It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not many people here seem to like rap. Whats you opinion on rap?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I feel the same way about rap, as I do country music, and that is that 95% of it is trash, but there is some truely gold music hidden deep down. Sift through the garbage to find treasure.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Just like every genre, it's mostly crap, cept for the good stuff.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I see plenty of good rap. Even the new stuff. Just got TI's new album THE KING. I liked it alot. I also liked E-40's MY GHETTO REPORT CARD. I like all kinds of rap, but Tupac was THE BEST!!!! Much rap out there. Lots of different stuff. And it DOES NOT all sound the same! What a great music! Rap and Russian music are the only music I listen to, but I kinda like Classic, because it calms the angry soldier down. Jazz isn't too bad either, but I don't listen to it, except when someone turns it on, which I don't mind.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I like rap, but most of the new stuff is garbage. The best stuff really still is underground I think.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It doesn't even qualify as music simply because it doesn't involve the use of any musical instruments.

Plus, it's got too many words.
It's like being out at a restaurant or somewhere and the guy at the next table keeps talking and talking and talking and won't shut up.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Try to avoid generalizations. Here's and example of poetry spoken to acoustic guitar. It's one of my favorites actually. When words are put to music it counts as music don't you agree?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It doesn't even qualify as music simply because it doesn't involve the use of any musical instruments.

How do you define musical instrument? You can turn a bucket into a drum.

Plus, it's got too many words.
It's like being out at a restaurant or somewhere and the guy at the next table keeps talking and talking and talking and won't shut up

You must like instrumentals.

Here's a non-stereotypical jam...

Guru - Keep Your Worries

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Try to avoid generalizations. Here's and example of poetry spoken to acoustic guitar. It's one of my favorites actually. When words are put to music it counts as music don't you agree?

I play guitar and poetry accompanied by acoustic guitar is indeed music. But hip hop rap is not really known for acoustic guitar, it might have an occasional electric guitar riff but even the lick is usually a sample of something stolen from an old 70's or 80's rock song that's usually used as a filler.

Also, it's one thing putting words to music, that's where the artform comes about when the melody compliments the music, but many songs today seem to try to cram tons of words into the usual period of a regualar 4 : 4 beat that it soon becomes monotonous with no structure and no meaning whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm not a huge rap/hip hop fan, but as with anything, you'll find gold if you dig in the right places. Some of my favorite artists in this genre:

Public Enemy
KRS-One
Mos Def
Saul Williams
Grandmaster Flash
Dead Prez
Talib Kweli
Black Star
Beastie Boys
NWA
Ice-T
The Roots
Run DMC
Afrika Bambaataa

/tn.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I like rap and there is some stuff out there I would consider musical, although you may not.

One of my fav's for quite a while is Buck 65. The man is a turntable artiste extraordinaire.

Beautiful, no?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hip hop... It's a good thing.

I really dig Mf Doom, Del and anything Dangermouse is involved with.

[edit on 31-3-2008 by MrsEsterhouse]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Mixmaster Mike is sik with the wax...

(Be advised, tracks contain a few words that may not be suitable for younger listeners.)

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 4/1/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Yes Jack, I mainly prefer instrumentals.
I don't have tons of CD's but I do own plenty, 80% of which are music only, no words, no lyrics.

If a picture can tell a thousand words, then music can tell just as many, so as far as I'm concerned, no words should be required.

My music collection consists mainly of Jazz, instrumentals mainly, but if any words are contained it's usually not English but rather Brazilian Portuguese because the langauage itself, the way it is spoken, the inflection and cadence of Portuguese langauage almost qualifies it as a musical instrument.
And Brazilian music is not your basic typical music, it is rich in melodic content and style with some level of complexity from a musical standpoint yet so simple and flowing.

Repeat: If a picture can tell a thousand words, Brazilian music can tell a thousand and a half.

You must also remember that a good song will always stand the test of time.
I mean, good music -with or without words- is not like clothing and never goes out of style. Though it may get old, it will still be good from generaton to generation because there will not be any musical qualities that can date it.

That's what makes a good song great, and a great song a classic.

An example of dated songs today are those songs where the *artist (*sounds like the same guy) synthesizes his voice. That has gotten old and tacky and dates his material circa 2006-2008.

