It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold & Heat, Darkness & Light, Good & Evil.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I got thinking about this when I read some survey by an energy commission and for some reason the Fire Brigade that said the majority of old people see cold as a physical entity e.g. they would say shut the door to keep the cold out, rather than the heat in. Funny the things that make you think sometimes.

I thought this was pretty obvious but found it not so when I brought it up with a couple of people, you probably get this but I'll (try to) explain it anyway. Cold is not a physical entity like heat, it is only the absence of heat. Think of a fridge, it sucks the heat out of the contents it doesn't 'add' cold. It gets warm when the sun comes up, and cold when it's gone. The source of heat is removed, so it gets cold.

It is the same for light and darkness. Darkness is only an absence of light. It gets dark because the sun goes down, not because the darkness rises.

I think this also applies in the spiritual sense, those who live in or are drawn to the 'darkness' are only suffering from an absence of the 'light' i.e. God.
I think the same can be said for good and evil in general, and is a proof that evil can never conquer good. Light can conquer darkness, but darkness cannot conquer light. Again, it gets dark because the sun goes down, not because the darkness rises, although it can and is seen and promoted that way by exponents of spiritual darkness.

In this way I see the growth of evil in the world is not proof of a growing darkness, only a growth in the absence of light and it gives hope as it shows that it is not that hard to defeat evil, however hard evil itself makes it out to be. The vast darkness of night seems impenetrable and unconquerable until one shining globe of light, tiny in relation to the expanse of the sky comes and banishes it with ease.

�Awake! For Morning in the Bowl of Night Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight!�

- Omar Khayy�m

In a slightly contradictory way, I also see it as proof of the phrase "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
As a room can be in darkness but it only takes a flick of the switch for it to become light, but if you don't flick the switch, it will remain dark.

Don�t think I explained that too well but any thoughts would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So...the universe in it's natural state...without any other stimuli...is cold and dark. Yep, that fits...

Using your analogy then...one could argue that evil is then the natural state...and that only the stimuli of something good, brings goodness....just as the sunrise brings warmth....

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Using your analogy then...one could argue that evil is then the natural state...and that only the stimuli of something good, brings goodness....just as the sunrise brings warmth

Hmmm... quite possibly. There was a time when man had no experience of God as we think of it, when everything was a matter of the survival of the fittest. The Bible says the first time around that man had with free will, he was too far to the dark side, so God destroyed the civilisations (flood, Sodom & Gomorrah etc) and started again.
It could be argued that the good we have in us is a product of our learning over time, past down through the ages.
If we had total anarchy people would revert to a barbaric state, caring for little but their own existence with no compunction in killing for survival or even for fun.

Good point, you got me thinking again...

join