowing they are gonna cripple the economy by pulling this stunt. I do feel this will help eliminate illegals in our country if our Goverment does pull the sheet over all thier eyes and then rounds them all up like cattle.

just a thought

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

i wish that when the europeans landed that the naitives to this land THE USA would have acted the same way because that is the only way you would have ever got rid of all the imigrants from comming here including all the whites blacks browns and yellows hell just to make sure i got everyone anyone walking upright on two legs. but no the naitives welcomed these people, REMEMBER THANKSGIVING!

The natives did not "welcome" the europeans. The europeans "took" their land and killed more than half of their population and pushed the rest of them into reservations.

You don't really believe that first Thanksgiving story do you?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i can see no way that this protest will help there cause, all of america knows whats
going no and what thay want , unless youve been in acoma for the last 6 mo.

however i can see how it will hurt there cause, many people who employ these illegals are small bussiness who cant afford to just close shop, even for one day.

its kinda like biting the hand that feed's ya .

also if this thing gets out of hand and turns violent , thier cause will be crushed..

and it would prove that thay realy are criminals in the eyes of many.

if i found someone sneeking in to my house thrue the back door ,or thrue any door you can bet your ass youll find out how good of a shot i am or not!

i think there are a lot of american's who fill the same way about thier country...

thay need to go home and then knock on the front door if thay want to come in just like everyone ells had to do!..................................................................

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by juicebox

The natives did not "welcome" the europeans. The europeans "took" their land and killed more than half of their population and pushed the rest of them into reservations.

You don't really believe that first Thanksgiving story do you?

what do you believe?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I don't know whether this protest/rally will turn out to be violent, and I don't know if it will have an impact on the economy.

However,..... ILLEGAL Immigration is ILLEGAL Immigration. That's all there is to it. No one here says "no more Immigrants",.... most say "no more ILLEGAL Immigrants!" I'm a legal Immigrant, and it took a very long time to become a citizen (somewhere around 5-6 years). It was a long process with lots of standing-in-line at the local (and sometimes far away) government offices, medical check-ups, tests, etc. It was anything but fun.

My observation is that the more desperate you are to get the hell away from your own country, the more likely you're going to do that illegally. I've been to Mexico, and I've seen how most of the poor live. It is absolutely horrible. If I were them, I'd want to run away too! If you have to feed your family NOW, you can't wait 2 years to be approved for a green-card, and another 5 years to become a citizen. I think that the key to lowering illegal immigration is to make the approval process more efficient, and faster. If this Government wishes to cut down on illegal immigration, they need to make the guest worker program faster, and more accessible.

If the Government wishes to give every single one of the Illegals a green card/citizenship, I honestly don't have a problem with that. Just because I had to suffer through becoming a citizen doesn't mean I wish the hardship on others as well. They'll be documented, they'll start paying taxes, and businesses around the U.S. will still have someone to hire.

Unfortunately for them, they'll also have to start paying their workers more, and paying them benefits. I think the Spanish-only/non-english speakers will lose in becoming legal, because not only will most of them lack education and language skills, they'll still have to settle for low wages, and they'll have to pay taxes too! Who would you rather hire? The english speaker, or the one who can't understand you? Is it really a hard decision if you end up paying them the same amount in wages? The only real benefit to these new, legalized immigrants would be the fact that businesses would no longer be able to send them home without pay/take advantage of them, and they'd be able to receive social services.

Some people will say that Illegal immigration is helping the economy, because businesses spend less money on labor and benefits, and pass on the savings to the public. Maybe this is true, and maybe it isn't. I personally think that lots of businesses will keep that profit for themselves, and none of us consumers will ever see it. The hiring of illegal workers, in my opinion, is the end result of the actions of the labor Unions. At the beginning and mid of the 20th century they had a true purpose, and they were absolutely necessary. These days they are greedy, and asking for too much. They're killing big and small businesses, and that is why a lot of them hire illegals.

I'll say one thing..... the working illegals are very hard workers. They certainly don't just sit around. I think the Mexican illegals/and legals are some of the harderst-working people. As for them sending money home,... well,.... it isn't good for the U.S. economy, but I can understand why they would do it. If you had a mother, father, wife, husband back in Mexico who are sick, or starving, or disabled, or jobless because they can't find anywhere to work,.... what would you do? Would you let them starve, or die? Or would you send some of that money you made to them, to help them?

All in all,..... Illegal Immigration is bad for this country. We must put an end to it, or at least slow it down. We could do that by speeding up the legalization process, and/or the worker program. Builiding a wall at the border will also help a lot. Allowing Illegals to protest is ridiculous, but if they truly want citizenship, and if they want to pay taxes, I say let's let them! How would we lose?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join