Not many people here seem to like rap. Whats you opinion on rap?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ive noticed that not that many people here seem to like hip hop. I know some of the new rap isnt that good, but some good rap songs are still coming out, theyre just harder to find. For example, The Dogg pound are still making good songs. What are your guys' opinions on old school and current hip hop and the way its moving?

By the way, I have a rap music page on myspace. www.myspace.com...
Feel free to add me.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Hate to say it, but how many more times can everybody sing the same song as everybody else? It's the same old snore and I detest groups that incorperate soundtracks from the 60's 70' 80's and 90's. Thats not talent. Also, dressing like Al Capone and have fake bullet holes on ones car is even nuttier. I'll check out your link, but to me Rap is like Disco music.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I'm not a huge fan, but I disagree that it's "all the same", because it isn't.

A lot of the commercial stuff is similar, but thats the way it is in every Genre: Commercialization means making what sounds like something else that was succesful.

But I have heard Rap/Hip Hop that is very original, and very good with it. To be honest, I haven't heard much, but I'm sure there's plenty more good than just what I've heard. I used to like the Wu-Tang-Clan and Busta Rhymes, the rest I can't remember. I don't like Jay-Z, and I certianly don't like much of the new crop like "Fiddy". That gives Rap a bad name, there's a lot better out there than that chump.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Hip hop is amazing.. and im not refering to the hip hop commonly heard on the radio. There is a wealth of intelligent and introspective hip hop artists that currently work for underground labels mainly because the majority of rap fans in the country dont like thinking too hard. This has nothing to do with the fact that good hip hop expresses complex emotion while maintaining a beat worth nodding your head to. I love hip hop and its changed my life for the better

here are some artists worth checking out

Biggie Smalls, Non Phixion, Cunninglynguists, Atmosphere, Deltron, 7L Esoteric, Virtuoso, Hieroglyphics, Immortal Technique, Mobb Deep, Slick Rick, Whodini, Mood, Jadakiss, D-Block, Westside Connection, Jedi Mind Tricks, Edan, Dizzy Rascal, M.I.A, Artifacts

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
True, Hip Hop can often be violent and overtly aggresive and anti-social, not to mention rude, disrespectful, boastful and hopeless...but it is quite an original and unique form of art and I think it could be classified as both music and poetry. If you actually have a listen to classic and underground hip hop (not the commercial trash from the likes of eminem, 50 Cent or whatever) but the real stuff like 2Pac, Notorious BIG, Immortal Technique, Nas...you will realise rap/hip-hop is actually quite interesting in that it reflects thoughts everyone has had some point in time and many rap artists are among the most intelligent and creative people in the msuic industry...I personally like hip hop but also the mainstream stuff such as classical, pop, dance, trance and rock. I talk talk all day about the virtues of hip hop music and poetry but yeah...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I used to listen to it when I was a punk teenager with a radio so loud the whole town could hear it when I came through for nearly a half a mile. Then I became a Christian and through all my secular music away cuz it was a sin to listen to secular stuff. Rap is relatively new music anyhow isn't it? I grew up listening to lionel Richie, Marvin Gay, Kool and the Gang Michael Jackson The Temptations and all those other Motown artist. Now that I'm older rap is sort of non relaxing if you will.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I used to love rap music, it was all I would listen to!

Untill I realised - The glorification (sp) Of violence is not a good thing
!!!!

They just talk about girls, guns, money and there little crews. And oh how tough they have had it! And omg will they ever learn how to pronounce words
!!!!!!!!

I know plenty of people who have had tougher lives, and they don't brag about it

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Most Rap Music = :shk: *Promotes Violence, as mentioned in earlier post*

to Rap Music.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
We've had a UK hip-hop scene since the 80's but it was B.S. cause we were trying to emulate what we heard from america but the last couple of years has seen the emergence of real UK artists and a lot are well respected by US artists for their contribution. If your intrested in listening to something different then check out thes UK artists:
Kano, Sway, The Mitchell Brothers, The Streets, Dizzy Rascal

I agree with everything that has been said regarding hip-hop becoming too comercial, its sad really but thats what sells records, films, video games (not a swipe at 50 Cent *ahum*). True underground artists arent in it for the money, their in it to be the best.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I would just like to mention that there is plenty of hip hop that doesnt glorify violence, so until you know what your talking about dont bother with opinions.

