It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you getting squeezed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The current issues with oil and gas prices is really begining troubling me. I know that there is an effective way to bring people together and protest but how? How can we bring people together in an efficient manner and still get our point across? I constantly feel so powerless when it comes to issues such as this. How is it that oil companies can sit back and fill there pockets even more than they already are?

Sorry for all the questions folks I’m just concerned. I am curious how some of you would remedy the situation? How would you bring people together in the most effective way? How does it make you feel? What can be done?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Here's a good protest: take all the vehicles and drive them straight in the ocean. That should get the message that if oil's going to keep getting really expensive we'd rather not drive.

Before some people flip I'm just kidding. But seriously wouldn't it work?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I believe in the 70s they had "gas outs." In other words, everyone tries to drive as little as possible or, preferably, not at all. Though the chances of that happening today? Slim to none, in my opinion.

Also, moving this one to Peak Oil.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I live near a small town (less than 2000 residents) and feel that we can't get a handle on the gasoline/oil situation until people quit doing silly things like driving their children two blocks to drop them off at school. I am not talking about a kindergardener, I am talking about 10-12 year old kids.

People leaving their engines run while they are inside a convenience store.

People who live down a 1/4 to 1/2 mile lane and that drive to the mailbox everyday from their house to collect the mail.

Until we, as a society, decide to use our heads, no plan will work.

JDub

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
We always talk about the profits that the oil companies are making. Let's consider the "cash cow" that the government has. A lion's share of the price, per gallon, goes to the federal and the state governments through gasoline taxes. If the government was really concerned about the impact that high gas prices were having on the economy, much less the average citizen, the government might consider lowering or even suspending some of that tax.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Oh, now, BT! You don't want to point out my State's dirty little secret, do ya? Some private group asked the Governor a while back to suspend it and it was POLITELY refused. Come to find out, it looked like they had to hire more "bean counters" down at State to count all all the money that was flowing into the State coffers each time the price of gasoline jumped.

In our State, some of that money is supposed to go for road repairs but they just had a big meeting with DOT where they pushed quite a few repair projects back 10 years because they supposedly don't have the money.

And yeah, we are one of the states trying to lease our toll road to a foreign country. The ink wasn't even dry on the bill before a private group filed a lawsuit trying to overturn the lease, and the Governor's response was to turn it into a "public lawsuit" which requires that the group that is suing put up a $3 billion bond in case the lawsuit is successful so that the State doesn't lose the revenue from the lease. There is NO WAY this group can put up a $3 billion bond which means the lawsuit will legally be thrown out.

JDub

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Hey guys just doing my part to help out. I found a cool website that displays all of the gas stations in your area from lowest to highest price. It covers the whole United States. You can find the cheapest gas in your neighborhood. Enjoy.

gasbuddy.com

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
BlueTile, a minor point, but one that needs to be made. Leaving the engine running while you do errands saves gas, compared to shutting off and restarting the engine time after time. If I'm not mistaken, you can idle for an hour or more with the gas it takes to start the engine once.

People should conserve, no doubt. In this case though, it might make more sense to leave the engine running as you're in the store.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yeah WyrdeOne I agree with that point, it is easier to leave it idle for that minute rather than have to restart. I noticed this alot when I would be on a bus trip, they would idle the bus for a lengthy period of time rather than have to fire that back up. If I were running to the store myself, I try to leave it run while I dash in quick if its only for a minute. Other than that I do shut it off however, for the fear of someone taking it mainly.

I like the idea cmdrkeenkid has referenced. I have read articles where if the whole world went one day without purchasing any gas whatsoever that the industry would lose millions and millions of dollars.

Demand for any item will drive up the price, if we stop pumping it will lower the demand and lower the cost. Its not reasonable to simply boycot completely, but I am sure we could all sacrifice something in order for a larger cause.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTileSpook
I live near a small town (less than 2000 residents) and feel that we can't get a handle on the gasoline/oil situation until people quit doing silly things like driving their children two blocks to drop them off at school. I am not talking about a kindergardener, I am talking about 10-12 year old kids.

People leaving their engines run while they are inside a convenience store.

People who live down a 1/4 to 1/2 mile lane and that drive to the mailbox everyday from their house to collect the mail.

Until we, as a society, decide to use our heads, no plan will work.

JDub

Yes, we've gotten spoiled in this country--the party's over. Cmdrkeenkid mentioned the 70's--yes, long gas lines, gas stations running dry. My state issued 4-40 work weeks. work 10 hours a day for 4 days so you don't have to drive to work one day. Public transportation, bicycles. And speed limits were set back to 55--believe me, that does save. What followed the high gas prices was a great increase in inflation--cost of doing business for energy and shipping. Energy saving was looked at not just for cars but in other areas--solar was big.
Personally, I'll be driving 55 on the highways, so I don't hear that gulping sound from the engine. Interesting, the political party that wanted to shrink govt is proving once again highly effete when it comes to leading this country. Please, no more commercials with, was it a rat or frog, telling me to just save gas.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I stopped driving when the first gas hikes hit last year. No more Inspection, No more registration fees, No more car insurance, no more gas . Screw them. Its bad enough cigarettes are 6.50 a pack.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The squeeze I'm feeling is for heating this house, that's a lot of extra money I've had to find in my budget. Add to that trying to keep a kid in college, and it feels like a vise-grip--zero extra room for saving. The only break I have is that I drive a company car (with a gas card), and I've spent at least $75 this week on gas alone.

It seems I recall looking into this once before, and my state taxes are per gallon, not per cost of a gallon. So they make the same, one way or the other.

See your state here:
www.gaspricewatch.com...

What gets me is that as long as transportation costs are rising, prices all over will need to rise to. Truckers need to earn a living, goods need to get places...

Here's something that I don't know will work or not, but MoveOn is making a push for it:
Make Work Pay

"...a new national movement to restore the American Dream"

Seems it would only drive up prices more than they already are today. But hey, who isn't for a pay raise in these times of troubles?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Leaving the engine running while you do errands saves gas, compared to shutting off and restarting the engine time after time. If I'm not mistaken, you can idle for an hour or more with the gas it takes to start the engine once.

People should conserve, no doubt. In this case though, it might make more sense to leave the engine running as you're in the store.

I hadn't heard that, but you may be correct. The ones that I am referring to are our retired folks that go into the Village Pantry or Pak-A-Sak (convenience stores) and drink coffee with their fellow retirees while leaving their vehicle run. If the hour mark is true, then it is a wash as far as the amount of gas goes.

Some of these guys have bought the little gas scooters to ride about town, and some have golf carts that they bring.

My only idea was that, if they are going to drink coffee for an extended time, turn the engine off.

If your figure is true, I appreciate you pointing it out to me.

JDub

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I forgot to mention in my prior post, that in the 70's gas price rise, there were only a couple of (Japanese) autos with good fuel economy. The gas crisis prompted the growth in the fuel efficient car market. What are families and retirees going to do nowadays who already drive small cars, cut back on home energy costs, and can't cut back more?

We do need to deluge our elected officials-- "the right of the people … to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Exercise your first amendment right!

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I don't know if this was posted already:

Praying for lowering the gaz price (only in America, it goes without saying, how much more crazy can you go ?).

www.upi.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL
Praying for lowering the gaz price (only in America, it goes without saying, how much more crazy can you go ?).
www.upi.com...

Why, PopeyeFAFL, that's to counteract OBL praying to his god to keep gas prices high. Let the prayer wars begin!
Buckle up, folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

top topics

join