It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple's All Seeing Screen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

The clever idea is to insert thousands of microscopic image sensors in-between the liquid crystal display cells in the screen. Each sensor captures its own small image, but software stitches these together to create a single, larger picture.

A large LCD screen filled with image sensors would be ideal for videoconferencing, Apple suggests, as participants would always appear to look straight into the "camera". The technique could also add a camera function to a cellphone or PDA without wasting space, and light from the screen should help illuminate a subject.

So if you have one of these, be sure to unplug it when you're not using it. You don't want Big Brother all up in your business.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Well, they don't exist yet... it said that this was idea they've had that they could use to produce such computer screens - and then sell the idea to cellphone companies, or perhaps make "Apple" cellphones.

Also, if you're worried about it, what are you going to do when they put it on cellphones

I don't mind, I don't use a cellphone anyways... and if I did own a computer that sent information about how I look to the government, then I hope they enjoy looking at this devilishly handsome fellow for a few half-hours, and a blank wall for the rest of the time.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I like the concept of the red-eye age checker... if that became popular, I wouldnt have to carry a card to go to the bar anymore.

Not to mention those whiny brats will have to stay home from then on.

apc

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Make mine twelve feet wide and holographic.

And it must have free long distance.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I like Apple's innovation, the ipod, the bootcamp software and they are thinking ahead.

I have been considering buying at least one apple computer. Of course I was wondering and maybe someone can answer this. Can I use 802.11b adapter with an apple computer if I dont use Appletalk and use TCP/IP? this router, while I dont think its specific to certain OSes, I think it needs windows 2k/XP to interface with it

However, I have read that configuring your Mac to TCP/IP should allow you to use the wireless router.

any one know for sure?

can you mix and match the routers and adapters? have an airport adapter for apple with all windows machines using the same router as you?

would really like to know.....I think you can

[edit on 27-4-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Who would want that? At least with cameras and microphones you can unplug them when not in use.

[edit on 28-4-2006 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Can I use 802.11b adapter with an apple computer if I dont use Appletalk and use TCP/IP?

Wow, I guess I take my knowledge of the Apple universe for granted.
Apple was the first company with 802.11b in laptops and desktops, they were the first computer company to manufacture and market 802.11b networking equipment to the average computer user. With the Apple Airport Extreme router you can plug your stereo into it and send iTunes output to your stereo system.

So uh, yeah all you have to do to get a Mac on your TCP/IP wireless network is click in the top right corner on your airport icon and pick the network, sometimes there are other people's networks to use. Its handy as hell at hotels that include free wireless.

Originally posted by XphilesPhanthis router, while I dont think its specific to certain OSes, I think it needs windows 2k/XP to interface with it.
Yes some routers only have windows software to configure them, thats pretty annoying, but you don't really have to configure your router and tell it "i'm going to use a mac", you just tell the mac "use that network"

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
However, I have read that configuring your Mac to TCP/IP should allow you to use the wireless router.

Airport and TCP/IP have been default self detecting networks for years on Macs, AppleTalk died in 2001 and macs had TCP/IP networking as a standard built in component since about 1995.

You can also use your Airport equiped mac to broadcast an IP to another wireless router, which can then send IP down the line to all other devices that need it, I've been doing this for years.

Originally posted by XphilesPhanany one know for sure?
can you mix and match the routers and adapters? have an airport adapter for apple with all windows machines using the same router as you?

would really like to know.....I think you can
[edit on 27-4-2006 by XphilesPhan]

Indeed you can. Check out a Mac Mini, its cheap, you can use KVM switch with your current Monitor/PC configuration and be a super geek. Just remember folks, when you buy a computer give her lots of RAM and you'll always have a good time.

Of course thats all off topic, but hey we are here to learn right, as for the topic I'll just say:

This has the potential for abuse, not only by the shady characters, but by the people who will use the technology, please see myspace dot com and the history of webcam centered websites for examples of how you can ruin your life by recording your most embarassing moments into googles cache for all time. Or make lots of money.....

[edit on 28-4-2006 by Legalizer]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Thank you so much...... yes, I admit my knowledge of Apple computers isnt as extensive as the PC since all the schools teach the Microsoft/PCs. I was raised on windows but have always wanted to expand my knowledge.

recently Apple computers have caught my attention, but since I have practically zero expierence with them and we only buy PC's, im out of luck.

However I am considering in investing in a Mac mini.

Thank you so much for the information

top topics

join