It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's real issue with immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Awesome article describing feelings that the no one wont touch, because it strikes at the root of the immigration issue

A century ago, immigrants, who unfortunately often experienced discrimination upon arrival _ think the Irish and Jews in particular _ typically assimilated and gratefully adopted America as their home within a generation, or two at most.

That's too often no longer the case. Now, instead of becoming Americans _ in particular, learning our language _ immigrants, including illegal immigrants, march to demonstrate their "grievances," including their opposition to suggestions that they be required to obey American immigration laws.

www.capitolhillblue.com...

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/26/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You know, first of all, i have to say this. I am of hispanic descent and in no way do i wish to put down mexicans. I wish i didnt have to do it. It's not a putdown, its fact.

YOU cannot go to any nation on earth, INCLUDING Mexico without proper documentation.

YOU cannot be illegaly here and expect the government to give you handouts.

FURTHERMORE, If and when you DO become citizens-...You will no longer be willing to work for the super-low wages

What gives Mexicans the right to come here and claim they do not need papers, because they work and pay taxes and bla bla bla.....nothing.

They either speak out like this out of sheer ignorance or who the h## do they think they are?

I wish they would stop appearing on TV interviews making their ignorance known to the world.

As a hispanic, i get insulted when they irrationaly go on and on about their "right"

Get your documents, then you will have your "rights"

Now, that my rant is over, i will still stand behind them recording the American National Anthem in Spanish.
There's nothing wrong with that at all.

They(Mexicans) are very good people. I know. I lived among them in Arizona. I wish they would stop giving Hispanics a bad name though.

They also work extremely hard for their money.
They need to smarten up.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Not cool at all- the people coming over are just trying to make a better lives for them and there kids. The people that come over are from third world contries- think about it- for ever one dollar they make over here it equals ten of theirs- the exrat money is sent back to support other family members. If you are crying over McDonals and strawberry picking jobs- Then you have issues- Sorry freind! you need to step up you're education leve. Don't Be Stuck On Stupid!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It’s not only the Mexicans that are rallying against Immigration laws, its all immigrants and their descendants. The media is focusing on the Latinos due to their numbers. I would suggest doing your homework and not letting the Media give you Cliff notes. Just like our forefathers, there are people from all walks of life coming to the States to make a humble and honest living. How can anyone deny there fellow brethren that right? The Immigration laws need to be reformed and simplified for all that are looking for a better quality of life; it’s that simple.

[edit on 26-4-2006 by Marz]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It is not only the Mexicans, but they are the vast mayority. Every country has imigration policies. Lets follow them.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Illegal immigration has been allowed by government and encouraged by business. Many workers who come here nowadays know they will never become citizens; money is sent home (great business btw), and houses are still kept up in the mother country. The grandmother who found a job in fast food to supplement retirement no longer has that job. More education? In reality only about one-fifth of jobs requires college, and those jobs are increasingly being outsourced. High paying middle-class jobs have disappeared over the years along with the middle class. And don't think home refinancing will improve this situation! In economics if you have a large pool of workers willing to work for less (whether unemployed or illegal) wages go down.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I am a husband and father of two who is looking to immigrate to a new country. I have no real skill or education, nor does my wife. We don't want to bother learning a new language so all businesses and government agencies will have to make sure that all documentation and signage is in my native tongue. I will need medical care and welfare assistance until we find work. Upon obtaining jobs we fully anticipate sending upwards of 50% of our income back to my relatives in our homeland. I will proudly display my countries flag while in your country so you'll just have to grin and bear it, I'm affraid. My wife is expecting another child so he or she will be a naturalized citizen and will secure our right to remain in your country indefinitely. Then after just ten years of paying into a social security system through substandard wage I will be entitled to full retirement benefits even though my contributions won't even cover 1/4 of my dividend.

Any takers???????????????.....Calling all countries!!!!!!!!!!

Helloooooooooooooooo ?????????

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Sad deal,I've been paying Social Security since I was 16,I was injured on a government project,I inquired about SS disability,I was told pretty much too bad so sad,teach me to be a tax paying citizen

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by YIAWETA
I am a husband and father of two who is looking to immigrate to a new country. I have no real skill or education, nor does my wife. We don't want to bother learning a new language so all businesses and government agencies will have to make sure that all documentation and signage is in my native tongue. I will need medical care and welfare assistance until we find work. Upon obtaining jobs we fully anticipate sending upwards of 50% of our income back to my relatives in our homeland. I will proudly display my countries flag while in your country so you'll just have to grin and bear it, I'm affraid. My wife is expecting another child so he or she will be a naturalized citizen and will secure our right to remain in your country indefinitely. Then after just ten years of paying into a social security system through substandard wage I will be entitled to full retirement benefits even though my contributions won't even cover 1/4 of my dividend.

