It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question About Past Presidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Does anyone know if there has ever been a President in the United States that was not formally educated; and if so, which?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Lincoln for one. I would have to look up the biographies to get more. I don't believe Andy Jackson was highly educated, he was near illiterate.

12 presidents held the rank of General. 1 had a PhD (real, not honorary). 1 was a spy for the U.S. earlier in his life (arguably 2). 2 sets of father/son. 1 set of grandfather/grandson. 1 set of cousins.

This thread could turn into a trivia fest.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Here (linked below) is a list of Presidents and their education.
See "List by Presidents," where it indicated 'school(s)':
Andrew Jackson has "None" listed, as does Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, and Grover Cleveland.
List of United States Presidents by College Education

seekerof

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hmm I always thought that Lincoln was a lawyer. Ya learn something new everyday.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
Hmm I always thought that Lincoln was a lawyer. Ya learn something new everyday.

He was, but self taught.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Thanks alot for that list Seekerof. The only one I really had knowledge of was Lincoln; I knew his education was questionable since he was mostly self-taught and his 'education' consisted of schooling by unofficial teachers for something like 18 months. But anyways, thanks for the help; was looking for something like a list.

-Omniscient

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I seem to recall from somewhere that Andrew Johnson was taught to read by his wife; in any case, his language was apparently quite coarse and not reflective of higher education.

new topics

top topics

join