It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Indiginous projects update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Some recent photos that substantiate the "twin fin F-5", Saeqeh-80. Not sure whether it will be produced, but my money is on it just being a technology demonstrator. If it was originally intended as a production fighter, it is completely outclassed by the Azarakhsh and Shafaq / Shafagh

I don't think the intakes are much different from the F-5 (contrary to previous reports) and the engines appear unchanged.

This has definately been flying for several years.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by planeman]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Looks like a cross between an F-5 and F/A-18 to me. I'm not saying it's a copy, I'm just saying that's what it looks like to me.

I'm positive however that there is alot more under the hood. It seems to be a very nice medium multi-role fighter. Sure it'll fit the bill.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Someone on another forum noticed something very interesting. If you look carefully at the picture that gives a close-up over the wing, you can see that there are no rivet heads visible at all (unlike on the fuselage). That suggests that the wing, at least its upper surface, is composite. i.e. instead of metal skin and structure, it is made out of advanced materials. Composites are generally used because they are lighter and stronger, and because they can reduce drag (reducing the many rivets). From a stealth perspective they atre generally radar-transparent, which is a double-edged sword.

Like the "all composite" Tazarv trainer, this points towards the Iranian aircraft industry having a good working understanding of advanced design concepts. But like the Tazarv, the twin-fin F-5 is let down by its unadvanced engine.

Ref: Tavarv trainer:

[edit on 28-4-2006 by planeman]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Another possibility is that it's made by Friction Stir Welding, it's a process that produces allmost flawless welds to aluminium and it could be used on plane wings

top topics

join