It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Gravitational pull sets planets tilt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I am not a genius on this, but it is a small article with not much information. I would presume that this change would have taken place after the big bang theory. How can the gravitational pull of the earth affect other planets? Or is it the gravitational pull of the indivdual planets?

An early gravitational shift made the giant planets tilt the way they do — which is different from the way Earth and the other smaller planets tilt, an astronomy study suggests.
The shift probably happened billions of years ago when the bigger planets in our solar system were closer together than they are now, and the gravity of each one exerted a pull on the others, says the study in today's Nature.

Please click for article

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
What they're saying is that in the early solar system the BIG planets were closer to each other (they're really, really far away from each other) and that this somehow caused the planets to tilt moreso than they normally might have.

How does it do this? I don't know... so don't put too much faith in the article unless they explain it better. Also, why wasn't earth affected? I don't know that either. Finally, how close were the planets back then? It beats me.

However, it is a funny concept to consider, and then there's always the question about Uranus and its major tilt.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Yarium,

I agree unless they explain more it is tough to understand exactly what they are saying, hence comprehension is a challenge.

I am sure there is more information on this...

Cheers

K23

new topics

join