It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Bans Coverage of Returning War Dead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My dad served for 28 years with the PPCLI and he says that to put the flag down like the Liberals did is just not right . You talk to the vets of Canada they will tell you that we honour our Vets on November 11 . Only you whining liberals would put the flag downfor the fallen everytime we lose one of our brave soldiers . If the liberal government would have given our soldiers the equipment they need and not make a joke out of our military we would have less soldiers killed . If we were to lower the flag everytime one of our soldier dide or were killed in combat the flag would never be raised . I blame the Liberals for the problems we have in this country .

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hey, some of those 'whiny Liberals' are very nice people who care about our soldiers very much.

Make sure you blame the right Liberal PM, Pearson, way back in the 60's. Military spending compared to the GDP remained relatively unchanged during Chretien's reign, as compared to Mulroney's.

In fact, Kim Campbell, Conservative, and John Turner, Liberal, are the the only two PM's we've had in the last 40 years that didn't cut back on military spending. Of course, only being in office for less than 6 months, neither of them really got the chance.

Admire the beauty of the Fiscal Reference Tables from the Department of Finance. Table 9 in particular.

Is it really necessary for Canada to become just as polarized as the US?

[edit on 5-5-2006 by Duzey]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Is it really necessary for Canada to become just as polarized as the US?

No, not at all AND we shouldn't be ashamed of our contributions to the world either. This is CANADA, not the States. Why are we now playing the same game as the US administration? Why do we feel the need to lessen the attention and respect for those that have given their all to that cause? Those that gave the most should have the respect of the ENTIRE country. Harpers Canada? Hmm, don't want to go there. Why? He didn't send them.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The opposition in parliament are just spinning this to win points everyone. Remember when they were in power they wanted no involvement in the war at all now, they want to make every vicitm a hero and martyr just like the left is doing in the US. They are playing with people's emotions for their own benefits that is all. A cheap trick.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
The opposition in parliament are just spinning this to win points everyone. Remember when they were in power they wanted no involvement in the war at all now, they want to make every vicitm a hero and martyr just like the left is doing in the US. They are playing with people's emotions for their own benefits that is all. A cheap trick.

I don't think you have a clue as to what this is going on here. Theopposition(liberals), as they are now, were the ones that sent the troups to Afghanistan. Take your bigotted opinion, or cheap trick, elsewhere. It doesn't play outside of the States. M'kay?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I certainly hope you don't expect me to be able to give the definitive answer on all those questions.

There is a need to change back for one simple reason, the Liberals are EVIL and therefore any policy they had while in power must be overturned. That and the fact that they don't want us to notice our fallen. :shk:

I'm really disappointed by this whole thing. Flag up or at half-staff isn't the issue for me. My problem is that, for some strange reason, our current crop of politicians think that Canada is a bunch of babies that can't handle the fact that our soldiers are dying. I don't want these things hidden away, I want to know about them so I can give the fallen the respect they deserve and honour their contributions.

Thanks for the confidence in Canadians, Mr. Prime Minister.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I was not disagreeing with you Duzey, what you said is exactly how I feel. Remember and respect these people, don't sweep them under the rug. It's not our way.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
A soldier dies. then at least offer some respect to his memory and his/hers relatives for the Country they died for.

What the hell is this all about? Have the Government forgot that it was they who sent these soldiers into combat? Obviously so. This makes me sick to the stomach.

I hope they sleep easy at night

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I know that, oh favourite mod of mine. Very rarely do we disagree on anything.

Especially when it comes to the partisan bickering that has overcome the US and threatens to ruin our traditional Canadian way of hating all politicians equally.

Canada doesn't just cut and run, we carry through with our commitments. Any politician who thinks we are going to have huge protests in the street and demand our exit doesn't deserve to be PM of this country. They obviously have no grasp of our history and no understanding of the Canadian way.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
A soldier dies. then at least offer some respect to his memory and his/hers relatives for the Country they died for.

