It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Females Naturally Attracted to Darkness Scientifically and Technologically?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebookling
I have looked at the two (light/darkness) as opposite versus the typical opinion of dark is bad. As the bearer of light or eating from the tree of knowledge. Dark is a good think rest or serene but when you bring light into darkness you have trouble.
Light is often looked at knowledge but the knowledge it is reffered to, if taken to much one can surely go blind. You dig? Now back to the dark where I hide.

Heavy, man. Yes, good to point out dark as good for rest, to renew both body and spirit. And knowlwedge as light certainly can be blinding. Points to idea that something can be deemed both "good" and "bad". Depends on usage.
DYepes, interesting read. Seasonal Affective Disorder and need for light maybe, as well as interior decorating concerns. Learning to negotiate the dark side is good, if one finds him/herself there.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
I define light as the revelation of truth, earth-wise or heaven-wise.

I define darkness as lies, living for the second due to...

I am still scared of the dark.

WOW!

Well, I'm a woman and I hate lies, and the first thing I do every morning when I get up.....Open the curtains and let the light in.
I also hate evil.

Light, as the truth- I would say that I am drawn to light then, not darkness

Interesting question though, and I would guess that it probably quit a mix of men and women on both sides.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think it's odd that many people prefer to take offense to this question...

Has anyone heard (more than I) about the ancient pagan practices of the druids doing their rituals during the day and the priestesses doing theirs at night? I think it had something to do with women's cycles going with the cycles of the moon. I take pride in this idea, not only because I prefer the night to the day, but also because I like to think that we can enjoy the darkness more by seeing more good where it is not obvious.

(just a random thought) Also, long ago before much civilization, men needed to sleep at night so that they could hunt during the day (I'm assuming they didn't hunt at night, since night animals can see a lot better than we can) and women frequently had to get up in the middle of the night to feed their babies.

I consider myself a feminist, but only in the aspect that I do not allow men to think less of women because of our differences; these differences are why we both have so much power and balance each other in the world, like the sun and the moon do. I think it is an honor to represent darkness, which by no means indicates weakness or a lack of truth, but rather a power that is not always apparent to the casual observer, but is always there. Without the balance of power between darkness and light, men and women, night and day, there is no constant truth. Yin and yang must both exist to complete the balance of nature.

I know you could say that, scientifiically, darkness is simply the absense of light, so light is the only "real" thing, but that does not matter on the more spiritual level that I prefer to think of this topic. Thanks for reading my opinion. : )

p.s. these words come from a proud, happy pregnant woman who is learning more each day the wonders of being a woman, but at the same time wishes that she and her husband could switch places every now and then, so they could both experience both sides of the spectrum. It's all a balance, equal but very different. : )

[edit on 28-4-2006 by RoseCotton]

[edit on 28-4-2006 by RoseCotton]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I Too Love the Darkness

Darkness and Light should not be the question, which does who prefer.

Of main importance is how someone uses the darkness and the light. To steal a line from Babylon 5, "I am Grey, I stand between the darkness and the light."

For me, Light is "Vision, Order, and Justice". Light is about setting things down and organizing things into where they are. With light you can see and plan and structure. In the light, all truths are made clear.

But the Darkness is equally important, for many truths cannot be clear, and fall back to the shadows when light is cast upon them. Darkness is "Creativity, Chaos, and Insight". Darkness is about seeking something anew, something that cannot be seen, but perhaps can be felt with your fingertips. Darkness is full of false imaginations of the mind, but entwined there are some truths and some incredible wisdom. There are lies in the Darkness, which makes it dangerous. Anything can exist in the darkness that we can imagine for it. But there are some things that stay in the darkness unless we pull them into the light.

And thus is why balance is important. Not Yin-Yang, or Chi, or any of that - but simple balance.

For me, I love things of beauty, and I enjoy the comfort of the light...

But I love the darkness... for I can be free there to do as I will. I can create and destroy in the darkness. That is why I love gothic art. If you look at me, talk with me, then you see a man of the light. It is insight that allows you to see that the reason I can enjoy the light so much is because I have peered far into the darkness.

