It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Females Naturally Attracted to Darkness Scientifically and Technologically?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Are males naturally attracted to light scientifically and technologically? My 39 years of life experience point to the affirmative in both questions.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
Are males naturally attracted to light scientifically and technologically? My 39 years of life experience point to the affirmative in both questions.

I have to admit that I did a double-take when I went to respond to the question

are FEMALES naturally attracted to darkness scientifically and technologically?

it makes no sense....not really.....what do you mean by "darkness"?

and men being attracted to the light....what do you mean by "light"?

Are you trying to infer that women are evil and men are good? You have to give us more. What is it that you trying to "really" say?

[edit on 4/26/2006 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
On behalf of all women here, let me say:

SAY WHAT?????

Would you care to paraphrase that statement, explaining exactly what you mean by "darkness" and what you might mean by "scientifically" and how large your sample size is and what parameters you use to measure "darkness"?

And what you mean by "attracted to the light technologically."

Inquiring scientific minds would like to know. So would the skeptics. And the women. And the feminists, both male and female.

[edit on 26-4-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'd guess what is being asked is light/darkness as symbolized in the ying-yang symbol for example, where yang (i think) represents the dark side, the cool, dark, feminine side, whereas the masculine symbolism is the white side being bright and hot.

Are there other examples?

Is there any scientific basis to back it up?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
I'd guess what is being asked is light/darkness as symbolized in the ying-yang symbol for example, where yang (i think) represents the dark side, the cool, dark, feminine side, whereas the masculine symbolism is the white side being bright and hot.

I really hope that's not what they meant...

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I certainly hope this theory is more than correct. I have been told I look much better in the dark than in the light...

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies

Or it could be a rather dreadful religious concept that women are basically weak and evil and attracted to evil while guys are all good and upright and decent and wonderful and only get into trouble when some foul, weak, and demonic woman leads them astray (lest you think I'm exaggerating, this is a genuine belief of some sects within the past 3 centuries.)

Are there other examples?

We can come up with tons -- such as "I think I'm a great guy and every woman I know thinks I'm creepy and always goes for jerks so therefore women are all attracted to the Dark Side." The question is, what did the original poster think they meant?

Is there any scientific basis to back it up?

1) define dark
2) define light
3) define your sample of women (what ages? babies included? what demographic -- English speaking only, all women, women of technological societies, women of primitive tribal societies, grandmothers, nuns, women never married, girlgeeks, women mathemeticians, women politicians, nurses, doctors, teachers, lesbians... who?)
4) define what you mean by "technologically attracted to the light."
5) set up a randomized sample or an observation period where your test population comes in to contact with both "light" and "dark" and observe who choses what as their final answer.
6) do the same with a control group of men, matched for age and other demographics.
7) Ask both groups a set of open-ended questions about their choice and why they liked it. Tape the answers, review the tapes and take notes preferably with another researcher to make sure everyone's on the same wavelength.
8) run the stats (chi squares and Anovas) and see if there's a statistically significant difference.

And that's the scientific way to do it. (having done social research studies on human populations, I can say that yes, absolutely, this IS the way that it's done. Freakin' pain but you can get good answers.)

But, until the original poster clarifies some terms, we can't measure it.

[edit on 26-4-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Byrd, thank you for the penetrating questions.

I define light as the revelation of truth, earth-wise or heaven-wise.

I define darkness as lies, living for the second due to...

I am still scared of the dark.

Dae

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   

due to... the slightly insane estonian voles? Yes, thats gotta be it. Have ya been living on a radar station in Antartica for the past 39 years?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Definitely, Byrd, for scientific analysis--oooowheee a lot of work.! If it were YinYang it might fit. Oh, light as revelation-- then I remember the majority gender of the atom bomb scientists, hmmm, much darkness, secrecy. Now, scared of the dark calls for dream work/therapy (I'll leave it up to reader to decide term preference.) Adult fear of dark--a child might actually "see" a dragon in the room, but adults wrestle with their own personal dragons at night. What "dragons" are in the mind to be fought? I have heard adults cry out at night because of something they were involved with years ago. Slaying the dragon, although can be done only by that person, needs a weapon and armor, which might mean the advice of others.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Byrd, thank you for the penetrating questions.

I define light as the revelation of truth, earth-wise or heaven-wise.

I am still scared of the dark.

So you're saying that you think men are naturally attracted to the search truth, whereas women are attracted to lies and living in the moment?

Old habits/beliefs do die hard!
I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. Your beliefs are in line with historical conceptions of the feminine. Byrd gave a good example of it, and you've recreated an old dichotomy - men are of the mind, reason and intellect, and women are of the passions and body.

