It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 4 leading Assault Rifle Series: AK's, M-16's, FN's, and H&K

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Yes
Hk makes the G3 and they do have a newer .308 made for SCAR competition...

Oh ya, I saw one of those, they are NICE. I assume they come with 20 round mags, right?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno

AK Series: Possibly the ultimate 'Assault Rifle'. Based on the German MP44 this gun has made its way round the world and is still a sucsess

M-16 Series: Lightweight and versatile, Sucsessor to the AK series? It served US troops since Vietnam and now has lead to more advanced variants such as M-4s n so on

FN Series: FN has made some decent rifles over the years with the FAL as thier lead rifle, It was popular round African/South American countries in the 1960s and
still is today, Was licenced built in Britain/Commonwealth countries but only in semi auto.

H&K Series: Derived from the Spanish CETME rifles, The H&K series uses a Roller Locking Delayed Blowback not like the three mentioned above. The H&K series have been popular with SWAT and SF Units around the world. The only problem with them is that they are quite expensive.

First of all, the AK isn't based on the MP-44. Kalashnikov got ideas from looking at the weapon, but it is NOT based on it.

Second, the company that produces M-16s is COLT. Or maybe a new company. M-16 is not a manufacturer, its a weapon

Third, THE M-16 IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A SUCCESSOR TO THE AK SERIES! THE AK SERIES IS BETTER, EVEN THE AK47 IN SOME SITUATIONS!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Where did he say that "M-16" would be a company? He speaks of the M-16 SERIES to describe all the offsprings of the AR15 (would be more appropiate to speak of the AR15 family though). And you yourself are referring to the "AK series" later on. I´d say if you look it up you will find that AK neither is a manufacturer. BTW, the current government contract is with FN.

And yes, if anything the M-16 is the successor of the AK when we are speaking of military and LE relevance. More and more countries and institutions who formerly bought Russian (or copies) are switching to western and specifically American gear. I know that this is hard to swallow - keeping in mind your usual rethorics in regards to anything concerned with Russia. But that is a FACT.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24
And yes, if anything the M-16 is the successor of the AK when we are speaking of military and LE relevance. More and more countries and institutions who formerly bought Russian (or copies) are switching to western and specifically American gear.

I wouldn't say that the AR15 series is the 'sucessor'- the AK was designed for your peasant armies, your poor and educated types who would be thrown into human-wave assaults in an effort to close with the enemy. So, they were designed to be cheap to produce, rugged, and effective if pointed in the general direction of the enemy, with accuracy and ergonomics far, far down the list of priorities. The AR was designed for shooting small animals on Air Force bases by a man indulging in hard drugs (or so it would seem). It was meant as a target rifle, with an semi-experimental round (at the time) for guarding installations where the guards would have lots and lots of time to shiny them purdy, fragile black rifles. Both were designed to different specs, in different times, for different functions.

If the AR can be said to function.

To call the AR series of weapons anything beyond finnicky, ill-designed and mediocre ranges from elaborations on the truth to outright lies. The reason why so many countries are adopting it tends to be because:

A) They are involved in extensive operations with the US (like Canada), and want ease of supply

B) They are trying to bring their forces to NATO standard, and quite frankly no weapon is quite mass-produced in 5.56 like the M16

C) They receive benefits from buying American.

Oh, FAL. How you are missed in fair Canuckistan.

DE

[edit on 27-7-2006 by DeusEx]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How much does an HK G3 usually costs here in the U.S.?

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Are the leading Assault Rifle Series 4?no , it is only 1.!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The M16 requires more maintenance than other rifles because when the rifle is fired gas is routed through a tube into the bolt chamber where gases hit the bolt blowing it back working the action. This causes excess fouling in the chamber of the rifle. When the rifle was first put into service the wrong type of powder was used in the amo causing the rifles to jam constantly. Also tight tolerances between the bolt and the receiver cause dirt and grit to jam the rifle. With modern clean powders and dry lubricants the rifle can be very reliable with moderate cleaning. The M16 has an 8 locking lug rotating bolt making it very accurate for an assault rifle.

Eugene Stoner the inventor and designer of the M16 later developed the AR180 which used the same very accurate 8 locking lug bolt but with a gas piston and bolt carrier system that moves along guide rods rather than a tightly fit receiver like the M16 making it more reliable less prone to jamming due to sand and grit. However Military contracts were already in place for the M16. world.guns.ru...

The HK g36 was designed using a similar system as the AR180 with a 7 locking lug bolt and guide rod bolt carrier system along with a gas piston. world.guns.ru...

Also the new HK 416 uses a receiver and bolt system very similar to the M16 but using a gas piston instead of the gas tube system which means a very accurate rifle but more reliable than the M16. world.guns.ru...

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I have barely any knowledge on rifles, but it's pretty interesting.

Could anyone tell me why the Diemaco C7 and C8 are not to be considered as best rifle?

Caliber: 5.56x45 mm NATO (.223Rem)
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 1020 mm
Barrel length: 510 mm
Weigth: empty, 3.3 kg; loaded, 3.9 kg
Magazine capacity: 30 rds

world.guns.ru...

-better plastic furniture that wont break in arctic weather (like in the North)

-hammer forged barrell which gives a bit more accuracy.

That's all I can remember!

www.militaryphotos.net...

[edit on 22-8-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Because they're just pimped ARs and they're not even the best ones in market, for example Oberland Arms makes a lot better version... (Diemacos are better than original Colts, but the difference is pretty small)

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by huws
Are the leading Assault Rifle Series 4?no , it is only 1.!!!!!!!!!!

that is concealed user shot system (CUWS)

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
How about Ak-101 types?
And might as well compare the FN FNC, Steyr AUG and SIG 552/553..
There are complications relying on certain issues..
so we are gradually scaling down on certain equipment (not more than 1/3 or 20% of inventory ) and increasing other brands
Basically a field carbine that can also close quarters combat

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
What about L85A2???
In 2005 or 06 it beat M4,M16,G36,AN-94,HK417,M468 and Ak-74 in trials. it was the most reliable rifle with 16,000 shots fired with out a stoppage. it was also the second most accurate with HK417 beating it.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
There are reliability problems.
there's some environmental complications?
Seems bulky and heavy.
There possibly some problems with CQB

[edit on 27-4-2008 by SnowWhite]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Reliability is no longer an issue with the SA80. The current cleaning regimens have sorted them out (I know this becaise I'm cleaning the sand/dust/other assorted pieces of Afghanistan out of mine at the minute). Accuracy is better than most assault rifles on the market (most British combat infantrymen consider anything less than 300m as point blank). It is far from bulky, as it is about 2/3 the length of an M16 yet still has a 20" barrel. There are configurations coming into service with quad picitinny (sp) rails on the foregrip and ACOG sights, making them even more useful.

As for CQB, the weapon is great. It is short and very instinctive to shoot, making close range snap shooting a piece of cake. The current SUSAT sight isn't great for this, but the ACOG is being introduced with a reflex sight mounted on top to address this.

It is heavy and it can't be fired left handed though, but with training and experience this is easily overcome.

I'm not saying it's the best rifle out there, but I'd happily choose it over a M16, and I've been happy to trust my life to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join