It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cut tom cruise some slack will ya!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
ok maybe some things he has done recently are questionable, but give him a break! this guy has been a hollywood star scince his first of many movies back in the 80's, before i was even born and today hes still at the top of his game. in the 80's this guy was making 15 million a year! that much today is almost double its worth! not only that dam near all of his movies just raked it in like mad.

has anyone seen his trailer for m i 3??? oh my god it looks amazing! in one scene tom is bookin it towards the camera with a car on the right side and all of a sudden a friggen fighter jet missle zips METERS away behind him exploding knocking tom into a car quite violently, while the jet zips across the screen in the background! he breaks the cars windows and slams his head and everything!! is that frikin amazing or what?

the trailers movies.yahoo.com...

heres some background on tom

Tom Cruise is one of the most influential and powerful men in Hollywood, however, it wasn't always that way. He has had to fight his way to the top of tinseltown's A-list. Even now he constantly has to prove himself to nay-sayers who question his competence and talent.Cruise seemed to have had to struggle throughout his life. He was born into poor family that frequently moved while his father searched for work. He found it difficult to make friends because of the relocating and his troubles were only compounded by the fact that he had a form of dyslexia. He may have not been an academic success, but he was determined.. While he was still young his father left the family and Tom was thwarted with new responsibilities which he took very seriously.He developed his physique and competed in many sports. However, after suffering a knee injury that snuffed out any athletic possibilities, Cruise spent a year in a Franciscan monastery and considered becoming a priest. But after appearing in a few high school plays, he realized where his true calling lay.

He set aside a maximum limit of ten years to build an acting career and headed off to New York to begin his quest. Impoverished and barely scraping by, he started his assent towards super stardom.Much of the early 1980's were spent on forgettable teen flicks that did little to enhance his career. However, with keen business sense he managed to reinvent himself in Hollywood. By the mid 80's he was starring in some of the top grossing films including ''Top Gun,'' ''The Color of Money,'' ''Rain Man,'' and ''The Fourth of July''(receiving an Oscar nomination and a Golden Globe Award)He was one of the highest paid actors in the world by 1990. Cruise was reportedly paid $15 million a picture in such blockbuster hits as ''Interview with the Vampire,'' ''Mission: Impossible,'' and ''Jerry Maguire'' (for which he received another Oscar nomination).

have i changed anyones outlook on tom today?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You haven't changed my outlook on Tom, but I agree with you.

People are weird. If any of us had every aspect of our lives under a microscope like celebrities do, I imagine people would think we were pretty weird and quirky. I know I am.

And Tom's a good actor and has some great movies.

I don't agree with a lot of what he believes in, but that's his thing. He's into it. Big deal. I do agree with him on some things, though like his stance on antidepressants, etc. He might be eccentric, but so what?

I like him.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I think it's safe for me to say that most people would just prefer to see him in his movies, where we can voluntarily go to see him as opposed to seeing his mug plastered all over everythng.

Every time I turn the channel he's usually there and I have to fight my gag reflex/resist the urge to throw the TV through a window out onto the busy street/just turn it off for a week hoping the stories about him are done

But they don't ever seem to be done and now we have to put up with Katie's mug too *sigh* It's just too much for any normal, sane human to take in.

I see your point but unfortunately they're
in this house, amongst other annoying, certifiable celebs.

But please, U do enjoy

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
So...why exactly should we cut the Self-Professed Expert in ALL things Psychiatric any slack at all ?? Maybe if he kept his big mouth shut and just made movies it would be different...but since he spouted off on Today how he's so all-knowing of the Psychiatric Profession and that he's right no matter what then he opened the door for criticism and ridicule. His bizarre behaviour and his devotion to the Scientology Cult also adds to the mess.

If he cannot take the heat.....he should shut that hole under his nose.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
He has "pegged" my weird meter, so I really can't cut him anymore slack. I think he has become a victim of his own success. I did like his early works, but I passed on MI-1, MI-2 and will pass on MI-3.

I will still watch him, Anthony Edwards and Val Kilmer kicking tail in Top Gun on a lazy Sunday afternoon, though.

JDub

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Dont pass on MI 1, it's a DePalma classic.

The second one was ehhhhhhh. The motorcycle jousting was a little ridiculous.

Peace

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
As much as I disagree with Alpha Grey's post, I have to agree with him. When Tom voiced his strong opinions, he opened himself up to being criticized. I honestly believe his sham with Katie is only to help their careers. They hook up for War of the Worlds and now have a kid for MI:III. I agree with some of the words he speaks, and I believe he has done a few good movies as of late. The Last Sumarai to name one was a performance that reminded me of a Top Gun or Rain Man.

At the end of the day, people can hate him all they want but it really doesn't change anything. If you want to spend your days hating people that don't even know you exist, have at it!

I'm a fan myself.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Cruise has made some amazing films, made a lotta money and has been under the limelight for years.

Being watched constantly probably does some weird things to people.

Psycho or not, can't wait for MI:3!

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
So...why exactly should we cut the Self-Professed Expert in ALL things Psychiatric any slack at all ?? Maybe if he kept his big mouth shut and just made movies it would be different...

its not entirely toms fault on what comes out of his mouth you know, if you even read the background i gave on tom you might have understood -
"He was born into poor family that frequently moved while his father searched for work. He found it difficult to make friends because of the relocating and his troubles were only compounded by the fact that he had a form of dyslexia."

besides even if all he did was make movies and hide from media attention in between the media would probably still critizize that and make false statements as well. tom cruise is a good actor and you know it.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I remember reading rather than taking his standard 15 million or so for a film, he chose to opt out and take a percentage of the profits on MI:II. He ended up grossing close to $100 Million. A few other actors have done this as well as of late, so the guy deffinately has some brain upstairs. He's not some fool, rambling on without any background on the subject. He has an opinion and he defends it, that has to be respected whether you agree with it or not.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So what if hes a closet homosexual and a member of a Satanic cult? As long as he keeps making good movies Ill be giving him my $9. (Isnt it wierd that John Travolta, another scientologist, was in Pulp Fiction!!! of all movies!?! No one tell Tom! They're against using prescription drugs, and hes smoking joints and shooting up the whole movie!)

Does anyone acutally agree with anything famous people say or do? Halley Berry has hit-and-run TWICE! Sean Penn is a raging lunatic. Martin Sheen actually thinks hes the president from his show and Charlie is a conspiracy nut. Hugh Grant likes fat black prostitutes. Half of them spend their summers in Rehab clinics. The list goes on. One of the Baldwins said he'd move to France if Bush was reelected and hes still here. Same with Johnny Depp who told his kids to treat the USA like a broken toy, look at it, but leave it alone. He ended up staying here and hes suing because a building project is going to block his view. They are all MORONS! But who would make better actors than people with no real skill and nothing substantial to offer the world? They do a better job pretending to be other people because they're all shallow air heads already and can easily 'transform' into character. But who cares? They entertain us, so we let them be eccentric and pontificate their retarded world views.

I think the only actor who makes any sense is Samuel L. Jackson. Im pretty sure its him. Anyways he said something that actually made sense. It was mindblowing to hear an actor make sense.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
He needs to cut the scientology crap and stop being a dick against everything, but regardless I love some of his movies like Minority Report and soon hopefully MI:3. I'm not saying they couldn't have been done with another actor though.

top topics

join