THANK YOU

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yah, some rap is very origional. Ive even heard songs where people took apart classical songs and turned them into rap. Alot of songs talk about violence, but there are some artists who talk about other things, you just have to find them. By the way, I dont know about you, but Im not "felling" the whole crunk trend.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The Real Reason For The Decline Of Hip-Hop

My bad!

Geez, I went so far as to repost that song just to make my point.

But I think it does make my point.

(Actually, I think rumors of the death of rap are greatly exaggerated. Like everything else, some of it is great and much of it sucks -- just like every other genre of music known to man. Ain't no thang.)

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigPimpin
What are your guys' opinions on old school and current hip hop and the way its moving?

What I would say about rap music would get me banned from the Internet.

But here is the lighter side of what I feel about it:

Microsoft Hit Wazard! - R&B Edition

Originally posted by TgSoe
Then I became a Christian and through all my secular music away cuz it was a sin to listen to secular stuff.

Oh boy, what chapter of what book is that from? Sounds just like the church I had to grow up in: don't worry about what God wants, do what the CHURCH wants.

NN

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It's okay, but it's all about "Fighting" constantly. Metallica, Guns and Roses, and KISS didn't fight that much. It used to be about exposing the down side to American Urban life to the world. Now it's about everything from "Best Poet", "Best Actor", to who can get on to "The Fablous Life of...." and buy more stuff and then bore their fans more, by buying more stuff they don't need, so the kids will not even consider another career, if college dropouts.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well, I tend to disagree plenty with some of the things said here.

I've heard plenty of rap that doesn't promote violence and or any of the "thuggish" lifestyle. In fact even in some songs that seem to be about violence, they're actually not if you listen to the words and what is being said.

Being into words, I am constantly amazed by how they can be worked together to create a listening harmony on many different levels.

As for old/new? I like some of both from a variety of artists. Currently though I am more into some of podsafe groups like SHOK (go play Wake Up), Asamov (go play Standing Room Only), and HeavyMojo (go play Radio).

The first one SHOK is Christian Rap BTW which has a positive message, not a bad one. It's a good song. Give it a try. I just tend to appreciate music in many forms.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Promote violence? Wow, turn off MTV and the radio. You're not going to find "Hip Hop" there.
I love these generalizations.. Try K-OS, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Common, Atmosphere, RJD2 (more of a beatmaker), Blackalicious, Jurassic 5, Run DMC, Del, Eric B and Rakim, Souls of Mischief, K-OS, K-OS, K-OS Damnit, etc.

www.k-osmusic.com...

Listen to some of their lyrics please.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Thank you tribe!

Oh and Majic, its obvious that your percepion of Hip hop is based on the few songs you heard on the radio or saw on TV. You obviously have no concept of hip hops origins or what underground hip hop is all about. Noone cares about your opinion on hip hop because you dont know what it is.

Some of The smartest things Ive ever heard have been written through Hip Hop lyrics. Actually, good hip hop is well thought out poetry spoken over a beat. If you judge hip hop you judge the merits of poetry.

If I could take any of you critics and put you into a room for 3 hours where you were forced to listen to some of the lyrics of the artists I refer to, I garuntee your perception would change.. But you wont give it a chance because like so many people here, you made up your mind before investigating.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Rap is pretty much the only music I know.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
All Rap music isn't bad just most of it.Its ok to listen to it aslong as you dont try and act black...or as all them thugs would calll it frontin. if u like it because u think that they have somthing to say other then ballin or gangbanging then more power to u . I just hate how people listen to it because it is the cool thing to do. cuz all dem thugs and gangbangers rapin is frontin or they wouldnt be rapin, they would be dead or in jail.

I listen to these artists when i ride. encore, gangstarr, jaw gymnastics, some others cant think of them
but when me and my boys want to get gansta wit it. nutin but straight- nwa,icecube, 2 pac and bow wow.

this goes out to all my thugs,gangbangers, drugdealers, thugs,hood rats, theyz babys mommas, or any other criminals.....Get a real job!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join