It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia, Playing Both Sides Of The Table?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Recent news shows that Russia has just launched a satellite for the Israelis. Israel specifically stated this satellite would be used to spy on Iranians nuclear programs. This comes as a surprise since Russia has been known to support Iran in many cases. Israel states they are taking the Iranian threat very seriously.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
MOSCOW -- Russia on Tuesday launched a satellite for Israel that the Israelis say will be used to spy on Iran's nuclear program.

The Eros B satellite was launched from a mobile pad at the Svobodny cosmodrome in the Far East, said Alexei Kuznetsov, a spokesman for the Russian military space forces.

"The Israeli satellite reached its target orbit and has been transferred to the client's control," Kuznetsov was quoted as saying by the ITAR-Tass news agency.
The satellite is designed to spot images on the ground as small as 27 1/2 inches, an Israeli defense official said. That level of resolution would allow Israel to gather information on Iran's nuclear program and its long-range missiles, which are capable of striking Israel, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This will prove very useful for Israel. Its high resolution will allow them to see just what is going on in Iran, which I personally have no problem with. What makes me surprised is Russia helping the Israelis spy on Iran, who they have been helping in numerous ways as well. They definately seem to be playing both sides of the table, and showing further more that they see Iran as a business advantage and nothing more.

Related News Links:
www.ynetnews.com
www.haaretzdaily.com

[edit on 25-4-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Russia is on Russia's side.

Not the US's, not Iran's, not Israel's.

Once you understand that, their actions make a lot more sense.

Really, that's true of just about any nation, but the Russians simply don't bother to hide it (at least since the demise of the Soviet Union) - with no particular ideological axes to grind, they are working on a basis of almost pure realpolitik.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Xmotex:

I disagree that the US exercises similar dispassionate "realpolitik" as you describe. The opposite is true -- the US obsession with the defense of Israel's interests virtually consumes the US foreign policy at a great cost in lives in resources to the American people. I can only wish that our leaders were as pragmatic as Russians.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Seems pretty obvious that Russia will do what is best for Russia. Heck, according to this story, they're selling Iran almost a quarter billion dollars worth of mobile anti-aircraft systems. I guess they want to keep tabs on the equipment in the event the repo man needs to visit.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I disagree that the US exercises similar dispassionate "realpolitik" as you describe.

I don't think it does. Maybe under the last administration.

The current one is obsessively ideology-driven, to the point that practical concerns get thrown out the window.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
no we are pro israel. its pretty obvious we are. russia is playing both sides of the table here though. Not saying its a bad thing just pointing out that they arent trying to start some sort of conspiracy with iran to form some sort of alliance. when the bombs start falling, whether it be israel or iran, russia wont back them at all. they will sell the weapons now, but they arent going to get involved with a war physically.

top topics

join