Any takers???????????????.....Calling all countries!!!!!!!!!!

Helloooooooooooooooo ?????????

WELL SAID!! I applaud you!

and no other country in thie HISTORY of the WORLD has had 11-20 MILLION illegal or (legal for that matter) immigrants descend on them in such a short period of time. They say SSI is going broke in 20 years. What happends when 11-20 million more people try to tap into it that have paid little to nothing for it? They are bankrupting every taxpayer based program there is in America and they feel entitled to it. They aren't. Infact it's AGAINST the 14th amedment. It's illegal!

I feel bad for their plight. But they need to do it legally and show more respect for America, her flag and her people. If the illegal immigration continues at the rate it is going we will be another Third World country in 20-30 years.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
MawiStacey,

That is precisely my point. I hate to sound mean and i felt bad after i posted it.

But, there was a Mexican girl on one of the newshows, and she thought it was their right to be here without papers.

That really peeved me off.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
DG. I couldn't agree more. It's a wonderful thing that all these people want to come to our country and better their lives, I mean absolutely wonderful. However, I think they should also be doing it legally.

I get so angry when pondering this issue. I try to tell myself; "Self, maybe they just don't know any better." Then I see one of these illegal immigrants on TV saying that they deserve the same rights as those of us who were either born here, or did it the right way. That's when self gets very angry.

I reserve most of my anger, however, for those enablers out there who desire all these undocumented, read illegal, workers. Big business, and small, not to mention the government whose willful blindness has ascerbated this catastrophe in the making. Congress and the President would do well to rethink their positions on this issue...they won't...too much money is changing hands via the political actions groups and lobbyists in Washington. Meanwhile...back in Arizona, or Texas, or Washington, or Iowa, or New Mexico, (get the drift?)...the infrastructure of those states and more, are being buried under the avalanche.

I pride myself in being a tolerant, fairly understanding person. But this willful disregard for the stated will of the people, over and over and over, by our government has begun to chafe, and will be reflected on my ballot come the fall, and in my questions to prospective Congress-critters later this summer.

Where do these illegal aliens get this sense of entitlement from anyway? Does anyone have an answer to this for me? Apparently, I just don't get it. Wouldn't be the first time, but anyway, someone?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If there is anyone to blame, it’s not the immigrants; it’s the Federal Government. The Immigration laws need a drastic overhaul. The process of becoming an American citizen needs to be somewhat less then a pain in the ass. I’m sure people that have gone through the process could justify my last sentence.

Is this current issue really any different than past Immigration adventures America has faced in the past particularly circa late 19th & 20th century with Asian and European Immigrants? I’m willing to bet, they did not all come here legally. To think otherwise is marginal ridiculous.

Their taking our jobs!

Really… How come I have never seen an American born person working the fields and coming home with a sore back? Listen, if the Immigrants did not come North; the Strawberries would. Are these so called uneducated Immigrants too much competition for you? The ladder for success is far more difficult for them.

They create gangs and graphitti!

Come on… Gangs and Taggers come in every color and shape. From experience, I can say that I suffered more by the hands of white gangs then any other racial group gang (i.e. VPL & HPL).

It’s too late for Southern California!

Do Americans really think that since they took over California the Latin population would just vanish? Latinos have always been here and will continue to do so. California is better off with them than without. Since day one, Latino’s have had a major influence in the California culture. Just take a look at our city names; Los Angeles, San Diego and the list goes on. It’s not The Angels or Saint Diego, now is it?

The Immigrants are taking our tax dollars?

The money in question is a small fraction of the massive amounts of frivolous spending on the behalf of the Government. The list would be endless. David Copperfield and Chris Angel combined have nothing on the slide of hand tactics used by our very own Government. We as Americans need to look unto ourselves and stop passing the blame. We will get farther by doing so.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey

WELL SAID!! I applaud you!

and no other country in thie HISTORY of the WORLD has had 11-20 MILLION illegal or (legal for that matter) immigrants descend on them in such a short period of time. They say SSI is going broke in 20 years. What happends when 11-20 million more people try to tap into it that have paid little to nothing for it? They are bankrupting every taxpayer based program there is in America and they feel entitled to it. They aren't. Infact it's AGAINST the 14th amedment. It's illegal!

I feel bad for their plight. But they need to do it legally and show more respect for America, her flag and her people. If the illegal immigration continues at the rate it is going we will be another Third World country in 20-30 years.

