It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do u think the universe is expanding?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
^see topic. and will it ever stop expanding or will the universe just expand itself to nothingness and simply disappear...any reasons anyone

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Is the Universe expanding?

bc here] If we follow the orthodox view, then Red Shift says the Universe is expanding.

However, if we discount Red Shift long enough to think it out carefully .. we find an alternative in gravitational fields distorting the light band.

So which to believe? I lean toward a Universe that we don't understand yet!

bc

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
so if the universe is in its gaseous form, isnt it supposed to move about randomly in all directions hence expanding or is the purpose of dark matter to actually hold everything in place?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
i'm more for a finite forever looping kind of universe.

I heard an explanation once that sat well with me.

It's described as this -
we're like an ant on a balloon, the surface of the balloon is our 3d world here. The ant can see all directions around it, but not above and below. Whether there exists anything apart from the balloons surface, we don't know. We can only observe the surface of the balloon. If we walk around the balloon as an ant, it will look like we're going in a straight line but we'll end up where we started eventually.
The balloon is also expanding.
To the ant, it will appear as if things are getting further away. I believe it has been observed this to be happening in our universe. Things seem to be travelling away at great speeds. But is it just that our balloon is expanding, thus stretching out the space in between?

The infinite universe just does not seem right to me, it would be about the only thing that is infinite, as nothing really else is. I believe if this pattern holds true for everything else, it would hold true for the universe itself.
You could argue there an infinite amount of atoms etc but i suppose there is a set number...though incomprehensable. Perhaps the universe is incomprehensably large, yet finite too, much like atoms are?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
so if this balloon has a finite size, does that mean there are more balloons out there? time-travel is possible then...

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't see how that makes time travel possible?
But it does make you wonder what is outside of the balloon. If the balloon is our 3rd dimension, maybe outside of it is the 4th.
It makes you wonder if there are other balloons too.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
hey i just wanted to point out that u were born 1 day earlier than me...cool. i would love to know how many twins i have out here...

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
haha
Well what i would like to know,
is how many people born on the same day as me, are similar to me.
According to astrology, we should all be pretty damn similar.

Not sure how important the time is.
But this is pretty off topic anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Actually.. I think a more important question would be... what is the universe expanding INTO?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
No idea.
But just try to keep in mind that there may be no actual edge to this universe, as there would be no edge to the 2D balloon, thought of in 3D form as stated above. I suppose it would still need something to expand into anyway.

top topics

join