I would LOVE to see why you think this and how you can back it up.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If women are attracted to the darkness, it's probably because they realize they need to strike a balance for all those scaredy-cat men (and some women too). And by doing so, set a better example too. That's your yin and yang.

I left for work at 5am today and it was still night. I hate driving in the dark, but got out there and didn't think another thing of it. The sunrise was marvelous, it usually is.

Gotta love the night sky though, and the Lord DID create the heavens along with the earth.

The best thing to do is close your eyes for a few seconds in the dark. Then when you open them, the little light there is becomes so much more visible--even in the darkest darkness.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
GreatTech, how do you explain the female attraction to men then?

In the case of heterosexuality, what you say would mean the male of the species is the darkness? And men, being attracted to light, would mean that females are lightness?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
it has been my experiance that many woman are attracted to the bad boy type
and that men are attracted to the inocent good girl type

is this what this post is getting at?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
That would make sense... I'm a little different myself... I love a girl dressed in all black... but the typical guy does seem to be more attracted to girls wearing bright "innocent" colours.

Most women seem to be attracted to the "Tall dark stranger"... which is one of the reasons I tend to wear dark colors... and a black leather jacket, polished black shoes... heck, I even smoke black cigarrettes.

I find women pay alot more attention to me when I wear darker clothing... plus I feel comfortable in black... it goes with anything.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I love black clothes (I'm a girl). I like gothic fashion and wouldn't mind going goth myself
. But I disagree with ultratech that men are attracted to light, truth, and goodness and women are attracted to darkness, lies, and evil. What kindof stereotypical, sexist crap is that? Does ultratech go with 3rd century Catholic beliefs on women?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
GreatTech - Byrd has asked a number of pertinent questions to help you define your terms and establish the parameters of your argument for discussion.

As it stands, I'm hearing dark is lies; light is truth; dark is evil; light is good; dark is female; light is male.

How very retro.

desert skies - the yin yang symbol is derived from the I Ching, which is based on the binary code. The number zero is represented by yin, the female. Yin is always zero - symbolizing openness, receptivity and infinite possibility - or "passive" creative potential. The male yang represents the end of the set before the next transition (ie., 1, 3, 7, etc) and represents active directed creativity.

The I Ching is more a Taoist work and as such, is conceptually beyond the confines of Confucious' chauvinism.

[edit on 26-4-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If you take a large group of women and a large group of men, you will find views and attitudes are similar by economic level.

The only thing that I've found is woman like the energy that men produce to do difficult and sometimes dangerous things and men like the home-making capabilities of women.

They accentuate each other to the greater good.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Byrd, your scientific method seems sound. One problem I have with defining "dark" and "light" is to separate how the words "dark" and and "light" sound and look from human color perception. A person's color perception might be swayed by its sound or by the characters used to spell it. The possible inseparability of these two factors from color perception may severely devalue any scientific method.

I do know that we all have to learn to love all colors.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
GreatTech, you have not answered any questions, and have only answered a question with a question ("How are you defining these colours?" with "How does anyone define colours?").

I can only imagine that your purpose is not to enlighten, but to sow discord!

The Truth is more important than that. The Truth is that people are their own selves. If there is a real psychological difference, it is not the fault of women, but the fault of the culture - a culture that tries to make women superficial, and a culture that tries once again to make women possessions!

At first the sexual revolution was about giving people freedom to do who they wanted, instead of waiting for marriage. But then it turned sour, and it's given women this idea that "freedom" is "submission" - that to be free they HAVE to have sex with any man they want. That is not freedom.

But that is only the culture that has done this.

Otherwise there are many women who enjoy the search for the truth, to reflect inwards and think and question and ponder. Perhaps it is expected more of men, and frown on for women - but it seems to become more and mroe frowned on everywhere. Children who are "deep", philosophical, and who try to answer the big questions are deemed wierd and are estranged by fellow school-mates (I was so shocked with a guy I was working with at 18 during a night-shift when questioning the existance and purpose of God, he went "Do you actually think about these things?" and I said "Yes, of course... doesn't everyone?" and he said "No, I usually just think of girls." - you would not believe how heavy my heart felt at that moment).

Perhaps the women you have met have not been philosophical, but have been superficial.

There have been a few that I have met - but only as many as the men that I have met that also discuss it openly.

Women tend to be much more reserved about their beliefs, for reasons that I can only assume have to do with socially expected conduct that was wrongfully ingrained in their minds at an early age by their peers and friends. A man who is open about his beliefs can draw out the beliefs of a women, and the women all too often love talking and listening and thinking in an atmosphere that finally encourages it instead of one that attempts to banish it.

So please, give us clear answers AND reasoning AND explanation of your post! As they say in physics and math "SHOW YOUR WORK!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join