It is at the edge of reality and humanity and possibility that you will discover something new about yourself and the world around you. I travel to these lengths often, and I see a world different from the one that you see. I see a world full of grey shadows, everyone who tries to tell the truth whilst lying to protect themselves. It is the world we live in, so sad that it is.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So how does nocturnal vision by artifical means (cameras and goggles) play into this discussion?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
RoseCotton, you are a powerful woman, a woman who can contain both "sides", the female and male qualities. Truly powerful men do this , too; what passes for "power" in Washington nowadays is not true power, observe how unpowerful they are to Katrina, gas/energy crisis, Iraq crisis, etc. They focussed on "male" military regime change and did not have insight for "female" rebuilding what they destroyed.
Here's a thought, funeral attire in America is black, other cultures it's white. Note cultural color bias.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
As a man I will take pride in stating a team of men created Atomic Weapons.

A man was also the inventr of the first multi-shot firearm, Samuel Colt.Source

All the other gun-innovatiosn were also by men.

Explosives have existed for centuries, and the first human to experiment with gunpowder would have to be credited with that. Of course there is no way to confirm who that was. Most wars are fought by a majority man military and started by men. Men rule the majority of nations across the globe and are also responsible for most of the tyrannical dicatorship nations which bring unjust suffering and death to innocent citizens.

You also have to remember that women were not always allowed the same educational privileges that men were. They were also not privileged enough to work where-ever they wished. There was a place for the woman.... it was in the kitchen, cooking up dinner, and popping out babies. Heck, they weren't even allowed to vote until fairly recently!

So,... in essence, we can't really argue that women could not possibly have been capable of inventing such important inventions,...or of being guilty of slaughter, war, and so forth. Had they had the same education and privileges that men had,.... there's no way to say what they might have been capable of/responsible for. Having read a few of the old Nordic Sagas,... some of those women certainly did find a way to be responsible for lots of horriffic things. Had it not been for the twisted form of Christianity, women could/might have been mens' equals. Now that women (at least in the U.S.) have most of the rights and privileges that men have, I guess we'll find out just what they are capable of in the next couple hundred years.

I tend to believe females are victimized the most on this planet.

You're probably right. I don't think any one group of humans was ever so victimized.

[edit on 28-4-2006 by 2manyquestions]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
A culture's valuation of women. Here's a test. Who was the first woman in space? Who were the Mercury 13? The answers might surprise some people, young or old.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Colonel-Engineer Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova (March 6, 1937- ) was a Soviet cosmonaut and the first woman in space. She was on the Vostok 5 mission which launched on June 16, 1963, and orbited the Earth 48 times. The flight lasted 2.95 days (=70.8 hours). During her space mission, Tereshkova's radio call name was "Chaika," which means "seagull" in Russian.
The Vostok 5 spacecraft was recovered on June 19, 1963, in the Soviet Union. Tereshkova had parachuted from the spacecraft after earth's atmospheric re-entry; she landed about 380 miles northeast of Karaganda, Kazakhstan. Valentina Tereshkova was given the title "Hero of the Soviet Union," received the Order of Lenin, and was honored with the United Nations Gold Medal of Peace. She never flew in space again.

Tereshkova had been an expert in parachuting and a factory worker before she wrote to the Soviet space program, volunteering her service. She and the other candidates to be in the first woman in space were given extensive testing and interviews (beginning in December 1961). Tereshkova and Tatyana Torchillova were chosen in May 1963, to train for the Vostok 6 flight. Tereshkova was the final choice.

On November 3, 1963, Tereshkova married another cosmonaut (Andrian Nikolayev, who also went into space). They had a daughter, Elena Andrionovna, who was born in 1964; Elena (now a doctor in Russia) was the first child born to parents who both went into space. Tereshkova went on to graduate from the Zhuykosky Air Force Engineering Academy in 1969, and in 1976, earned a degree in Technical Science.

She flew so high, first!

[edit on 4/29/2006 by bodebliss]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Bodebliss, you got it. Now for the other search, who were the Mercury 13? Read about them, and you will wonder why we had to wait years for Eileen Collins to be a shuttle commander.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This thread just looked.. i dunno wierd or wrong.. does femals prefer darkness.. does males prefer light silly questions IMO. Especially when you ascribe attributes like evil and good to a color. (Or someones does prefer to call black and white non-colors).

If your asking about good and evil. you just can't draw a line and say all males are good and all females are evil.. thats just so stupid and ignorant.. i dont know what to say to this.

Im male and usually prefer black clothing. but if you have a poll wich colors most people are attracted to i think it would say red/blue (read some old poll somewhere with this result atleast.).

/leaves this thread since it seems both mindless and utterly ignorant.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join