What the hell is this all about? Have the Government forgot that it was they who sent these soldiers into combat? Obviously so. This makes me sick to the stomach.

I hope they sleep easy at night

No Eddie, this is all politics. The gov't that's in power, precariously I might add, are not the ones that sent them. This BS about minimizing media exposure is a gov't that says they're committed to a better military but this move really tells me that they have NO clue. To minimize a soldiers sacrifice? That's a shame on any gov't.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
All this has been about politics. Full stop.

The Government sent them. They died. Then honor them. Its easy.

Maybe the Canadian Government should dig a bit deeper, and realize it was them who committed the troops to War. Is that going to happen? I doubt it.

Governments are Governments , and they will not admit to doing wrong.

This is wrong, and i hope the families involved can do something about it.
If a member of the Canadian Government lost a son/ daughter due to combat, then you can bet this ban would never have happened. But then again, have any member of the Canadian Government got any relatives serving in the Gulf? Or lost anyone to the War against terror? I have no facts, but i very much doubt it.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Most people in the US aren't even aware that we have a 'Rememberance Day' let alone this new government is following their protocol.

Funerals are private affairs for many people, some mourn differently than others.
To some, the issue of a public funeral is abhorrent, to others it is a way of closure.

This thread is difficult as it covers two very different issues, one the flag, the other the media.

The Flag Issue: so far on this thread I have asked for some info regarding the soldier who was killed in Afghanistan in November 2005, when the Liberals were still in power, why was the PEACE TOWER FLAG...NOT lowered when he returned home.

The only impresion I get from some of the posts here is that you really don't understand the loyalty that is between the fallen soldiers of our past, and the fallen of our future.

I feel sickened by watching people preach how it is their right to see the absolute END and having no regard for while they were living.

And yeah you can all say it, but most people in this Country didn't give a # about what was going on in Afghanistan until somebody died

The Liberal government did such a good job of placating Canadians that we didn't go to war with Iraq that our soldiers in Afghanistan were all but forgotten until now.

Peacekeping my ass, maybe some of you fellow Canadians should get out the real history.

oh, and just a little protocolThe Department of National Defence's internal protocol on half-masting.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I'm not upset about the flag thing. Like Alphacenturi says, the Conservatives are following the official protocol and lowering the flag was a departure from tradition. That being said, I can completely understand the sentiment when the Liberals did it for the first time. It was the first time Canada has lost a soldier during wartime since Korea. It was a very emotional time. But, I'll agree that they should have been consistent about it and done it for all of the soldiers we've lost since then.

I see the media issue differently.While I would have no desire to see photos of caskets with the flag draped over them, I don't think the media should be banned completely. In light of the new restrictions he has placed on the MP's, I feel like I'm seeing a very disturbing trend.

For those of you who aren't Canadian, our new PM has banned all MP's from speaking to the press unless he clears the message first. Break the rule and enjoy your loss of influence and cabinet post. He has also banned the press from areas of parliament they were always allowed to wait in, so the press can't catch MP's for a scrum. Some will tell you this is a good idea, but this government was elected because of promises of openness and accountability and all they've done since the moment they got into power is cut off access to the press.

My personal preference is that the media would not be banned, and that the media would show the proper respect for the soldiers in the use of the information. It's not like we live in the US where there's FOX vs CNN. Most media outlets in Canada treat that kind of thing very respectfully.

If you think nobody cared about our soldiers until someone died, you're sadly mistaken. Just because we don't go around talking about our commitment and having endless TV shows disecting the situation ad naseum, doesn't mean we don't care. What it means is that even after all these years since we've gone to war, Canadians haven't lost their ability to put a good face on and get on with life. We're going to be in Afghanistan for at least 10 more years, we're not leaving early, we support our soldiers and they job they do, end of story. What more is there to say?

Good Lord, this country is not divided on the subject of Afghanistan. Maybe that's why there isn't such endless pissing and moaning about it.

It really makes me sad that you think so poorly of your fellow Canadians.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join