It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maintenance time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I`d like to know if work or upgrades are making ATS erratic?

I just spent an hour and a half making a post and after hitting post it lagged until it expired loosing it all.

Last night i made a post and after hitting send it lagged as well,i hit stop before it expired then post again and again and again till it finally worked some ten minutes after the attempt only to be directed to the page i posted which had 4 posts instead of one making a big mess on the thread.

If this is due to work being done which i can only assume it is being that all other internet sites are working for me as normal,can you please advise when the best times to post on ATS is,as to avoid wasting time or making a mess and avoiding these frustrations.

I also only assume work is done on ATS during off peek times which coincide with some countries world time.If so can you tell me what times from ATS`s location are these works carried out,and i`ll stop from posting within it.

Any help appreciated.

PS damn i`m having a bad run,this will be my third attempt at sending this.Previous failed attempts were my fault,1st try i forgot to give it a title and lost the lot,second i hit a wrong button and lost the lot,fingers legs toes arms eye`s crossed on this attempt.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Just a little while ago, I got this...

So, it's either maintenance, as you suggested, or some other server problems.

But don't know myself, for sure. Have never seen this before.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Heavy traffic and intense CPU processing time has been overwhelming our database server.

All maintenance time/work is ALWAYS advised to the membership in advance so users will be aware of the necessary downtime.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Ok thanks for clearing that up Simon.I`ll guess the busiest times would be between 5-11pm US time and try and work out where that is compared to Australian time,and be more cautious during it,or until the server problems are sorted or 15 mil members are banned which ever comes first,assuming that doesn`t include myself lol

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
We've attempted to provision a new dual-Opteron server for our database server only to learn that our provider does not support these new high power servers in the data center we currently sit. So we're rapidly trying to think of a plan B. Anyone with the expertise to set up a high performance MySQL server cluster should send me a U2U.

-

Posted Via ATSmobile (BETA v0.3)

-

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
WOW sounds messy complicated and expensive SkepticOverlord i feel a bit ashamed of making the complaint,sorry i cant help i struggle with this little computer here.

Hope you guys get the help or the solution you need.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
WOW sounds messy complicated and expensive

You have no idea how much of an understatement that is turning out to be.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by gps777
WOW sounds messy complicated and expensive

You have no idea how much of an understatement that is turning out to be.

Have no fear SO!

We are a pretty hearty bunch, and can withstand a glitch or two...

Hope everything works out re the server upgrade

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
We're looking at the unfortunate situation of needing to move everything on all servers to a new data center in order to respond to our current needs, and prepare for future growth. It's a massive job.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Just let us know when it'll be down!

We'll come prepared.

Drinks on me, afterward!

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I suggest everyone stand back, it's going to get messy next week. The whole of ATS is going to have to be moved again thanks to provider issues.

When we moved to this data center they swore it was the latest and greatest, it would be able to handle our site right up to an including the launch of the TV Show and other growth initiatives.

Now they say they can't handle what we need a year or less later and all we've done is grow at our normal rate with no major shot in the arm like a TV Show would be!

Losers...

Springer...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Now they say they can't handle what we need a year or less later and all we've done is grow at our normal rate with no major shot in the arm like a TV Show would be!

Losers...

I can't help but laugh out loud at Springer's (as usual) subtilty.

Stand back kids, I'm going to be taking a kicking at the next board meeting for the monster that is ATS...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
We humans tend to rail against change at a personal level.
But some changes lead to growth and expansion of the entity.

This community has become an entity in some respects, and we need to grow or die.
A static condition isn't possible in the Universe as we know it, and I urge all members to strive against being quiescent.

I always find the changes that occur on the ATS boards to be interesting, if I agree with them or not, and it always presents new challenges.

Keep us posted Amigos....................

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
just make sure if its a big message that you click in the message area then do CTRL-A (You will see your message highlight) then a CTRL-C before clicking the post button just in case you lose it you will just paste (CTRL-V to paste)the message back in.

Why would a Dual CPU system be a problem -vs- a Single CPU system to your Data Center? Think maybe they just see your bandwidth going up and they just may not be able or willing to handle the load?

Pie

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Why would a Dual CPU system be a problem -vs- a Single CPU system to your Data Center?

We're on three dual-Xeon servers now. The newer dual/dual-core Opteron servers with SATA hard drives are only available in their new datacenter (the rack mounts are slighly different).

It looks like we'll be migrating to three of these.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
ok I respect that I am a moron with respect to pc stuff
but why on heavens earth havent you archived some threads? like zipped stuff pre 2004? Zip those older threads, still tag them as archived info and allow it to be accessed by people who will unzip it? So if random conducts search, a list of active threads + archived zipped stuff...

seems logical, but perhaps there would be too many issues in doing that? or in reality it can't be done?

every business archives 7 years of info (well in AU anyway... anything after that, gets binned! seems a bit extreme but those threads that are tagged and accessed remain but bin the rest that havent had a hit within a certain time frame.

Is that so insane? All I know is that at work, we zip everything at the end of each financial year. We can still access it only if we select and unzip.

You could even separate it, have archived button....

new topics

top topics

join