I'm sorry by I disagree on two counts about your Guru song, nothing Jazzy whatsoever and it is a stereotypical hip-hop song, heard one-you've heard them all.

However, the song that Rasobasi420 provided was not typical, the chorus was nice which I would qualify as an arrangement but the typical blabbering of the vocalist with an overdriven microphone killed the guitar work and the song in general.

Keep in mind, it's not just about the music, it's also about the technique. That's why I'll give you some credit with the DJ vids you provided. He may not be playing a musical instrument but he is playing his turntable like one, his hand to hand coordination deserves some level of respect.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Alxandro]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Well, I am certainly not trying to discredit any other forms of music. I happen to enjoy many different sorts of music and have a diverse collection. I also enjoy instrumentals actually, even rap jam instrumentals. Somtimes I will take rap instrumentals and weave together a long supermix just for driving to.

What it really comes down to though, is that every from of music has its place, and that does include rap. I'm certainly not about to crank some Arch Enemy or Pantera when I'm cooking up a nice dinner for a ladyfriend, nor would I mosh to Mozart. I think one of the reasons that I do enjoy rap, is that it can be thoughtless. I don't need to be emotionally moved or deeply contemplative in a club, or in rush-hour traffic. Then there are the rap artists with varying styles and complexities that must be judged each by their own merits.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Russian Soldier: A "wife beater" is slang for an article of clothing. You know those white ribbed tank top looking things that guys wear? That's a wife beater.

Now you can flame me all you want for this, but I can't stand TuPac and yes, I have heard the song "Dear Mama". I've seen the way TuPac used to act back in the day and I just thought it was terrible. I can deal with the fact that his music was violent and derogitory against women, I am always preaching that we need to teach our kids the difference between entertainment and reality so they don't take what they hear in music so seriously, but when these rappers are actually acting that way...it's kind of hard to take them seriously.

Urmomma: Seriously, how is calling rap YUK! racist? There are white rappers correct? Come on, learn to tell the difference of someone stating their opinion and someone making a racist statement. Also you are being hypocritical. You want people to accept rap when you are making dirogitory statements against rock? Rock is not dead, there are constantly coming out. Go listen to Queens of the Stone Age!

I will admit I am not raps biggest fan, and yes I have heard many of the underground stuff. There is some stuff that I do like, such as Q-Tip, A Tribe Called Quest, Eve's first album, old Black Eyed Peas (before Fergie came and ruined them) and Missy Elliot.

It's just another thing that some people like and some people don't. Both sides of the issue just need to deal with it!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
IMO

mainstream rap is a thug image, a pimp or player image, and an image that gets a lot of kids into trouble

the music is simple most of the time, and the same crap over and over and over, do you really ride on 22's snoop dogg? gee i must have forgotten when you said that on your last 5 albums

the underground is worse since eminem came around, you have all these white kids going around using big words and lacking any real flow or talent, the underground all sounds the same, and seriously you won't stay underground for too long if you are actually good and that's that

rap is a joke and it's a shame it's now pop music

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I am personally not a fan of rap music....I grew up listening to music from the 60's...classic rock, folk, etc... I grew up with Bob Dylan and The Beatles in the CD Player.... So i've never really liked rap.

I went through a phase where I thought Eminem might turn out to be a good song writer, but that was short-lived when I heard "Kim". So, i've never reall been a fan of rap, I don't have any rap albums. Most of my music is Rock and Roll or Jazz.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OSSkyWatcher

You are so right!
I don't know if it's true but I heard once that RAP stands for "Retards Attempting Poetry".

We keep hearing people complaining about how our leaders keep doing things to destroy our country, yet they can't see that the same thing can be said about society in general and the things it keeps tolerating and keeps accepting.

This is a perfect example of how *music, *if I may call it 'music', has contributed to the decadence of our society.
A prime example and one of the many reason of just why the enemy wants to kill us, yet ironically the same people contributing the most to this decadence are usually the same people that are quick to defend the enemy.

Pretty ironic, don't cha think?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

By the way, the Guru Jazzamatazz albums are recorded with real instruments in collaboration with know jazz artists. So even if you don't like it, I think it would certainly qualify as music.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join