It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is tax included when showing gas price?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
When you buy anything in the U.S., it is the price before taxes. Gas is different. the $2.99 we see right now has taxes included in the marque sign cost. Why? Is it to hide the state and federal taxes lumped into the cost of a gallon of gas? I'd like to see some smaller gas stations start to advertise the actual cost, and add "plus tax" to it.

Seems to me that the government makes more "profit" than the oil companies. Not that the oil companies are part of the blame, also.

Europeans should REALLY like this idea too, from what I've seen...

[edit on 4/27/2006 by soulforge]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I would say that happens, because if you only have $20 to put in and you fill til it says $20, you don't want to go in and find out now you have to pay tax too. Makes sense to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
I would say that happens, because if you only have $20 to put in and you fill til it says $20, you don't want to go in and find out now you have to pay tax too. Makes sense to me.

Yes, but the realization that $8 of a $35 gas fill-up is tax would be shocking to the average person.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Here in Canada there are stickers on the pumps that say 7% for federal, 7% for provincial, so we know how much we are being milked for. Might be a good idea if they did that down there in the USA.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Tax is included in the price of Ciggarettes too....not sure about smokeless tobacco.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Perhaps the tax is included in the price of a gallon of gas because you can't put some of it back if you find out you don't have enough money. Once you pump it into your tank, you can't take some of it out and put it back in the gas pump.

top topics

join