The rallies shown on TV have been mostly American Flags on display with a few from other countries. The same media showed Americans burning Mexican flags; I’ve yet to see the Immigrant rallies burn an American flag. Do you have a problem with having pride in your heritage? How is that disrespecting America? Many heritages are America. Have we all forgotten our own Immigrant descent?

The failing Social Security problems have nothing to do with Immigration. Quit passing the buck… The Social Security system was doomed from the start.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Marz.

The Federal gov't aren't the ones swarming across the borders. Illegal aliens are. I will agree with you that the immigration laws as they currently stand do require a drastic makeover. On that we agree.

Taking jobs that American's won't do? Why do people keep saying that, when it is so patently false? The reason LEGAL Americans might not wish to take these jobs is because of the slave wages being paid. That is the only reason. My experiances say just that.

Yes, yes, gangs and taggers come in every color. MS13 which, according to law enforcement officials of my aquaintance, is the most dangerous of the latino criminal gangs in America. Of the members arrested in my area, SE Washington state, at least 50% are undocumented, read illegal.

I am sorry for your bad experiances with white gangs. They are as scummy as the rest.

Taking our tax dollars in that so many counties in the most affected states are rapidly going broke dealing with the influx of illegal aliens. Emergency rooms are required to care for anyone walking in the door, and when the illegals do not pay, who do you really think does? The taxpayer, that's who. When you are talking about a county with a voting population of say between 20 to 25 thousand people, a small tax base no matter how you look at it, a million dollars might as well be a trillion dollars. It's a matter of proportion, not raw amounts.

No one, well anyone with half a brain cell, is advocating the removal of latinos from southern california. The latino influence on the culture of California goes back over 500 years. It's a wonderous thing, not a bad thing.

The United States can not successfully deport between 10 to 25 million illegals. Too cost prohibitive. But we can, and should, close our borders, making it as close to immpossible for people to sneak across as possible.

You want to come to the United States to live, work, and raise a family? Great, come on over. Lots of rooms with a view. I ask only...that you do it legally. Wait your turn. If you can't wait, try fixing your own country.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
They need to make it mandatory, for any illegal alien to report to some government office- They need to emphasize that all they have to do is check in and they will not be arrested.
Give them a 6 month period in which to become accountable. Then the government could provide them the proper paperwork, etc.

THOSE who do not come forward would then be prosecuted if they do not meet this arrangement.

Close the borders. The Mexican government should be held accountable to inform their people NOT to do anything foolish, and brake any more laws. Set up the proper offices in that country (if they dont already have them) to file paperwork in order to be able to emigrate.

I dont see why it cant be done my way.
Seriously, my plan can work.

So say out of 16 million illegals, 14 million comply and 2 million dont. Then they are just looking for 2m!
Simple.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It's not hard to put some clarity on this issue.

Why do we have illegal aliens? For two reasons.

1. Conditions in Latin American nations leave many people in grinding poverty; and

2. The number of legal immigrants on work visas allowed into the U.S. is substantially less than both the demand for immigrant labor and the number of people who want to come into the U.S. to work.

I actually think U.S. policy is largely (though not entirely) responsible for #1. But let's set that aide for the moment, and concentrate on #2.

The U.S. government could bring the demand for immigrant labor and the number of work visas issued into agreement by issuing more work visas. Simple enough, right? If they did that, the illegal immigrant problem would vanish.

BUT --

The problem with this idea is that an immigrant on a work visa, i.e. a legal immigrant, has certain rights under the law. They must be paid legal minimum wage, workplace safety laws must be honored, and so on. By hiring undocumented workers instead, businesses can obtain labor much more cheaply than if they follow the rules.

SO --

Since these businesses have an inappropriate level of influence over government policy, the federal government will not issue more work visas. Instead, they enforce existing immigration laws inadequately. Penalties for hiring undocumented workers are too low to discourage the practice, and policing of the border is left inadequate to stop the flow of immigrants, I believe deliberately.

If you want to find the root of the problem, don't focus on the immigrants themselves. They're just pursuing their own interests in the best way available to them.

Focus instead on the businesses that hire them, and the corrupting influence they have over the government. That's where the problem lies.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Just raise the minimun wage to $7.00 and deny Illegals worker rights. They'll stop coming in droves. It will be back to a trickle legally.......NEXT!

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by YIAWETA
Just raise the minimun wage to $7.00 and deny Illegals worker rights. They'll stop coming in droves. It will be back to a trickle legally.......NEXT!

I don't think you get it. Sure, that would be the intelligent thing to do, along with enforcing immigration law properly, but it's politically impossible as long as our government is being bought and sold by those who profit from cheap labor.

The problem is one of will, and of corruption.

top topics

join