It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next for air travelers: Standing room only?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Will you stand for less room on flights?
Airbus floats idea of SRO 'seating' to Asian carriers

Airbus has been quietly pitching the standing-room-only option to Asian carriers, though none has agreed to it yet. Passengers in the standing section would be propped against a padded backboard, held in place with a harness, according to experts who have seen a proposal.

anyone else read this the other day?

airbus came out later and denied it. let's hope seatting never comes to this though

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I hate air travel at the best of times, but I just could not stand to be ina window seat and have two others to my left or right.... and then being forced to stand for an entire 24 /36 hr long haul flight...omg this has got to be an Aprils fool joke printed a bit late...standing on an air liner brings forth all sorts of problems and saftey issues!!

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Yes, MadGreebo, I heard on the news that safety was why they dropped the idea. Before seeing the drawing, I thought maybe it was like a metro bus, with people hanging onto bars or straps, or would it be like the old Disneyland ride where you stood against a railing while you watched a big screen. What a ride in this! I sure hope it's a late joke. What would be next--Amtrak bringing in cattle cars?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
I hate air travel at the best of times, but I just could not stand to be ina window seat and have two others to my left or right.... and then being forced to stand for an entire 24 /36 hr long haul flight...omg this has got to be an Aprils fool joke printed a bit late...standing on an air liner brings forth all sorts of problems and saftey issues!!

These standing seats were of course only intended for short flights, up to 3 hours. It however was only a design study anyway, quickly dropped (at least for now) following the negative public reaction.

[edit on 26/4/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
If i stand in a que for ten minutes i get all fighty and bitchy....let alone next to a syinking sweaty stranger for £ hours!!!

omg that would be nasty.... 3 hours on your feet you'd arrive and want to die...lol get cramp or faint your F######!!

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You know what's funny about this, the people who designed this probably sat around designing this. Or did they have a mockup at the water cooler or in the lunchroom? I think the longest flight for this would be Lanai to Oahu. And no laps on which to perch a fidgety child? Hey, how about a compromise--passengers sit on their luggage.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
some one drew up the picture. i know it says new york times, but i don't think they drew it.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo

Here what it will look like.

www.canada.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
You know what's funny about this, the people who designed this probably sat around designing this. Or did they have a mockup at the water cooler or in the lunchroom? I think the longest flight for this would be Lanai to Oahu. And no laps on which to perch a fidgety child? Hey, how about a compromise--passengers sit on their luggage.

The nice thing is that no one is forced to buy the standing tickets. If people want to pay regular price for the sitting tickets they would be welcome to. People like me who think that it's better to stand for up to 8 hours than sit (and risk getting a stroke) would be happy to have the option. Plus it has the other nice bonus of costing less. This is a situation where the free market can work. Standing "seats" can be made quite safe. I don't understand the fuss.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
OMG, PopeyeFAFL, I think I saw that plane being tested out here!

Oh, yes, Orca71, my brother-in-law did develope a clot on a crossing, but how many elderly people are going to stand for even 5 hours? And his seat was already a free markest design.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

www.canada.com...

a picture like that has to be shared

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Airline Companies should be working toward making there paying customers nice & comfortable. Not cramming as many people into a plane as humanly (or otherwise) possible.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Airline Companies should be working toward making there paying customers nice & comfortable. Not cramming as many people into a plane as humanly (or otherwise) possible.

I think it's a great idea. Would you see it on a transatlantic flight? No, but how about short 1/2 hour journeys. Newquay to Heathrow for example here in England. I have no problem standing on a bus, a tube, or a train for 1/2 an hour, why should planes be different?

[edit on 2/5/06 by Implosion]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
I think it's a great idea. Would you see it on a transatlantic flight? No. but how about short 1/2 hour journeys. Newquay to Heathrow for example, here in England. I have no problem standing on a bus, a tube, or a train for 1/2 an hour, why should planes be different?

maybe its fine is a Few places, but most of the US...not gonna happen.

Actually thinking about it more, It would be smart for airlines to have like the last isle be these type of chairs/backrests, just to see how they sell. If they are like 20% cheaper then sitting, and used on short flights only, I bet they would fill up.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

I think it's a great idea. Would you see it on a transatlantic flight? No. but how about short 1/2 hour journeys. why should planes be different?

you bet nothing like helping to become a projectile like standing.

what do you do about people who have back problems and can only afford those standing seats?

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I wish they would build bunk racks for at least some of the seats in coach on long flights. If they made the bunks like ones found on a warship I bet it could work.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The standing seat actually looks more comfortable than being crammed in a regular coach seat, especially for a big guy like me, my legs and feet just don't fit, a lot better than the fetal position. I'd go for stacked bunks, standing, hell, even being chained to the floor cattle train style would be better than sitting in the torture devices that pass for seats now.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I bet this was the result of a bet at a christmas party or something

Wonder did the guy get the snog off the secretary or whatever the dare was for

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
maybe we can just shoe horn people in. or stack them in like cord wood. i for one wouldn't want to stand. it's bad enough sitting in coach, which is why i always upgrade, but it would be worse in those standing seats

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
The standing seat actually looks more comfortable than being crammed in a regular coach seat, especially for a big guy like me, my legs and feet just don't fit, a lot better than the fetal position. I'd go for stacked bunks, standing, hell, even being chained to the floor cattle train style would be better than sitting in the torture devices that pass for seats now.

I feel your pain as I'm tall too

This is a good website to check out before you fly as you can compare the room various airlines seats provide

www.seatguru.com...

[edit on 2-5-2006 by warpboost]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join